Runners: Favorite smartwatch

Options
13»

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think the quality of Garmin can't be beat. I have only taken mine off to charge since last January, still works as it did on day one. Even the screen is still perfect.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Garmin Fenix 5S. I originally had a Fenix 3 but then had to take a year off from sports after surgery, so my husband took it and then bought me the 5S after my recovery. The slightly smaller size of the 5S is way more appropriate for my wrist. It's waterproof so I can wear it when I swim laps (I'm terrible at keeping track of my yardage otherwise) and has a very easy triathlon mode too. Tons of analytics. Easy to sync with my iPhone/Strava/mfp.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Watches that track exercise record great detail, and send it to other software. That usually happens over Bluetooth, because it's more convenient than having to plug your watch into your computer to see your data. Once you have a watch exchanging data with a phone, you might as well go whole hog and throw in stuff like text messages, you've already built the infrastructure for it, and they add a lot of value for very little additional cost.

I wouldn't mind having that stuff, its just not necessary. I did like that my watch would vibrate with phone calls.

I'm not really a phone person and didn't expect to get much use out of those features. I kind of thought they were a gimmick. Turns out they mean I can set my phone down and forget about it, still getting my texts, and seeing that they don't need an immediate response. I also like the "find my phone" feature. :smile:

I generally leave my phone on full silent/vibrate. the watch means I don't miss important calls if the phone isn't on my belt or in my hand.

OH, and Garmin. I've got the VA1, and it's been amazing.

Unlike the Apple and Samsung smart watch entries, it doesn't try to be a phone and a computer as well as a watch, It's just a watch with Bluetooth and a few extra features.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I've used an Apple Watch for the last two years. Love the smart watch features, not as enthused with the workout features (and that's more a fault of the shortcomings in their workout tracking app than anything else). I bought a Garmin 935 which will be arriving today. Obviously I can't speak to its features yet, but I'm looking forward to using it.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It's not out yet, but the Fitbit Ionic looks pretty cool to hit around the $300 price point. Looks like Fitbit finally made it waterproof for swimming, and they made the GPS built-in. I also personally like that it will have the ability to store music
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Watches that track exercise record great detail, and send it to other software. That usually happens over Bluetooth, because it's more convenient than having to plug your watch into your computer to see your data. Once you have a watch exchanging data with a phone, you might as well go whole hog and throw in stuff like text messages, you've already built the infrastructure for it, and they add a lot of value for very little additional cost.

I wouldn't mind having that stuff, its just not necessary. I did like that my watch would vibrate with phone calls.

I'm not really a phone person and didn't expect to get much use out of those features. I kind of thought they were a gimmick. Turns out they mean I can set my phone down and forget about it, still getting my texts, and seeing that they don't need an immediate response. I also like the "find my phone" feature. :smile:

I generally leave my phone on full silent/vibrate. the watch means I don't miss important calls if the phone isn't on my belt or in my hand.

OH, and Garmin. I've got the VA1, and it's been amazing.

Unlike the Apple and Samsung smart watch entries, it doesn't try to be a phone and a computer as well as a watch, It's just a watch with Bluetooth and a few extra features.

I agree they got the balance just right. Each "smart" feature they add makes the device more complicated to use, and hurts battery life. They put enough in to be useful, without taking away from the fitness and sport focus.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin fenix 5s. It's pricey but worth every penny--I bought it when I replaced my fourth Fitbit that went bust.
    I wear it every day (it's an attractive watch) and it tracks all sorts of activities. I'm a long distance runner and I crosstrain with indoor cycling.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    35778064171_b5051189e3_o_d.jpg
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

That looks like Colorado.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Most Garmin watches can do navigation, even if they don't have maps. You have to plan your route ahead of time on a PC or a phone; having maps in the watch means the watch itself can choose your route.

I know we're talking about running watches, the same features are useful for cycling too.

36738361920_d5ba3bf72a_o_d.jpg

This updates with your progress as you ride (or run) but I hadn't started yet:

36738361520_9257fe2baf_o_d.jpg

You don't need maps to do this, the file you navigate from can have these points in it:

36738361330_48e12d4741_o_d.jpg

The watch vibrates before the turn and shows you where to go, then again at the turn. Right afterwards, it tells you how long until the next turn and the name of the street you'll be looking out for.

Honestly, parking somewhere unfamiliar and letting the watch choose the route feels pretty adventurous. Not much idea what's coming up next, you can not know where you are, but know you'll be led back to where you started, it's great.

Finally, here's a pic from the ride above. You can have it avoid unpaved roads, I like it better this way.

36738260510_4b0863f6b7_o_d.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    Options

That looks like Colorado.

I've always thought this part of Washington (Harts Pass) looks a lot like Colorado, too. :smile:
  • macclone
    macclone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think the quality of Garmin can't be beat. I have only taken mine off to charge since last January, still works as it did on day one. Even the screen is still perfect.

Same for me and my Apple Watch. 2 years old and still as good as the day I bought it.