Can't loose weight even with diet and exercise!

Options

Replies

• anahdz2013
    anahdz2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello yes I have been logging in my meals I get frustrated sometimes and stop. I am only able to exercise three times a week because I work 12 hour shift's three other days of the week. I am at 5'3 and 170 pounds right now and My goal is to be 135 to 140 pounds. And example of what I eat in a day is two boiled eggs in the morning with a cup of coffee with Stevia. Then at lunchtime I eat a salad with boiled chicken breast. For dinner I eattwo more boiled eggs and a half a cup of oatmeal. For snacks in between meals are usually eat either apples a little container of organic hummus with snap peas or a banana. My exercise consist of using a maxi climber in which i burn 750 cal in 50 minutes then I do 10 minutes of ab work. What am I doing wrong?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    anahdz2013 wrote: »
    Hello yes I have been logging in my meals I get frustrated sometimes and stop. I am only able to exercise three times a week because I work 12 hour shift's three other days of the week. I am at 5'3 and 170 pounds right now and My goal is to be 135 to 140 pounds. And example of what I eat in a day is two boiled eggs in the morning with a cup of coffee with Stevia. Then at lunchtime I eat a salad with boiled chicken breast. For dinner I eattwo more boiled eggs and a half a cup of oatmeal. For snacks in between meals are usually eat either apples a little container of organic hummus with snap peas or a banana. My exercise consist of using a maxi climber in which i burn 750 cal in 50 minutes then I do 10 minutes of ab work. What am I doing wrong?

Can you open your diary??

Exercise calorie burn is most likely not accurate.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    You don't even HAVE to exercise to lose weight as long as you are counting all of the calories you eat and actually maintain a deficit.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @aeloine - agreed. In the "Calories In/Calories Out" concept the food that one eats is the "calories in" and the body "doing its thing" and one's day-to-day activities are the "calories out". So, just make sure that the "calories out" are higher than the "calories in" and fat loss happens. Obviously, the larger the gap the more fat loss. There is an appropriate "gap size", depending on several things.

Cardio and training simply add to the "calories out" side of the equation.

The key is to (A) log everything correctly and (B) compare what should happen vs how your body is responding. If there is a 'disconnect' there then review the logging. There *might* be something that is less than accurate there. Maybe. But not necessarily.

Start there. As a general point....
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hashimoto's Thyroid issue here too and post menopausal - yep it's harder to lose but I just expect it to be slow (.5 pound a week is good for me). I just try not to think of myself as on a "diet" - I've completely changed my way of eating for weight loss and health. I'm eating 1400 cal. a day- macros are 30 carbs/35 protein /35 fat
    I don't lose when I up my carbs more. I'm 5'3 CW 188 (goal is 150).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Are you using a food scale? If not, start using it for all solid food, every single thing to see where your log may be going wrong. Are you getting frustrating and stopping without giving it enough time to work? And are you eating such a limited diet because you think you have to, or are those the foods you like?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Hello yes I have been logging in my meals I get frustrated sometimes and stop. I am only able to exercise three times a week because I work 12 hour shift's three other days of the week. I am at 5'3 and 170 pounds right now and My goal is to be 135 to 140 pounds. And example of what I eat in a day is two boiled eggs in the morning with a cup of coffee with Stevia. Then at lunchtime I eat a salad with boiled chicken breast. For dinner I eat two more boiled eggs and a half a cup of oatmeal. For snacks in between meals are usually eat either apples a little container of organic hummus with snap peas or a banana. My exercise consist of using a maxi climber in which i burn 750 cal in 50 minutes then I do 10 minutes of ab work. What am I doing wrong?

I get not wanting to see your calorie goal in the red, I really do. But it is better to log and have data than not log, keep eating and have no idea what you ate. Consistent logging can help you eat less.

What did you set your weekly weight loss goal to? With only 30-35 pounds to lose, a goal of more than a pound a week can be too aggressive, which often leads to overeating, and thus wiping out the deficit you struggled to create on other days. Better to lose more slowly than you would like, than not lose at all.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Desdemonad wrote: »
    Be sure to get your thyroid gland tested. If it is underactive you will never lose weight. Also some medications cause weight gain or difficulties in losing, so check that our too.

Lots of posters here with thyroid issues who have been successful losing weight.

But yes, if one has a thyroid condition it is indeed best to be diagnosed and treated.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

How are you measuring the foods you are eating? A digital food scale is going to be more accurate. Double check the entries selected, most are user entered.....some are incorrect.

This flow chart is very helpful: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10179969/weight-loss-flow-chart-2-0/p1
  • counting_kilojoules
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

That sounds good but it's incomplete. What's in your salad? Is there a dressing? How big is your chicken breast? Is the oatmeal just porridge oats and water or is it another kind of oats and do you add milk? How many kilojoules in your hummus? How many apples? If we don't know these things then it's hard to tell what's going on. If you don't know these things then you may be overestimating your kilojoules significantly.
  • anahdz2013
    anahdz2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use cesaer dressing two table spoons , 4-6 oz of chicken breast and the hummus is 160cal. I eat small gala apples.