Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Naturally thin

Options

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    There was a very interesting thread on reddit about this once. I saw a story there that stuck with me, but of course I can't find it now. Here's a paraphrase.

The poster was a woman who was heavier than her boyfriend, who was a "naturally thin" person. One day she discovered a package of candy bars in his cupboard. After several subsequent visits over many weeks, she noticed that the candy bars were untouched. Perhaps one had been removed from the packaging.

Unable to understand what was going on, she finally asked him about it. "Don't you like those candy bars?", she asked. They've been sitting there for weeks. "They're my absolute favorite," said the boyfriend.

The poster had an epiphany. The boyfriend didn't feel compelled to eat all of the candy bars, as she would have been. He liked the candy, and ate it on occasion, but didn't desire to eat all of them up right away. The poster felt that, if she had a package of her favorite candy bars in her house, that they would be gone in a very short time. She realized that he was "naturally thin" in part not because he never ate candy, but because he didn't feel compelled to eat it all the time.

Yup. That's my wife. No chocolate is safe with her, and oaths that she'll eat it a little at a time mean nothing. A pint of ice cream? Gone in a half hour, with no awareness at all that it consisted of 4 servings. The idea that is should be possible to treat oneself in moderation is understood by her on an intellectual level, but it doesn't penetrate to actual behavior.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    There was a very interesting thread on reddit about this once. I saw a story there that stuck with me, but of course I can't find it now. Here's a paraphrase.

The poster was a woman who was heavier than her boyfriend, who was a "naturally thin" person. One day she discovered a package of candy bars in his cupboard. After several subsequent visits over many weeks, she noticed that the candy bars were untouched. Perhaps one had been removed from the packaging.

Unable to understand what was going on, she finally asked him about it. "Don't you like those candy bars?", she asked. They've been sitting there for weeks. "They're my absolute favorite," said the boyfriend.

The poster had an epiphany. The boyfriend didn't feel compelled to eat all of the candy bars, as she would have been. He liked the candy, and ate it on occasion, but didn't desire to eat all of them up right away. The poster felt that, if she had a package of her favorite candy bars in her house, that they would be gone in a very short time. She realized that he was "naturally thin" in part not because he never ate candy, but because he didn't feel compelled to eat it all the time.

Yup. That's my wife. No chocolate is safe with her, and oaths that she'll eat it a little at a time mean nothing. A pint of ice cream? Gone in a half hour, with no awareness at all that it consisted of 4 servings. The idea that is should be possible to treat oneself in moderation is understood by her on an intellectual level, but it doesn't penetrate to actual behavior.

Yeah. I can keep ice cream around for months. I lived with my grandmother for a month and I'd buy ice cream to eat when I got home. (Label it with my name and everything) and she'd eat it.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Hah, that is my husband. A treat I like once in a while is a certain brand of chocolate chip cookie. I can buy a package and eat one. Then I put it in the cupboard and go back the next day. All the cookies are gone. Husband can't stop eating cookies until the cookies are gone. Obviously, we don't buy cookies anymore.

With me it is potato chips. If the bag is opened (no matter what the size) I have no ability to stop eating them. I may be able to have an unopened bag in the house for a day or two, but then I will stumble and open it. So no potato chips in the house. Husband doesn't mind too much because he is happy with tortilla chips as a snack, and I don't often eat corn chips, so that works for him.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »

Hah, that is my husband. A treat I like once in a while is a certain brand of chocolate chip cookie. I can buy a package and eat one. Then I put it in the cupboard and go back the next day. All the cookies are gone. Husband can't stop eating cookies until the cookies are gone. Obviously, we don't buy cookies anymore.

With me it is potato chips. If the bag is opened (no matter what the size) I have no ability to stop eating them. I may be able to have an unopened bag in the house for a day or two, but then I will stumble and open it. So no potato chips in the house. Husband doesn't mind too much because he is happy with tortilla chips as a snack, and I don't often eat corn chips, so that works for him.

My husband does this for me. I'm a diabetic and having to live in the same house with certain sweets I can't handle anymore (such as chocolate chip cookies) is stressful, but fortunately I'm indifferent to pies, and he loves them. He also likes Pringles and Pop Tarts which don't even strike me as food. Sometimes I get a crazy carb craving and take a bite of his Pop Tart, and one bite is enough to remind me that I hate Pop Tarts. Now if we could work out a similar solution to bread, everything would be peachy - since I haven't been able to eat it (and I really can't, even a small piece spikes my blood glucose levels) I can smell bread all the way across the house. But I can't expect him to give up bread, I just have to deal.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

My husband does this for me. I'm a diabetic and having to live in the same house with certain sweets I can't handle anymore (such as chocolate chip cookies) is stressful, but fortunately I'm indifferent to pies, and he loves them. He also likes Pringles and Pop Tarts which don't even strike me as food. Sometimes I get a crazy carb craving and take a bite of his Pop Tart, and one bite is enough to remind me that I hate Pop Tarts. Now if we could work out a similar solution to bread, everything would be peachy - since I haven't been able to eat it (and I really can't, even a small piece spikes my blood glucose levels) I can smell bread all the way across the house. But I can't expect him to give up bread, I just have to deal.

