Can't loose weight even with diet and exercise!

Options
13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,774 Member
    Options
    anahdz2013 wrote: »
    Hello yes I have been logging in my meals I get frustrated sometimes and stop. I am only able to exercise three times a week because I work 12 hour shift's three other days of the week. I am at 5'3 and 170 pounds right now and My goal is to be 135 to 140 pounds. And example of what I eat in a day is two boiled eggs in the morning with a cup of coffee with Stevia. Then at lunchtime I eat a salad with boiled chicken breast. For dinner I eattwo more boiled eggs and a half a cup of oatmeal. For snacks in between meals are usually eat either apples a little container of organic hummus with snap peas or a banana. My exercise consist of using a maxi climber in which i burn 750 cal in 50 minutes then I do 10 minutes of ab work. What am I doing wrong?

Sadly, I'm very skeptical about that calorie burn. Are you getting that from the maxi climber readout?

My spin class bike gave me a reading the other day of 617 calories (45 minute class, very intense). My heart rate monitor said 258 calories, and MFP's exercise database said around 300.

Both of the latter know my body weight (120s at 5'5"), and my HRM knows my actual resting & tested max rates. I'm pretty sure the HRM and MFP are in the ballpark, and the machine is wildly, crazily off in some distant county.

When I was around your current weight, my HRM gave me more like 350-400 calories for the spin class. Spin is not the only thing I do (I row boats and machines, ride a bike, lift, swim . . . I literally can't think of any exercise I could've done that would've gotten me anything like 750 calories for 50 minutes at 170 pounds. On a guess, half that might be realistic. Even steady energetic shoveling of heavy, wet snow only got me around 400 or so calories per hour.

Exercise like that is still worth doing, though! It preserves muscle, burns calories, and makes you stronger/fitter.

Others have given you good advice about logging consistently and accurately for a while, to see where you are. Even if you go over goal some days, log it anyway, even if you have to do some estimating. The data is useful to know what's really going on, without assumptions or wishful thinking.

Wishing you improved results!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Desdemonad wrote: »
    Be sure to get your thyroid gland tested. If it is underactive you will never lose weight. Also some medications cause weight gain or difficulties in losing, so check that our too.

Thyroid impacts Resting Energy Expenditure by ~5%.

I lost 60 lbs in a year when I first joined MFP and had a total thyroidectomy.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Thyroid impacts Resting Energy Expenditure by ~5%.

I lost 60 lbs in a year when I first joined MFP and had a total thyroidectomy.
    Thank you for your insight on this. I always suspected it.
    Too many people here blame their thyroid for being overweight, when it's actually something more obvious.

There have been a number of peer reviewed studies conducted on this now. Note this is the most extreme case going from a treated patient to untreated (commonly done prior to full body scan to detect cancer recurrence).

I manage a metabolics lab and did a series of tests in November 2016 where I went off Synthroid for 60 days and found the largest drop in REE at day 38 was 5.6% from my baseline at day 0.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    OP has left the building!

It's been less than two hours on a work day. Many forums are not nearly as active as MFP, and OPs don't realize they will get answers so quickly.

I did rush to say that, but OP hadn't responded in about 14 hours and it was OP's only post. I'm very happy that OP came back and it's resulted in this insightful discussion. Hopefully OP will get the answers she was looking for.