Did you injure yourself when starting a new workout regimen?

Options
2»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Injured myself doing Stronglifts about 5 yrs ago,as part of a weightloss effort, just 3-4months after starting the program.

Lifted too much weight, too soon w/o proper form. Seriously strained my right SI joint doing a squat at 180. Had 2 surgically administered cortisone injections but they didn't solve the problem. The only thing that did was rest and time.

After a 3 yr hiatus w/o doing any exercise or lifting, which is why I gained weight again, I started another weigtloss effort and started lifting again. This time I chose to follow the Starting Strength program but was careful to be more patient in pushing up the weight.

My calculated 1RM for squats is now 270 and I can easily do 10x180 for a warmup.

Lesson learned.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Shin splints when I started running. Maybe 6 months in. Everybody (almost) gets them at some point.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm on a jacked up knee right now. Who knew I could mess myself up so badly squatting. (No weights, just bodyweight). Cant afford a coach or trainer and don't seem to get it (form, technique) from reading and internet video so it is looking like I'm just out of luck on strength and weight work :(

Thank heavens I like to swim, know how to swim, and the knee thing actually forces my front crawl kick into better form.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    No. I tend to be cautious when I start something new.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've injured myself with cardio workouts. I went through a time earlier this year when it seemed I couldn't do cardio without hurting myself somewhere. I seem to have gotten past that at this time.