1200 cal limit and needing buddy help to stick with it

Options
2»

Replies

• schulemm
    schulemm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm also on a 1200 calorie plan and also was at my heaviest. I'm 5 foot (on a good day) and I'm
    162lbs. Feel free to add me...I could definitely use the motivation.
  • nathinds
    nathinds Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    schulemm wrote: »
    I'm also on a 1200 calorie plan and also was at my heaviest. I'm 5 foot (on a good day) and I'm
    162lbs. Feel free to add me...I could definitely use the motivation.

You are pretty much in my exact boat :)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me as well. Although I currently only have a few pounds to lose, I know what it's like to be overweight. At 5'3", I once weighed at around 196 or so. I also have 1200 calories a day, which can be a challenge. Not much wiggle room or room for junk. But it can be done. My diary is open and you are welcome to peek at it for meal ideas. Not perfect by any means though!
  • Freya9637
    Freya9637 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been with MFP for several years, off and on. And now I'm heavier than ever. But, my calorie allotment is the same. I just have trouble maintaining the game plan. I would really like to have some one to who knows what it's like to be obese, I'm 225# and should be about 130# max, but if I could get back to the weight I was when I joined MFP, 180# it would please me.

I noticed a woman also looking for friends with a food goal of 1200 per day. Friends, let's motivate one another!

• Freya9637
    Options
    Hi.. .
  • Freya9637
    Options
    I have been on a 1200 calorie diet... I lost 20lbs in one month. Also using herbalife, however now my skin is like extra saggy an I don't know what to do. I'm 5ft 11" an my current weight is 227. My goal is 180. But it seems harder now than it was in the beginning. Also with this rapid weight lost on a 1200 calorie diet, my skin is sagging horribly an I'm feeling really discouraged.
  • Flyingfingers51
    Flyingfingers51 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am 1200 calories a day also. But that keeps me motivated to move about more to be able to enjoy a little more food-it's a trade-off. I wear a Fitbit that is linked to MFP, and it makes me very happy too earn those extra calories from walking 10 to 20K steps every day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Freya9637 wrote: »
    I have been on a 1200 calorie diet... I lost 20lbs in one month. Also using herbalife, however now my skin is like extra saggy an I don't know what to do. I'm 5ft 11" an my current weight is 227. My goal is 180. But it seems harder now than it was in the beginning. Also with this rapid weight lost on a 1200 calorie diet, my skin is sagging horribly an I'm feeling really discouraged.

You aren't eating enough. 1200 is for sedentary, petite ladies.....5'11 doesn't qualify.

20 pounds in a month for someone closer to goal (like you) is going to include a fair amount of lean muscle loss. When you eat too little your body has to make choices.....fuel the heart muscle or fuel skin, or fuel hair, or fuel whatever other "non-essentials" there may be. Your body is doing the best it can to minimize the damage.

Herbal Life meal replacement has been linked to liver damage.....be careful.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    enyagoboom wrote: »
    I tried 1200 for a week and a half. No thanks, never again. I'm 5'4" and currently at 211lbs and I come in around 1300-1400 a day calories and am still losing weight but without the misery that came with the 1200. I eat back some, but half or less of my exercise calories.

If you are hell bent on 1200, try it for a week. And then try 1300. See if there are differences in your energy and all that too.

This! I tried sticking to 1200 due to a month long plateau and a desire to get back on track, which for me was actually around 1000 calorie deficit - I usually end up burning around 2200 calories a day. After 3 days I had intense body aches like I had a full blown flu (I had the actual flu only a couple of months before so I remembered the pain well). I also had the worst headache of my entire life and absolutely no energy. So I upped my intake to around 1400-1500 and I almost immediately felt better. the headache lasted another week though. I know if you google it people will tell you its just your body getting used to lower calories, but I say BS, there is no way that doing something healthy will make you feel that sick.

Basically listen to your body. I need to keep to around 1400 to function properly. 1200 is way too low for me. I am similar to Enyagoboom, Im 5'3" and am losing weight successfully eating around the 1400 mark. Do not be afraid of food.
  • Avidkeo
    Options

20lb in one month is incredibly dangerous. Was this your first month of dieting? You likely lost mostly water weight. Are you exercising or just dieting? you need to include exercise to increase your muscle mass.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi...I'm Amanda. My Dr has suggested bariatric surgery and I'm not sure yet if that is right for me. So she told me to try 1000-1200 calories a day. Im just beginning my journey so if you're interested in support/motivation...hit me up!

Good luck!

If your doc told you 1000 calories a day you might want to get a second opinion, from a registered dietician 1200 is supposed to be the lowest for safe weightloss and that's for a tiny person or an extremely sedentary person. Please look into this, my philosophy on docs is not everybody graduates at the head of the class and most people would say that her advice with the 1000 calories is terrible and very unrealistic. Most docs are not trained to know much about nutrition.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

20lb in one month is incredibly dangerous. Was this your first month of dieting? You likely lost mostly water weight. Are you exercising or just dieting? you need to include exercise to increase your muscle mass.

Strength training, adequate protein and a moderate calorie deficit helps you KEEP a larger % of lean muscle you already have. Calories this low (Freya9637 is 5'11") is going to lose lean muscle, exercise or no exercise.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »

Strength training, adequate protein and a moderate calorie deficit helps you KEEP a larger % of lean muscle you already have. Calories this low (Freya9637 is 5'11") is going to lose lean muscle, exercise or no exercise.

Sorry, I think my short reply probably missed the mark. My point was pretty much the same as yours, that she NEEDS muscle mass, hence the need need to exercise.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 1220 at a loss rate of .5/week - 5'2.5" and work an office job. I think eating at that rate is really hard unless you are ok with consistency in what you eat (I eat the same thing all the time). Find what works and stick with it. Only change things up if you get so bored that you find yourself straying. Also, I'm pretty loose on the weekends, but I haven't felt that it has been a serious impediment to my weight loss. You can add me if you would like, I enjoy cheering others on but keep my profile closed.
  • Journeyfrom381
    Journeyfrom381 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi guys add me!! I'm super supportive