Would you rather have GMO oranges or none at all?

Options
1235»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think that there are some real issues to be discussed regarding GMOs, I just think most people are focused on the wrong thing. And the fear mongering surround them makes me want to err on the side of the GMOs, because fear mongering rubs me the wrong way.

QFT! I hate fear-mongering and lying about scientific facts!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    28vdqpy.jpg
  • Elizabeth_in_MN
    Elizabeth_in_MN Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    ....Now don't get me wrong. I understand where my liberal friends are coming from. I share the same desire for a safe and healthy food supply. There's a LOT that disturbs me about the state of food production and distribution in America.

I think Monsanto is evil, that patenting seeds and suing farmers is unethical, and that some GMO crops (like Roundup Ready Soybeans) lend themselves to irresponsible pesticide use and cross-contamination.

But I'm also not going to let my anti-corporate sentiments get in the way of a diverse and promising field of research....
    Most of the people in my life that are all "GMOs are evil!" are extremely conservative, but a lot of the public fear mongering also comes from extreme liberals as well. Interesting. It sounds like the extremes have found something to bond together on. Wheee!

Meanwhile, yes. Monsanto is pretty icky. They have poor business practices. But Monsanto does not hold the key to science (they do, however have a heck of a lot of money so they can buy some righteous lab machines to make research more quicker and more accurate). As Mark Lynas said being against GMOs because of Monsanto "is like being against all computer software because you object to the dominant position of Microsoft Office."

And while antidotical, I find the presentations of Mark Lynas quite interesting. Not sure who Mark Lynas is? The founder of the anti-GMO movement. I encourage anyone who has not watched him talk look him up. Too lazy to look him up (don't worry, I was too)? A good place to start is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoRDKFX-NUA

That video also holds the quote above.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Seeds of Death: Unveiling The Lies of GMO's - Full Movie - YouTube
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6OxbpLwEjQ

Seeds of Destruction
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSDEkoPwMfk

Nothing says super credible and rational like youtube conspiracy documentaries!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm with you guys. I absolutely don't want to live in a world where science tries to make our food tastier, more nutritious, and more plentiful. I mean, we've already got plenty to go around right? Keep the science in the lab, and out of my body, thanks.
    For the win......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Whatever Bill Belichick tells me to do.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Whatever Bill Belichick tells me to do.

I agree with this 100%.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Saying things like 'they don't want you to know your food contains GMOs' and 'they're banned in some countries'...

This is because of consumer pressure. This is because people are afraid of them. Not because they have any information that they're going to sprout limbs and strangle you.