I love Pop Tarts, but they have to be unfrosted. I see no point in putting a sugary glaze on top of something that's already that sweet.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder that 'naturally thin' does not mean healthy or even low body fat - internal organs can be covered in unhealthy yellow fat (visceral fat) and the MONW (Metabolically Obese Normal Weight) person doesn't appear to be 'fat.' American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: ajcn.nutrition.org/content/34/8/1617.short
    National Institutes of Health: https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3610876/

Another thing to think about is that some 'naturally thin' people may have a higher proportion of brown adipose tissue to white/yellow fat. BAT actually burns calories when stimulated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    There is not necessarily a direct relationship between a higher than average TDEE/NEAT and being "naturally thin".

Since starting calorie counting in 2015, I've learned that I can eat around 30% more calories than the average for my age/weight/activity level. I don't know why.

Despite that, I've spent most if my adult life obese. Why? I ate and drank more than my high TDEE.

When I compare my ungoverned behavior to that of friends who've always been slim, I perceive that they stop eating at a point where I'd happily keep going, and historically did.

A high TDEE/NEAT, by itself, isn't enough to keep someone thin. It's only a few hundred calories, and a few hundred from unknown metabolic factors is as easy to out-eat as a few hundred from exercise.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

My mum recently bought a box of bitesize flapjacks from asda and they were the most delicious flapjacks I have ever tasted. They were pretty much just square inches of butter and golden syrup held together with a few oats.

I'm "naturally thin" and when I had the flapjacks I ate them slowly to savour every tiny bite and I only had two flapjacks a day. My overweight parents on the other hand ate each flapjack in two bites and definitely had more than two a day at because the box of 26 only lasted about three days. We agreed never to get the flapjacks again.

My "naturally thin" sister didn't touch them at all because she doesn't like flapjacks.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I think naturally thin can mean different things. As a small framed person, I need more calories per pound of bodyweight than someone who is 75 pounds heavier (assuming equal activity level). I've also always been thin my entire life.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    "Naturally thin" people have common traits. They just don't eat more than they need to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Well, obviously they don't eat more than need to. I don't think anyone is questioning that. The question was, do some people eat more than should need to and not gain weight. Do they eat more than would make the majority of other people of the same size, shape, sex, everything gain weight.

The answer is yes. Absolutely yes. But not commonly yes.
    If they AREN'T gaining weight, then they aren't overeating regardless of their size, shape, etc. Lots of people can eat lots and not gain weight because they just have more efficient metabolisms than others of the same stature.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Anecdote from a naturally thin person:

In high school I ran a lot and ate homecooked meals. My "naturally thin" body took care of the occasional junk I fed it. Take away the running and add lots more junk food... of course I gained about 30% of my body weight pretty quickly and have been struggling to lose it ever since.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    A former colleague was naturally thin, a luge long athlete, track team in high school, distance runner. Ran every day at lunch.
    Died of cardiac arrest at the age of 31 a few hundred yards from the finish line of a half marathon.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    "Naturally thin" people have common traits. They just don't eat more than they need to.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, obviously they don't eat more than need to. I don't think anyone is questioning that. The question was, do some people eat more than should need to and not gain weight. Do they eat more than would make the majority of other people of the same size, shape, sex, everything gain weight.

If they AREN'T gaining weight, then they aren't overeating regardless of their size, shape, etc. Lots of people can eat lots and not gain weight because they just have more efficient metabolisms than others of the same stature.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And that was the OP's question.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And that was the OP's question.
    No, I think the OP thinks calories are processed differently by the individuals.
    That would be a no. In general, if there's no health issue involved, people eat, digest, and then absorb macros and nutrients all the same way.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    A former colleague was naturally thin, a luge long athlete, track team in high school, distance runner. Ran every day at lunch.
    Died of cardiac arrest at the age of 31 a few hundred yards from the finish line of a half marathon.

So?

Given that he was exercising and normal weigh he most likely lived longer with the poor hand he was dealt regarding his heart genetics vs someone that was fat and lived on the couch.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Another characteristic of 'naturally thin' people is they tend to be active even when sedentary - they wriggle, fidget, and make hundreds of small movements while the overweight person sitting next to them is completely still. Start watching your 'naturally thin' friends while they're watching TV - How many times do they change position? Do they wave their arms about when they talk? Are they jiggling their foot? Do they get up often to make tea or grab something?.

I took some time away from this post and watched my husband, who is one of these "naturally thin" folks I speak of....he moves a lot. At work he takes the stairs, is always moving his feet, etc. It was interesting.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    "Naturally" being more inclined to be active, or to eat less, is still not the same as being "naturally thin" as most people use it.