First day on keto

Options
13»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jadebuniel wrote: »
    Also I'm going for less than 50g carbs a day. Should I go for less than 20g?

Keto has a pretty big range and depends on several factors. I know people in ketosis at 200g of carbs a day. But generally, 20 to 50g is a good range. The more sedentary you are, the lower you might need to be.

But then again, it comes down to, what are your goals.
  • astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Carb flu is real. Sugar withdrawal is real. Happens to me every time I do a Whole30.
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    R
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rfrenkel77 wrote: »
    Psu you putting out much confusing info for beginners. Basic guideline is to keep carb intake low as possible 20g. Which is easily covered by nuts and salad. Every thing else is high fat meats and oil. And protein you get from meat. Simple.

Correcting misinformation is not making it confusing. Telling someone they need to hit 20g of carbs or less to hit ketosis is wrong. It is far more of a range than you descibe.

If the OP finds it easier to achieve at 50g vs 20g, then great, especially if it enhances complaince. Heck, the OP wants, they can start at 50g and taper as they see fit. Either way, the only thing that matters for weight loss is calories.

If a person experiences cramping, flu like symptoms or headaches, then increase sodium, magnesium and potassium (supplement if needed) or get some ketoaid/broth.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    jadebuniel wrote: »
    Just a thought, can I have a low carb, moderate fat, and high protein diet? So my body fat can be used as ketones. Or it doesn't work that way? I'm pretty fat guy about nearly 30% body fat

You can eat what you like. Keto is not magical, and is not necessary for weight loss. Calorie deficit is necessary, and how you fill your calories is up to you. To be honest, it doesn't sound from your posts that the keto way of eating works for you. Carbs are not evil, stressing about fruit and vegetables is ridiculous, as is avoiding food you enjoy (that could easily be fit in to your calories) for the sake of "being in ketosis".