What is your take on Saturated Fats and Cholesterol from red meats, dairy etc...

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    i don't know how people can substitute vegetable oil for olive oil in a recipe. They taste completely different and behave completely differently when cooking.

Ditto.

You can sub canola oil for vegetable oil though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    i don't know how people can substitute vegetable oil for olive oil in a recipe. They taste completely different and behave completely differently when cooking.

It depends on the recipe. Olive does have a wonderfully full and rich taste that is not appropriate in everything, but sometimes it really makes no difference or even makes it better.

I never use what is labelled as 'vegetable oil' in the US, which is soybean oil. Like @Francl27 above I usually use canola when I want a tasteless oil. But for most cooking I use olive oil.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Like I said, it would depend on the flavor profile what oil (or butter) fits. (I really haven't run into many recipes that call for vegetable oil specifically -- it's neutral, so I might just use a spray or spritz if I wanted neutral and then who cares). I find following recipes really closely kind of weird unless one is baking, though, so this could be me. And quite often, as Need2 says, an olive oil might taste as good or better (or avocado instead, which is another oil I usually have on hand).

I am not going to buy some oil I don't have and rarely use rather than subbing one of the other oils or sources of fat that would work, however. It doesn't matter.
    Francl27 wrote: »

Ditto.

Is canola not vegetable oil now? So confusing.

I actually understood what ketomom was getting at, and would agree that sometimes "vegetable oil" is used (kind of weirdly) to mean "industrial seed or grain oil," but in a recipe it just means "neutral tasting source of fat."
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If a recipe called for vegetable oil I'd use olive oil, probably. It's my default oil. I might use avocado oil or coconut oil or even butter depending on what the flavor profile was and the cooking method -- I wouldn't think the kind of oil a recipe specified would matter that much, and those are the only oils I usually have on hand. (But then I don't follow recipes that often anyway, I get inspired by them.)

Vegetable oil is vegetable oil

Why is that tagged onto my comment (and isn't what people understand by "vegetable oil" under discussion)?

I would wager that discussion would only happen on MFP. LOL

Heh.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Like I said, it would depend on the flavor profile what oil (or butter) fits. (I really haven't run into many recipes that call for vegetable oil specifically -- it's neutral, so I might just use a spray or spritz if I wanted neutral and then who cares). I find following recipes really closely kind of weird unless one is baking, though, so this could be me. And quite often, as Need2 says, an olive oil might taste as good or better (or avocado instead, which is another oil I usually have on hand).

I am not going to buy some oil I don't have and rarely use rather than subbing one of the other oils or sources of fat that would work, however. It doesn't matter.

Ditto.

I actually understood what ketomom was getting at, and would agree that sometimes "vegetable oil" is used (kind of weirdly) to mean "industrial seed or grain oil," but in a recipe it just means "neutral tasting source of fat."

My understanding is that "vegetable oil" is any oil derived from plants. In fact, ketomom sort of contradicted herself in that she separated soybean, corn, and safflower oils in one category and then in the next paragraph referred to "plant oils" while citing coconut oil and we know that's okay with her and the sources she gets her information from.

As a cook, I know when a recipe calls for vegetable oil, it just wants something neutral tasting, as you mentioned.

I have grapeseed oil on hand for anything that needs a more neutral flavor like muffins.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Ditto.

I could be wrong as that's not my post, but I suspect she was thinking of vegetable oil as it is commonly labelled in the US, which is soybean oil. IDK when or why that started. It's been that way as long as I can remember but if you go to most grocery stores and pick up a bottle labelled 'vegetable oil' and look at the label, it will be soybean. Other oils like canola, corn, olive, etc. are labelled by the plant they came from.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2017
    Options

Ditto.

I could be wrong as that's not my post, but I suspect she was thinking of vegetable oil as it is commonly labelled in the US, which is soybean oil. IDK when or why that started. It's been that way as long as I can remember but if you go to most grocery stores and pick up a bottle labelled 'vegetable oil' and look at the label, it will be soybean. Other oils like canola, corn, olive, etc. are labelled by the plant they came from.

But what she said is:
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Aren't avocado, olive, and nut oils vegetable oils? Color me confused.

No, those are not generally considered to be vegetable oils... Not sure why they aren't lumped in there too. They tend to be thought of separately for some reason. Like if a recipe called for a vegetable oil, very few people would go to olive oil. KWIM? Seems like vegetable oils are from plants that you would not normally associate with oil: soy, rapeseed, safflower, corn, etc.

I actually was just reading something a couple of days ago (some nutrition thing) that similarly used "vegetable oil" to refer more broadly to plant oils that required more processing than coconut, olive, avocado. Beats me why.

I'd actually forgotten that "vegetable oil" was soybean, since I never buy it (or any of the neutral oils). I kind of assumed it was (or could be) canola, since I think of that as the most common neutral oil.

Here's an example of this from a cooking site:

http://www.thekitchn.com/these-are-the-4-types-of-cooking-oils-you-should-have-in-your-kitchen-223575
    Recipes can call for vegetable oil, which can be a very confusing term, as technically, even olive oil can be considered a vegetable oil since it comes from a plant. What it really refers to, however, are oils that have a higher smoke point and fairly neutral flavor, making them popular for high-heat cooking and for dishes where you don't really want to distinctly taste the oil. Their clean flavors also make them popular choices for deep-frying and baking.

Most vegetable oils are inexpensive and great for everyday cooking, although there are a few, like grapeseed, that come with a higher price tag.

This is actually one semantic argument that (for once) I don't care about. ;-)