My TDEE calculation seems too high... TDEE help!

Options
Hello friends, I wanted some input on a thought I had regarding my TDEE.

I started my weight loss journey at 5'4" 183 lbs 34/F.

I meticulously track, weigh all of my food with a scale (even packaged foods!) This is not my first rodeo.

That being said, I'm seeing odd TDEE numbers. I am largely sedentary as I'm not working right now. I do lift weights twice a week for 50 min session with a trainer. That's literally all of the exercise I get and it's really just so I don't lose too much muscle while dieting.

I average 1200-1300 calories a day. I'm on a largely keto diet - each day is below 45 g of carbs a day, some days significantly less.

I've lost ~13 lbs in 24 days and I am 37% total body fat, which I know the scales can be WAY off so that's not an exact number.

As I've been tracking and weighing myself frequently to get a good graph going, my weekly TDEE averages are between 3100 on the high end, and 2770 on the low end.

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?! Every TDEE calculator I use indicates that my TDEE is at the MOST 2000-2100 calories a day. How could it be 500 calories off?!

My first week was the biggest loss - 4 lbs, and I've been losing 3 lbs a week steadily for the last three weeks. I'm extremely well hydrated, I drink a gallon of water a day.

Maybe because I'm muscular I have a higher TDEE? Or is it a fluke? I just don't know... any insight would be awesome! Thank you!

Replies

• smelliefeet
    smelliefeet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So you are basing your TDEE calc off of the calories you are eating and the weight you have lost so far, correct?

Is the Keto a new way of eating you started 24 days ago as well?

It is normal to lose some water weight when you first start loosing weight, and it is also typical to lose a fair amount of water weight when you start eating low carb. So I would wait to start trying to figure out your TDEE until you are a month out, so week 5 and on, honestly.

3-4 lbs per week is pretty fast considering your size, so if you continue at that pace for much longer I would eat a little more to bring your rate down to more like 1.5 - 2 lbs per week, but that's just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Excellent, thank you! I was gluten free for weeks before starting keto, and so I wasn't sure if I was still losing water weight or not. I'll start tracking next week and on to get my "real" TDEE. If it is actually around 2100, I could probably up my cals to 1500 a day. I'm so sedentary though that I'm not very hungry on 1300, so I may just stay here regardless.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, if I might assist....based on the information that you posted (see below to make sure that I did not mess something up) your TDEE looks like this:

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,515 calories per day
    Sedentary 1,818 calories per day
    Light Exercise 2,083 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 2,348 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 2,614 calories per day
    Athlete 2,879 calories per day

So, your details are:

Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 183lbs

So, you start off with your BMR - which is the Basal Metabolic Rate - and you use a Physical Activity Level multiplier and that gives you the TDEE. Now, please keep in mind that this is a formula and that there is the human factor for each of us so take these numbers as a starting point. So, STARTING POINT! You will have to adjust - up or down - based on 'start with the number for a few weeks and see how your body adjusts and then play with that number for a few more weeks' and eventually you will find your "exact" numbers.

So, your BMR of 1,515 means that you need to consume 1,515 calories a day just to survive. Your body does a lot of things (like breathing) even when you are sound asleep. So, that is what that number is. Roughly.

Then, since we move around and do things you have to include some multiplier to account for that "stuff that you do". That is the Physical Activity Level multiplier. So, what is each of those "categories"? Good question. Here is the breakdown:

*Sedentary (little or no exercise) – your TDEE = BMR x 1.2
    *Lightly active (light exercise/work 1-3 days per week) – your TDEE = BMR x 1.375
    *Moderately active (moderate exercise/work 3-5 days per week) – your TDEE = BMR x 1.55
    *Very active (hard exercise/work 6-7 days a week) – your TDEE = BMR x 1.725
    *Ultra active (very hard exercise/work 6-7 days a week) – your TDEE = BMR x 1.9

So, I would suggest - based on what you have stated - that you are either sedentary of lightly active. So, your starting point is either 1,818 or 2,083.

Now, if you are trying to loose weight then you need to eat in a caloric deficit. So, calories in are more than calories out. Food is pretty much calories in and bmr and activity are pretty much calories out.

Generally speaking, if you eat at a 500 caloric deficit each day (so, 3,500 caloric deficit for the week) you will loose 1 lb that week.

So, if that were your goal you would need to have a 1318 or 1583 caloric intake value each day.

Based on what you have said you have lost roughly 4lbs each of the last three+ weeks? That is VERY aggressive.

