Dry lips despite lots of water??

Options
So I know this is somewhat of an odd question but want to see if anyone else has expirenced it too.

I average drinking a gallon of water per day, plus usually a cup (sometimes two) of tea as well too. I feel like this is plenty of liquid but my lips, and sometimes my skin, I feel have been very dry lately.

Any thoughts on this? I'd be interested to hear. Thanks!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're probably licking your lips or moisturizing them in a way, which makes them dry when exposed to cold air/wind etc.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    How is your fat intake? When I tried to go lower fat, my skin was really dry. Also, how many calories in general are you eating? Being malnourished will show up first with skin and nails.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Or you could be like me and have eczema and lips are always pretty dry. Chapstick is my friend.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ashleyconleche
    ashleyconleche Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My lips are always dry as well, and I drink loads of water. I am trying to find the right way to moisturize them, but nothing has really worked for me.
  • mrsbarnett1012
    mrsbarnett1012 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not malnourished. I'm eating 1480 calories a day. However, perhaps it is my fat intake. I around eat 30-40g of fat per day.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    You're probably licking them without even realizing it...my son does this. His lips are so bad in the winter that they crack/bleed.

What works AMAZINGLY well is lanosil. I put a thin layer on his lips overnight; will heal couple in a day or 2.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not malnourished. I'm eating 1480 calories a day. However, perhaps it is my fat intake. I around eat 30-40g of fat per day.

Oh, that would definitely do it for me! My fat goal (at 1700 cals) is 60g, and I am almost always over that. Why do you have your fat set so low? Are you really tiny?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of water...my skin and lips are always dry...I live in the desert, everything is dry. This is where lotion and lip balm come in handy...
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just to balance the fat question, I eat less than 15g fat a day for medical reasons and don't have dry lips, we're all different though. Vitamin E can help with dry skin and when mine do get dry due to wind/ cold in winter I find a thick coating of petroleum jelly before bed and a good quality lip balm helps hugely.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I just have dry skin. My lips have been dry for YEARS. I carry a little tub of vaseline around with me. I find some of the stick formulations make my lips feel weird.
  • mrsbarnett1012
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input and feedback! I think I'll get some lip balm and go from there! :smile:
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you are located, it could just be a seasonal thing. I'm in Illinois and the weather just started cooling down. My skin has been a little more dry too. I put chapstick on first thing in the morning, right after I workout and again at night. When my nose starts getting dry, I rub a little coconut oil on the sore spots and it helps a lot.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input and feedback! I think I'll get some lip balm and go from there! :smile:

Best on the market (IMHO): Carmex.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    So I know this is somewhat of an odd question but want to see if anyone else has expirenced it too.

I average drinking a gallon of water per day, plus usually a cup (sometimes two) of tea as well too. I feel like this is plenty of liquid but my lips, and sometimes my skin, I feel have been very dry lately.

Any thoughts on this? I'd be interested to hear. Thanks!

How are you breathing? Do you breathe through your nose most of the time or frequently through your mouth? Mouth breathing can cause dry lips. I developed that habit 2 years ago when I had a severe abdominal issue (needed to take short breaths through the mouth because filling my lungs caused pain in my diaphragm). I still have that annoying habit even though surgery took care of the cause. My lips have been drier than normal because of it.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Occasionally dryness and cracking in the lips could mean you're low on B vitamins
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I never leave the house without my stick of Burt's Bees lip balm. Weather, food, who knows what, causes dry lips.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Drinking a ton of water doesn't mean you cant be dehydrated. Dehydration is can be caused by an electrolyte imbalance. So if you restrict sodium a lot, and drink a ton of water, you can be flushing too meaning electrolytes.

So how does your sodium, potsssium and magnesium look like? Do you get cramping?
  • mrsbarnett1012
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Drinking a ton of water doesn't mean you cant be dehydrated. Dehydration is can be caused by an electrolyte imbalance. So if you restrict sodium a lot, and drink a ton of water, you can be flushing too meaning electrolytes.

So how does your sodium, potsssium and magnesium look like? Do you get cramping?

No I really don't make it a point to limit sodium. I've had no issues with cramping either. My lips have started improving the past few days-perhaps I was breathing more through my mouth as another poster mentioned. I realized I do this more with working out for sure.

Thank you everyone for your insights!