Dry lips despite lots of water??

2»

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    So I know this is somewhat of an odd question but want to see if anyone else has expirenced it too.

I average drinking a gallon of water per day, plus usually a cup (sometimes two) of tea as well too. I feel like this is plenty of liquid but my lips, and sometimes my skin, I feel have been very dry lately.

Any thoughts on this? I'd be interested to hear. Thanks!

Drinking water won't help your lips. Chapstick is the only thing that helps.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    How close are you to menopause?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Is that you in the mountains? I live at elevation and when I was even higher up I needed extra protection because of the very dry air. Chapstick.
  • boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    I have always had dry lips and the only thing that has worked for me is Vaseline. I carry it everywhere and have some on my night table.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    edited September 2017
    This is an interesting thread. I've always wondered this about myself, too. Not just dry lips and skin (yes I use chapstick and lotion) but always so thirsty! I drink tons, (maybe more than OP). But I do take a good multivitamin daily and have plenty of fat in my diet.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    So I know this is somewhat of an odd question but want to see if anyone else has expirenced it too.

I average drinking a gallon of water per day, plus usually a cup (sometimes two) of tea as well too. I feel like this is plenty of liquid but my lips, and sometimes my skin, I feel have been very dry lately.

Any thoughts on this? I'd be interested to hear. Thanks!

Drinking water won't help your lips. Chapstick is the only thing that helps.

Enh I'd have to disagree with this. Unless you know the cause of the dry lips you can't say something won't help for sure.

Before I started watching my sodium and drinking enough water (sometimes I would go days without drinking a formal glass of water) my lips were dry af. I never left the house without chapstick and I would have a panic attack if I couldn't find it before leaving in the morning. Now that my sodium is under control if my lips feel like they're getting a bit dry I drink a couple cups of water and I'm good to go.

Too much salt and too little water was the cause of my dry lips. So water did help. Depending on what kind of chapstick you buy it can only make it worse.
  • julesEMS2016
    julesEMS2016 Posts: 44 Member
    I read here recently that being low in Vitamin B will cause dry lips that crack in the corners. I've been fighting this off and on for the last year. When I'm good about taking my vitamins my lips heal up and stay moist like they should. Could be worth looking into.
  • mrsbarnett1012
    mrsbarnett1012 Posts: 63 Member
    How close are you to menopause?

I'm not quite 29 yet, so I've got a bit...
    I read here recently that being low in Vitamin B will cause dry lips that crack in the corners. I've been fighting this off and on for the last year. When I'm good about taking my vitamins my lips heal up and stay moist like they should. Could be worth looking into.

That's interesting, I'd never heard that B vitamins may help. I do take a daily multi religiously as well as a daily fish oil though, so hopefully that would cover me but I'll have to check the label I suppose.

• jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    I read here recently that being low in Vitamin B will cause dry lips that crack in the corners.
    Did you read it about a dozen posts up when I said it? :D;)

• angelapaige88
    angelapaige88 Posts: 2 Member
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I just have dry skin. My lips have been dry for YEARS. I carry a little tub of vaseline around with me. I find some of the stick formulations make my lips feel weird.

Vaseline sells a lip balm too! It is in a TINY vaseline tube. :)
  • mrsbarnett1012
    mrsbarnett1012 Posts: 63 Member
    jayemes wrote: »
    I read here recently that being low in Vitamin B will cause dry lips that crack in the corners.

Whoops, apparently I missed that one! :s
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member

:D:D
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member

I just want to address this as its not always vitamin B. I had a persistant crack in the corner of my lip for months, thought it was the lack of Vitamin B, went to the Dr, nope was a bacterial infection. within 3 days of using the prescribed ointment the crack was healing. I of course continued the full treatment. So its not always a vitamin thing, it can be something else.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member

Huh, I was using a Chapstick 10+ times a day for the longest time. Started a Vitamin B supplement recently for a completely different reason, and only reading this made me realise I don't even know where my Chapstick is...