Does all this make sense? Lots of math......
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    The above was when you started.......since you have lost 13 lbs. your weight would now be 170lbs. That changes the numbers. Your numbers now look like this:

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,456 calories per day
    Sedentary 1,747 calories per day
    Light Exercise 2,002 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 2,257 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 2,512 calories per day
    Athlete 2,767 calories per day

Does that make sense?
  • smelliefeet
    Options
    So, if I might assist....based on the information that you posted (see below to make sure that I did not mess something up) your TDEE looks like this:

So, your details are:

So, you start off with your BMR - which is the Basal Metabolic Rate - and you use a Physical Activity Level multiplier and that gives you the TDEE. Now, please keep in mind that this is a formula and that there is the human factor for each of us so take these numbers as a starting point. So, STARTING POINT! You will have to adjust - up or down - based on 'start with the number for a few weeks and see how your body adjusts and then play with that number for a few more weeks' and eventually you will find your "exact" numbers.

So, your BMR of 1,515 means that you need to consume 1,515 calories a day just to survive. Your body does a lot of things (like breathing) even when you are sound asleep. So, that is what that number is. Roughly.

Then, since we move around and do things you have to include some multiplier to account for that "stuff that you do". That is the Physical Activity Level multiplier. So, what is each of those "categories"? Good question. Here is the breakdown:

*Lightly active (light exercise/work 1-3 days per week) – your TDEE = BMR x 1.375
    *Moderately active (moderate exercise/work 3-5 days per week) – your TDEE = BMR x 1.55

So, I would suggest - based on what you have stated - that you are either sedentary of lightly active. So, your starting point is either 1,818 or 2,083.

Now, if you are trying to loose weight then you need to eat in a caloric deficit. So, calories in are more than calories out. Food is pretty much calories in and bmr and activity are pretty much calories out.

Generally speaking, if you eat at a 500 caloric deficit each day (so, 3,500 caloric deficit for the week) you will loose 1 lb that week.

So, if that were your goal you would need to have a 1318 or 1583 caloric intake value each day.

Based on what you have said you have lost roughly 4lbs each of the last three+ weeks? That is VERY aggressive.

Yeah, I understand what TDEE is, my question is if by your calculations eating 1318 a day would give me a 1-2 lb a week loss, then why am I losing 3-4 lbs a week? That would mean the calculated TDEE is low. My TDEE is actually higher than calculated, even though I am in fact sedentary. That's what is odd to me. The other poster suggested that I'm simply losing water weight, and that I shouldn't calculate my TDEE until 5 weeks out, after I've lost the brunt of my water weight?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Correct.....she makes a great point. You are doing the ketogenic diet - as you stated. So, your body is transitioning from glycogen to ketones. And, as you know the body stores glycogen in your liver and in your muscles. And, as we all know, the muscles store a lot of water (due to the glycogen). Right? So, you have depleted a good bit of the glycogen from your body. Well, likely still are.

So, yeah - I totally missed that point. Well, I did not miss it....it simply did not register (no excuses). So, absolutely wait a little bit longer until you re-evaluate.

As a sidebar - did you prep for the Ketogenic Diet by slowly reducing your carb intake over time or did you just stop the old and start the new? And, how are you responding - generally speaking - to this? I am interested in the Ketogenic Diet (generally speaking) but do not want to hijack this question with my interests.....
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So you are basing your TDEE calc off of the calories you are eating and the weight you have lost so far, correct?

Is the Keto a new way of eating you started 24 days ago as well?

It is normal to lose some water weight when you first start loosing weight, and it is also typical to lose a fair amount of water weight when you start eating low carb. So I would wait to start trying to figure out your TDEE until you are a month out, so week 5 and on, honestly.

3-4 lbs per week is pretty fast considering your size, so if you continue at that pace for much longer I would eat a little more to bring your rate down to more like 1.5 - 2 lbs per week, but that's just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Excellent, thank you! I was gluten free for weeks before starting keto, and so I wasn't sure if I was still losing water weight or not. I'll start tracking next week and on to get my "real" TDEE. If it is actually around 2100, I could probably up my cals to 1500 a day. I'm so sedentary though that I'm not very hungry on 1300, so I may just stay here regardless.

What you have to watch out for is muscle loss. Your body can only convert so much fat to energy per day. The faster you lose weight, the more likely your body will have to use muscle for energy as well. That's why so many people are unhappy with how they look once they reach goal, they don't like their shape even though the extra fat is gone. Considering you are sedentary, so you aren't strengthening your muscles with exercise, you might want to avoid losing too quickly even more. The guideline I see often here is to lose no more than 1% of your body weight per week, though full disclosure I don't know where that number comes from. Just something to think about, ultimately your goals and priorities will be the deciding factors.

