Is it necessary to eat every 2 or 3 hours?

Is it necessary to eat every 2 or 3 hours for weighg loss..my nuyritionist say if u dont eat every 2 or 3 hours...body forms gas and bloating...is it true

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Not at all.

Purely personal preference.

Perhaps she is talking about you specifically getting that problem, because that's not true at all in general.

I don't eat all day until 8-11 pm after exercise - no gas or bloating for me.

Unless I eat a carb heavy or only meal or snack. Then yes.
    I do have a little problem with carbs, or rather my insulin response does - eating every 2-3 hrs would be a great way for me to be in a tired state all day long, I'll say that.

You might look up the degrees they have, and if recent.
  • aleumdaum
    aleumdaum Posts: 5 Member
    No
    I only eat when i get hungry. A 300 - 400 cal meal last me about 5- 6 hours until im hungry again.
  • HitenL
    HitenL Posts: 38 Member
    I eat when I am hungry. Depending on what I have eaten I could go many hours before I feel hungry again.
  • jamesmburns90
    jamesmburns90 Posts: 10 Member
    Short answer is no. As said in a previous reply, eatting smaller meals every few hours is to mainly prevent hunger from kicking in and throwing your diet out a window.
    Eat when you're hungry is the way to go, just watch your portion size and make sure your meals are full of the nutrients the body needs to function.
    High protein food along with great complex carbs are the best way to keep the hunger away.

Though on another note, hunger CAN make the body bloat and gassy. The reason it doesn't happen when sleeping is because your metabolism slows right down and the body simply doesn't need that much energy.

So in conclusion...eat when you're hungry.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    It is not necessary, but I think it really depends on your own hunger cues. I eat frequently, smaller meals, because I like it that way and it keeps me from being overly hungry.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Is it necessary to eat every 2 or 3 hours for weighg loss..my nuyritionist say if u dont eat every 2 or 3 hours...body forms gas and bloating...is it true

For weight loss you just need a calorie deficit. Meal timing is personal preference and has little to do with gas and bloating I think.

Eating too fast can contribute to gas and bloating as you swallow air.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gas-and-gas-pains/in-depth/gas-and-gas-pains/ART-20044739?pg=1

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I don't think that sounds right, why eat every 2/3 hours if you aren't hungry?
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    I've lost over 130lbs only eating, usually, twice a day. I wouldn't be taking advice from them anymore if I was you. Their information is completely inaccurate.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Nope. 35 lbs lost and maintained for 1.5 years while fasting for about 16 hours every day and eating 2 meals a day.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    I eat and snack whenever I am hungry I just keep it within my calories for the day that is all you need to do to lose weight.