How do you eat??

Options
2»

Replies

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm struggling with this. I recently switched to a vegetarian diet for reasons other than weight loss, but I was encouraged by stories from other people about how they started dropping weight as soon as they stopped eating animal products. Not true for me. I also stopped casual drinking at home, so no more glass or wine or beer most evenings. Guess what - haven't lost a single pound from that change, either. I guess I'm going to have to start logging again, but I totally hate doing it. Maybe if I can hang in there long enough to create about a two weeks rotation of appropriate meals, it won't be so unbearable. Sigh ... maybe. Change is tough.

If you haven't been doing this for at least two weeks, you really can't know what sort of results you might be getting. Hang in there! And just because a lot of people here log indefinitely doesn't mean you need to - try logging for just a week or so and seeing what sort of data you can get from that. Good luck!

Vegetarian diet has been for at least 6 weeks. Before the change, I was bouncing between 198 and 201. Now I'm bouncing between 196 and 199, so there's been a little change from that, not enough that anyone would notice. I gave up a near-daily drink about 2 weeks ago with no change from that.

Anyway, for me, little changes don't add up to big losses. Heck, so far, big changes haven't added up to little losses. However, I am going to hang in there and log for awhile. I'm not sure I'm getting enough protein as a vegetarian.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this. I recently switched to a vegetarian diet for reasons other than weight loss, but I was encouraged by stories from other people about how they started dropping weight as soon as they stopped eating animal products. Not true for me. I also stopped casual drinking at home, so no more glass or wine or beer most evenings. Guess what - haven't lost a single pound from that change, either. I guess I'm going to have to start logging again, but I totally hate doing it. Maybe if I can hang in there long enough to create about a two weeks rotation of appropriate meals, it won't be so unbearable. Sigh ... maybe. Change is tough.

If you haven't been doing this for at least two weeks, you really can't know what sort of results you might be getting. Hang in there! And just because a lot of people here log indefinitely doesn't mean you need to - try logging for just a week or so and seeing what sort of data you can get from that. Good luck!

Vegetarian diet has been for at least 6 weeks. Before the change, I was bouncing between 198 and 201. Now I'm bouncing between 196 and 199, so there's been a little change from that, not enough that anyone would notice. I gave up a near-daily drink about 2 weeks ago with no change from that.

Anyway, for me, little changes don't add up to big losses. Heck, so far, big changes haven't added up to little losses. However, I am going to hang in there and log for awhile. I'm not sure I'm getting enough protein as a vegetarian.

well that would be because being a vegetarian doesn't guarantee you are in a deficit...why go vegetarian?
    and giving up a drink doesn't either...chances are you filled those calories with something else.

To see the changes and lose weight you need to be in a deficit...do you log consistently and accurately? using a food scale or cups or estimates?

are you in a deficit/
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

I get that it is frustrating not to see the results that you want, but are you happy with those two changes otherwise? You said you had other reasons for going veggie, and presumably you had other reasons for quitting the drinking as well, right? So, keep at it! It took me several months to get to a point of deficit, but giving up never got anyone anywhere. As @SezxyStef said, if you are removing calories from your diet but not losing weight, it's probably because you're replacing those calories in some way - i.e. more desert instead of that drink, or more french fries because you got the veggie burger. Log for a little while and see what you find out.

But also, if what you're doing is really unbearable, you need to find something different to do. Unbearable diets don't work, because as soon as the weight is lost, you'll stop whatever unbearable thing you did to lose weight, and back the weight will come.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    for me, I added more than I took away. I usually ate lots of chicken, rice & some veggies so I only have rice once in a while & veggies,salad most days. I only ate twice a day but now I eat 3 times & 3 snacks. I discovered so many foods I hardly or never ate. It's an adventure
  • dawn_westbury
    dawn_westbury Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the comments, they are really helping me!!!!
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It's hard to break that black and white mentality, that it's all or nothing.
    Little changes lead to new habits. Radical changes lead to revolts, and right back to square one.
    Btw, Taco Bell isn't actually that bad. It's just calorie dense food, so drink some water before you start eating to balance out the volume in your stomach.