I've heard that some people take some time to get accustomed to the higher fat diet on Keto and do tend to have no appetite in the beginning, so that may also be why you're experiencing that!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I would ignore the data from that first week at least - I'm guessing there's a decent bit of water weight in there - at just look at the more recent "stable" data. I has a big initial drop as well, but my loss stabilized and is now very predictable. Tangentially, my TDEE is also higher than I expected or the calculators project - about 2500 for a 5'2" 34 y/o woman with a sedentary job and only moderate exercise. I've been losing for months now, though, and the trend doesn't lie.
  • smelliefeet
    Options
    I would ignore the data from that first week at least - I'm guessing there's a decent bit of water weight in there - at just look at the more recent "stable" data. I has a big initial drop as well, but my loss stabilized and is now very predictable. Tangentially, my TDEE is also higher than I expected or the calculators project - about 2500 for a 5'2" 34 y/o woman with a sedentary job and only moderate exercise. I've been losing for months now, though, and the trend doesn't lie.

Thank you for your input!! That's good to hear actually, that you're 5'2" and have TDEE of 2500. Then my latest TDEE calculation of 2770 might not actually be that far off because I'm 5'4"!
  • smelliefeet
    Options
    Correct.....she makes a great point. You are doing the ketogenic diet - as you stated. So, your body is transitioning from glycogen to ketones. And, as you know the body stores glycogen in your liver and in your muscles. And, as we all know, the muscles store a lot of water (due to the glycogen). Right? So, you have depleted a good bit of the glycogen from your body. Well, likely still are.

So, yeah - I totally missed that point. Well, I did not miss it....it simply did not register (no excuses). So, absolutely wait a little bit longer until you re-evaluate.

As a sidebar - did you prep for the Ketogenic Diet by slowly reducing your carb intake over time or did you just stop the old and start the new? And, how are you responding - generally speaking - to this? I am interested in the Ketogenic Diet (generally speaking) but do not want to hijack this question with my interests.....

I did do gluten-free for a few weeks before reducing all carbohydrates. It was definitely easier to get into the keto diet. In addition, I did NOT go very low carb at first - I stayed around 45g - 50g of carbs. Only in the past two weeks have I touched a few 25 g carb days. I find that if I can eat 50g of carbs and still be in ketosis, then why not?! No need to go all nuts with it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options

So, your details are:

Yeah, I understand what TDEE is, my question is if by your calculations eating 1318 a day would give me a 1-2 lb a week loss, then why am I losing 3-4 lbs a week? That would mean the calculated TDEE is low. My TDEE is actually higher than calculated, even though I am in fact sedentary. That's what is odd to me. The other poster suggested that I'm simply losing water weight, and that I shouldn't calculate my TDEE until 5 weeks out, after I've lost the brunt of my water weight?

I agree with those saying the likeliest reason is extra water weight loss because of starting keto, and that later weeks will give you more reliable personal data, once you accumulate a few weeks of it.

That said:
    • You are doing absolutely the right thing by calculating your TDEE from your actual experiential data. This will give you a more valid answer than any "calculator" (should be called "estimator" ;) ) or formula. (https://examine.com/nutrition/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/)
    • Calculators suggest my sedentary NEAT (61, 5'5", 120s) for maintenance should be around 1600ish. It's over 2000. (No, not because of exercise; that would make it TDEE, not NEAT. I do exercise, but I eat those calories. Outside of exercise, I'm sedentary (retired, sedentary hobbies).) I'm in my second year of maintenance: I'm not guessing. <Shrug.> It happens.
  • smelliefeet
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I agree with those saying the likeliest reason is extra water weight loss because of starting keto, and that later weeks will give you more reliable personal data, once you accumulate a few weeks of it.

That said:
    • You are doing absolutely the right thing by calculating your TDEE from your actual experiential data. This will give you a more valid answer than any "calculator" (should be called "estimator" ;) ) or formula. (https://examine.com/nutrition/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/)
    • Calculators suggest my sedentary NEAT (61, 5'5", 120s) for maintenance should be around 1600ish. It's over 2000. (No, not because of exercise; that would make it TDEE, not NEAT. I do exercise, but I eat those calories. Outside of exercise, I'm sedentary (retired, sedentary hobbies).) I'm in my second year of maintenance: I'm not guessing. <Shrug.> It happens.

I'm wondering if you're more muscular than the average 61 y/o woman? I have heard that muscle *can* make ones metabolism faster than someone of the same age/height/weight without much muscle. I am quite muscular, naturally built and I lift weights twice a week, so I'm wondering if that really does make a difference.

