going vegan

wanna try and go vegan pros and cons

Replies

• tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Why does being vegan mean giving up starches and grains? I mean, you can if you want, but I don't think it's a requirement. (If it is, my cookbooks are doing it wrong.)

oh no im on a weight loss journey so my vegan is a bit more stricter so i havent had rice or pasta in two years.. thats because before "going vegan" i was already paleo..
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    iMikey wrote: »
    Congratulations. If you have a whole foods near you this will be much easier.

I keep seeing a pros and cons list on here.
    I'd add to the pros you're lowering your risk of obtaining cancer, there's numerous studies on meat/dairy linked to cancer. (Dr. T Colin Campbell, Dr. John McDougall; they stress that they have a plant-based lifestyle and they're not vegans but they avoid all meats and dairies)
    Another pro is your fat intake will go down easy, as your macros should be based on a high carb diet, with most of your carbs coming from plant-based foods.

Do your research do your research and more research.

I would say avoid opinions from people that haven't even gave a single second of research on the subject.
    Most people in the gym always ask me how much chicken I eat, because I'm tall, slim and have good muscle definition. That's where I tell them I don't eat meat, and I get sucked into a rabbit hole with some man/woman trying to indoctrinate me to eating meat and telling me how I need protein and I won't be able to blah blah blah...

I'm an ectomorph, I make sure to get most of my Daily Vitamins, 7-8 hours of sleep and 3500+ calories a day. I'm seeing strength gains, I never feel bloated, my poop looks healthy, I also work out 6-7 days a week.
    Funny everyone tells me 6-7 is too much but I'm out performing them. Just please do your research or else you'll get indoctrinated with someones loose ideas on how they believe something works.

Take what they say with a grain a salt, including this, and challenge it by doing your research and form your own opinion.

Good Will to you!

Some people find that their fat intake goes down when they become vegan, but with foods like coconut, avocado, nuts, seeds, and plant oils, it doesn't for everyone. It's possible to do a moderate or high fat vegan diet if that is what someone desires.
  • iMikey
    iMikey Posts: 17 Member
    edited September 2017

Some people find that their fat intake goes down when they become vegan, but with foods like coconut, avocado, nuts, seeds, and plant oils, it doesn't for everyone. It's possible to do a moderate or high fat vegan diet if that is what someone desires.

It's important to state that all fats are not created equal. Including Saturated fats. AHA (American Heart Association) swears that coconut oil is bad for you on the sole basis that it contains a large % of saturated fat per cal.

There are 13 clinical studies done that show the effects coconut oil has on Weight Loss, Metabolism, Cholesterol, Triglycerides and Inflammation. I'm pretty sure most people would call these results positive.

Each study is sourced here

http://www.healthline.com/nutrition/coconut-oil-studies#section2
  • iMikey
    iMikey Posts: 17 Member
    Saturated fat is a thing, but I don't know what that has to do with this statement: "Another pro is your fat intake will go down easy . . . "

Some vegans find that their fat intake decreases, others find that it stays the same or even increases. It comes down to specific foods chosen, just like it does for non-vegans.

Ah you're totally right, I botched that. It should've said something along the lines of reducing body fat %
    And hey I guess we'll leave the saturated fat data there as a bonus
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    dommie06 wrote: »
    wanna try and go vegan pros and cons

Pros - moral considerations more than anything else.

Cons - it's quite restrictive to do 'just because' and needs to include your entire lifestyle (including clothes, etc.)

If you want to change your diet for health reasons, you may be fine just going vegetarian (no meat, but yes to eggs and dairy), or a modification of vegetarian. Basically, you can go vegan without actually going full vegan.

Don't call yourself a vegan if you still continue to wear leather, etc. since it will make you seem like a totally trendy hypocrite to most of the world and the hardcore vegans will hate you for tainting their turf. If people ask what diet you're on, just tell them you're a vegetarian. There's much less social stigma to deal with.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    I think that the most important thing about making a choice like this is to make the decision for you and don't try to force it on others. There are two types of people that annoy the hell out of me in the diet and fitness community. Vegans and Crossfitters. If the first time I meet someone and before I know their last name they are lecturing me on my diet or making comments about what I am eating or they are trying to get me to sign up for their box or telling me about their box in the first 5 minutes of meeting them I immediately want to slap them and walk away. Make a life choice for all the right reasons for you and only base it on that. The best people to have in your corner will support you in whatever makes you happy and gets you the best results. Best of luck with your goals!
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    Glad to see all the people in this thread explaining the ethical stance that is veganism. I hate that plant-based and vegan get conflated.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Why does being vegan mean giving up starches and grains? I mean, you can if you want, but I don't think it's a requirement. (If it is, my cookbooks are doing it wrong.)

oh no im on a weight loss journey so my vegan is a bit more stricter so i havent had rice or pasta in two years.. thats because before "going vegan" i was already paleo..

Your veganism isn't stricter, you're just layering on additional restrictions in addition to veganism.

aka stricter