Is cardio necessary to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    lk031 wrote: »
    I've been working out for about 6 months. In the first three months I had been doing cardio (treadmill or C25K running program) in addition to various classes at the gym - most days I did 2 workouts, one cardio and one something else.
    For the most recent three months the cardio has dropped off (slacker) but I still do at least one class at the gym (45-60min) per day.
    The whole time I have tracked calorie intake (1200 cal target) and macros. In the first three months I lost about 12 pounds but I have not lost any more since then. Is the lack of cardio to blame? I'm just confused and could use some opinions. Thanks :)

no. you can lift weights and lose weight. Weight loss technically has nothing to do with exercise. It is calories in vs out.

To lose weight you need to take in less calories than you burn.
  • sheepingly
    Options
    I've been working out for about 6 months. In the first three months I had been doing cardio (treadmill or C25K running program) in addition to various classes at the gym - most days I did 2 workouts, one cardio and one something else.
    For the most recent three months the cardio has dropped off (slacker) but I still do at least one class at the gym (45-60min) per day.
    The whole time I have tracked calorie intake (1200 cal target) and macros. In the first three months I lost about 12 pounds but I have not lost any more since then. Is the lack of cardio to blame? I'm just confused and could use some opinions. Thanks :)

You are probably plateauing. If you are working out more you need to eat more. Or have a refeed day or something to shock the system. Change up your workouts etc.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    sheepingly wrote: »

You are probably plateauing. If you are working out more you need to eat more. Or have a refeed day or something to shock the system. Change up your workouts etc.

you cant shock your system.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options

Yes you can. You can change up your habits over time to get your body adjusted to something else

Nobody can get used to 1200 calories a day plus an hour long class at the gym on the daily.

Something is off. Follow the flow chart.
  • skinnysharia
    skinnysharia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I realize that what I am about to say will be controversial and goes against everything everyone here is saying but...you may need to increase your calories. 1200 calories is very low for the amount of exercise you are doing. Your body is probably not being adequately fueled and so it is holding on to every pound so it can to survive. Google a BMR/TDEE calculator. Look at the calories your body needs just to live if you are in a coma. I bet the 1200 calories you are eating is less than your Basal Metabolic Rate. Then look at your Total Daily Energy Expenditure - the calories your body needs to maintain your current weight. It is amazing how much we should be eating to fuel our bodies. Google Eat More 2 Weigh Less if you want more information. It's a weird way of thinking about weight loss but it works.
  • sheepingly
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

Yes you can. You can change up your habits over time to get your body adjusted to something else

Nobody can get used to 1200 calories a day plus an hour long class at the gym on the daily.

Something is off. Follow the flow chart.

That's what i'm saying something is off. i.e. their body needs more/different.
  • sheepingly
    Options
    I realize that what I am about to say will be controversial and goes against everything everyone here is saying but...you may need to increase your calories. 1200 calories is very low for the amount of exercise you are doing. Your body is probably not being adequately fueled and so it is holding on to every pound so it can to survive. Google a BMR/TDEE calculator. Look at the calories your body needs just to live if you are in a coma. I bet the 1200 calories you are eating is less than your Basal Metabolic Rate. Then look at your Total Daily Energy Expenditure - the calories your body needs to maintain your current weight. It is amazing how much we should be eating to fuel our bodies. Google Eat More 2 Weigh Less if you want more information. It's a weird way of thinking about weight loss but it works.

Yep that's what i said. 1200 is a baseline for some people. The more you work out the more you need to eat. Follow the TDEE rule i guess if anything.
  • aeloine
    Options
    I just peeked through her diary. It looks empty... but with a lot of prepackaged stuff. What is "1 serving chicken parmigiana"?

Are you weighing the sausage links or just assuming that the weight is correct? Often with prepackaged foods, the servings are waaaay off from the suggested serving sizes.
  • aeloine
    edited September 2017
    Options
    s065l9xjfml4.jpg
    35ht3a9in5pe.jpg
    wj5914zr7kmm.jpg
    aqbuu4owt43h.jpg

Some entries don't make sense - how can you have McDonald's salad with chili's dressing?

Are you building recipes for all the homemade stuff?

Everything that's guessed is high calorie. It's not eyeballing sugar free creamer... it's eyeballing creamy enchiladas. Most of the time, a restaurant serves MORE than 1 serving per plate. I guarantee you're eating over 1,200 calories.

And not all of your days even hit 1,000 calories, so you're not logging EVERYTHING.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

She's not actually eating 1200 or less calories. Once she tightens up her logging, I'd bet she is eating quite a bit more.

Eat More 2 weigh Less is still about eating at a calorie deficit, it has to do with if you eat too little eventually it slows down your rate of loss. Regardless, first you have to make sure you know how many calories you are eating before you just randomly increase your calories. NO full grown woman who isn't super short and sedentary would be maintaining at less than 1200 calories, no matter how long she was dieting.

And actually EM2WL is a group right here on MFP, you can find it in the groups section.
  • lk031
    lk031 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    (Sigh, now I feel nice and embarrassed lol) - the entries that make the least sense (like mcdonalds + chilis) are things that I tried to piece together when eating out at a restaurant - I was just picking things from the list since the restaurant had no info, so they are definitely guesses. I'm not sure how to approach measuring food at restaurants and I eat out fairly often.
    The chicken parm was a recipe I made myself (so the cals on that came from putting the recipe entry in the app). I use the barcode scanner on the prepackaged foods that I make myself at home, I figured that would be accurate, but now I'll be keeping an eye on the serving sizes.