Either way I'm just elated to be losing weight finally!!
  • AnnPT77
    Options

That said:

I'm wondering if you're more muscular than the average 61 y/o woman? I have heard that muscle *can* make ones metabolism faster than someone of the same age/height/weight without much muscle. I am quite muscular, naturally built and I lift weights twice a week, so I'm wondering if that really does make a difference.

Either way I'm just elated to be losing weight finally!!

I don't have data, but I'd speculate that I may in fact be more muscular than the typical woman of my age & size. But, in my understanding, the "calorie torching" ( ;) ) value of extra muscle has been over hyped. I believe it's only a few calories extra per pound per day, and it's not as if others have zero muscle, so it's not enough to explain several hundred calories worth of daily NEAT difference.

"Why" is something I've wondered about a lot, and researched a little. I could speculate, but none of the explanations yield a big enough number to explain it fully. It's possible that there are many small things that add up. I don't know. If I did, I'd write a book and make millions. ;)

Others here occasionally have insisted that I must be more physically active than I realize (!?). I'd be stunned if my typical day includes much more than 1000 steps, outside of separately-accounted exercise. (Maybe they think I sleepwalk? ;) ) I've also had people suggest I underestimate food calories (which would make me essentially the only person in the whole universe who does that). Nope - food scale and the whole nine yards. I even asked trusted honest RL friends if I'm fidgety. Nope.

No idea.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Thank you for your input!! That's good to hear actually, that you're 5'2" and have TDEE of 2500. Then my latest TDEE calculation of 2770 might not actually be that far off because I'm 5'4"!

Yeah, it's certainly possible. I've only really been digging into the numbers for the last couple of months, but I figure that there are always people on either end of any bell curve, and even if most people who think they are outliers aren't, it's silly to ignore the data when it's staring you in the face. I'd be fascinated to figure out if it's my BMR that's high or my NEAT - I'm pretty sure I underestimate calories burned, but not THAT much - but I'm not going to look that gift horse in the mouth either way. I'm seeing my primary care doc in a couple of weeks and am curious if she has a thought there. I'm really still figuring this out, but I've learned to trust results.

That said:

Thank you, I misspoke in my post - my maintenance without intentional exercise is about 2500 - I count intentional exercise on top of that. That was what threw me off for a long time - the MFP recommendations for sedentary maintenance didn't line up at all with results. Of course, I've never meandered anywhere if I could power-walk, so there's something.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    1g of carbs holds about 3-4g of water. That, plus reductions in sodium or other dietary modifications could be causing you to shed water weight in addition to fat that is leading to initially stronger-than-expected results. Stay the course. Usually people start out strong then get jaded when progress begins to slow down. You're ahead of the curve by anticipating the slow down! I definitely appreciate you checking your results against your method, I've been doing the same. Based on my calculated calorie deficit, I am averaging -1.74 lbs/week pace. I just did a linear regression on my daily weighings and the slope of that line is -1.76 lbs/week, so it means I'm spot on so far.
  • smelliefeet
    Options
    1g of carbs holds about 3-4g of water. That, plus reductions in sodium or other dietary modifications could be causing you to shed water weight in addition to fat that is leading to initially stronger-than-expected results. Stay the course. Usually people start out strong then get jaded when progress begins to slow down. You're ahead of the curve by anticipating the slow down! I definitely appreciate you checking your results against your method, I've been doing the same. Based on my calculated calorie deficit, I am averaging -1.74 lbs/week pace. I just did a linear regression on my daily weighings and the slope of that line is -1.76 lbs/week, so it means I'm spot on so far.

-1.74, that's perfect weight loss in my book! Even a 1 lb loss a week would make me happy, as long as it was steady. All I ask is for steady predictability, because once major fluctuations and long plateaus happen, I go downhill fast
  • AnnPT77
    Options

-1.74, that's perfect weight loss in my book! Even a 1 lb loss a week would make me happy, as long as it was steady. All I ask is for steady predictability, because once major fluctuations and long plateaus happen, I go downhill fast

Are you using a trending app, like Happy Scale, Libra, Trendweight, etc? If not, might using one help with overcoming frustrations from uneven loss rate?
  • smelliefeet
    Options

Are you using a trending app, like Happy Scale, Libra, Trendweight, etc? If not, might using one help with overcoming frustrations from uneven loss rate?

I'm a software developer and I've actually programmed my own graphing app (it's not public) cuz I'm a data/numbers nerd!
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I'm a software developer and I've actually programmed my own graphing app (it's not public) cuz I'm a data/numbers nerd!

With the stats calcs behind it to project a trend, via weighted average or some such, I hope? ;)

I'm a retired IT gal, so I can appreciate your nerd-ventiveness! ;)