Is it necessarily bad to have running as your sole source of exercise?

Options
Sorry for all the questions of late, just a lot of transition recently so I need to lean on folks with more experience. I used to lift fairly regularly in the not so distant past. When I began creeping into 25+ miles per week territory, this fell of substantially. The last 6 weeks since I began training for my first half, I honestly have quit going to the gym entirely to focus on running. I guess what I am asking is can I just keep doing what I am doing and not bother with the gym anymore? The results distance running have given me have been miraculous. I wear a 32 inch waist jeans for the first time since probably middle school, and people who have not seen me in awhile hardly recognize me. My endurance and speed seems to keep rising in a fairly linear fashion and physically I feel fantastic. Anything wrong with just running to stay in shape?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Well, it doesn't do much for upper body strength. I speak as a runner, myself. I *wish* I believed it was all I needed.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You should do some strength training to prevent injuries.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I only run and walk and have for a year. I occasionally do body weight training or intervals but I just don't really like them. The best exercise is the one you do.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can, but as is being pointed out, incorporating at least some strength training is going to be very beneficial in the long run. Keep it to using the exercises that give you the most bang for your buck, and include some unilateral training, that will help your running.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What Rybo and Azdak said ^.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Cross training will help you become a stronger runner.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    No, but don't expect it to help strengthen your upper body and keep the upper body muscle conditioned.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Running is awesome for burning the calories and resulting in a lean body. The running will drive your body to be as light as it can be as that's efficient. However I feel I run better being a bit more conditioned through weight lifting alongside my running. I also find I need to run less miles if I strength train alongside to meet my goals.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I ran for 40 years. I did push-ups and crunches but running was my thing. At 60 (with little warning) I developed pain from plantar fasciitis and bunions and decided to switch to biking and rowing. Who knows, you might get tired of running and go back to weights. I'd do what you enjoy and have time to do and if you develop problems then you might have to round things out.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Sorry for all the questions of late, just a lot of transition recently so I need to lean on folks with more experience. I used to lift fairly regularly in the not so distant past. When I began creeping into 25+ miles per week territory, this fell of substantially. The last 6 weeks since I began training for my first half, I honestly have quit going to the gym entirely to focus on running. I guess what I am asking is can I just keep doing what I am doing and not bother with the gym anymore? The results distance running have given me have been miraculous. I wear a 32 inch waist jeans for the first time since probably middle school, and people who have not seen me in awhile hardly recognize me. My endurance and speed seems to keep rising in a fairly linear fashion and physically I feel fantastic. Anything wrong with just running to stay in shape?

On MFP yes. In real life, no.
    On MFP runners are some mysterious "skinny fat" creatures with no muscle mass at all. In real life, runners are either just normal people who run, or people really serious about it who are usually in awesome shape, with great bodies.

Which race can we meet at? I'd love to run with you.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the constructive feedback everyone. After I get this half out of the way on the 24th, I will start to investigate some routines that are quick and that I can do on limited 2 day per week rotation. I am hopeful for something in the 30 min range so I can knock it out before work leaving me my evenings to run.

My main issue is that I enjoy running, especially outdoors on a nice day, whereas I simply tolerate (at best) resistance training. However, if it can take me to the next level by saving me from being hung up with injuries or help me get my lap times down, I would consider it required. I have had a couple of sprains that have sidelined me in the past thus far. I also had foot strike and blister issues when I first started running prior to actually paying a visit to a legit running store and discovering the magic that is Kayano.

I just want to continue to improve, and if getting on a strength training regimen will aid in this process, all the better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I am an avid cycling enthusiast and cycling is my primary exercise...but resistance training of some kind is important in regards to your overall fitness. It will also help with performance and is injury preventative and a good way to cross train.

I only lift full body 2x per week...I bump that up to 3x in the winter when I spend less time on my bike. Lifting isn't my favorite thing in the world, but it has given me better performance on my bike. I also do a lot of Oly lifting which I find to be more fun than more common lifts...
  • Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    @JustRobby1 can I be nosey? when you say "just running" what do you mean? I'm a run addict too, even in winter, head torch on and away I go. But I do mix it up, long slow, short fast, hill reps, intervals, most out doors, mostly on road, but some on trails, some treadmill (as little as poss, but handy when injured and you can just stop and you're not miles from home), all sorts, never tire of it. It is my sanity. And am a right miserable sod when I'm injured, hence me mentioning core and strength work in previous post. Its what kept me sane when running was off the cards. Good luck with the HM.