I guess it's a combo of too much restaurant food (despite trying to pick not-terrible things) and not logging right. I thought I had a pretty good sense of ounces from eyeballing it (especially since I was losing weight for three months) but maybe not.

I appreciate all the feedback from you all. I'll buckle down and try again. If my logging has been wrong the whole time, that does explain why I was losing for the first three months with cardio and not since then. Still pretty new to this whole thing.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

your body may get more efficient at burning calories with certain exercises sure, but you arent shocking your body by switching to something else,you just have to find something that burns more calories. the easier something gets the less your body has to work at it so the less calories you burn. but again you still arent shocking it.

for most people when they hit a plateau or arent losing its caused by a few things usually not logging accurately,not weighing everything,overestimating exercise calories and eating too much back,not recalculating your calorie goals with each 10-20lbs lost,or a combo of all of those things.for some it may even be an underlying health issue,or even a cheat meal can knock them out of a deficit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

no if she was indeed eating 1200 and working out she would be losing weight your body does not hold onto everything when in a deficit of calories. if so anorexics,people in starving countries and concentration camps would not lose weight so quickly. sure you should eat to fuel your body but even eating below your BMR(which is not advisable although obese people may be able to do this safely for a short time) would result in weight loss.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    s065l9xjfml4.jpg
    35ht3a9in5pe.jpg
    wj5914zr7kmm.jpg
    aqbuu4owt43h.jpg

Some entries don't make sense - how can you have McDonald's salad with chili's dressing?

Are you building recipes for all the homemade stuff?

Everything that's guessed is high calorie. It's not eyeballing sugar free creamer... it's eyeballing creamy enchiladas. Most of the time, a restaurant serves MORE than 1 serving per plate. I guarantee you're eating over 1,200 calories.

And not all of your days even hit 1,000 calories, so you're not logging EVERYTHING.

if anything was weighed her diary doesnt reflect it at all. those things if not weighed can be anywhere from 30-100s of calories more than they really are. the mcdonalds salad doesnt even say which size it is.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    (Sigh, now I feel nice and embarrassed lol) - the entries that make the least sense (like mcdonalds + chilis) are things that I tried to piece together when eating out at a restaurant - I was just picking things from the list since the restaurant had no info, so they are definitely guesses. I'm not sure how to approach measuring food at restaurants and I eat out fairly often.
    The chicken parm was a recipe I made myself (so the cals on that came from putting the recipe entry in the app). I use the barcode scanner on the prepackaged foods that I make myself at home, I figured that would be accurate, but now I'll be keeping an eye on the serving sizes.

I guess it's a combo of too much restaurant food (despite trying to pick not-terrible things) and not logging right. I thought I had a pretty good sense of ounces from eyeballing it (especially since I was losing weight for three months) but maybe not.

I appreciate all the feedback from you all. I'll buckle down and try again. If my logging has been wrong the whole time, that does explain why I was losing for the first three months with cardio and not since then. Still pretty new to this whole thing.
    Don't be embarrassed, if you ask for help you will definitely get opinions from every side about everything you were doing! Counting calories accurately and eating out frequently is tough to do.

As for why you were losing at first and not now, the extra cardio was earning you some extra exercise calories so you were able to eat more than you thought you were and still stay in a deficit. That's why MFP gives you a calorie estimate for your cardio and instructs you to eat more when you exercise more.

Without the cardio, your calories out are lower, so your logging errors are catching up to you.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It isn't necessary but it is essential.
  • farmgirlco
    farmgirlco Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Running two miles burns twice as much energy as walking two miles because running involves jumping from foot to foot, eg fighting gravity in a way that walking does not.

i believe it burns slightly more, but no way it's even close to twice as much.

Agree. When I walk for an hour I burn near 400 calories, when I add jogging it's about 525-600. Not double, but still better!!
  • thespringbuck
    thespringbuck Posts: 27 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I've skimmed through the responses here to make sure I'm not repeating what everyone has already said and there are some going in the right direction towards the end, the majority are missing it though.

1200 calories is just too low, you cannot sustain that level of activity on 1200 calories. Your body has down regulated it's metabolism in order to survive essentially, so what you need to be doing is to slowly start consuming more calories with a focus on a positive protein balance.

This is a slow reverse diet, you can't just go from where you are now to higher calories overnight, it takes time and during that time, your metabolism with adjust accordingly.

In conjunction with this, you need to pull back on the amount of cardio you're doing each week, focus more on being more active in general day to day and get down to the weights section. Muscle is metabolically active tissue, it burns calories by simply existing (and no u won't turn into hulk).

[post edited by MFP moderator]
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I've skimmed through the responses here to make sure I'm not repeating what everyone has already said and there are some going in the right direction towards the end, the majority are missing it though.

1200 calories is just too low, you cannot sustain that level of activity on 1200 calories. Your body has down regulated it's metabolism in order to survive essentially, so what you need to be doing is to slowly start consuming more calories with a focus on a positive protein balance.

This is a slow reverse diet, you can't just go from where you are now to higher calories overnight, it takes time and during that time, your metabolism with adjust accordingly.

In conjunction with this, you need to pull back on the amount of cardio you're doing each week, focus more on being more active in general day to day and get down to the weights section. Muscle is metabolically active tissue, it burns calories by simply existing (and no u won't turn into hulk).

except if you look at her logging and read her posts above - she isn't weighing her food and isn't actually eating 1200 calories per day.