Not enough calories- rant

Options
Over the last year I have lost about 60 lbs. I'm 5'4" 140 lbs. I exercise almost every day, sometimes twice a day. My registered dietician has me eating only 1500 calories a day! We've talked about upping my calories. I was tested and have a RMR of 1350 calories.

I tried carb cycling but it doesn't seem to work when I'm always hungry. I have 27% body fat and about 100 lbs lean muscle mass. I know my dietician will up my calories but I'm so frustrated! I'm still losing weight slowly but mostly focusing on losing body fat.

I'm in this for the long haul but I'm sick of feeling like I'm on diet! I don't think my dietician understands that I don't want to lose weight this quickly!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just eat more....
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the "just eat more" statement. Honestly test it out, don't go adding 1,000 calories today or anything, but bump up a bit and see how your body reacts.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    As long as you are losing I think you should get to decide how fast or slow the progress will be.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    At 5'4", 1500 does not sound that low unless you are very active. Perhaps it is more what you are eating than your caloric intake. If your food choices aren't satisfying then you feel deprived.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one bothered by the math?

If you are 140 lbs with 27% BF you do not have anywhere near 100 lb of lean muscle mass.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

If you are 140 lbs with 27% BF you do not have anywhere near 100 lb of lean muscle mass.

????

140 * 27% = 37.8.
    140 - 37.8 = 102.2

So this person is made entirely of fat and muscle? :o
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options

????

140 * 27% = 37.8.
    140 - 37.8 = 102.2

LBM counts everything other than fat, including organs, bone, etc.
    So this calculation is correct.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited September 2017
    Options

????

140 * 27% = 37.8.
    140 - 37.8 = 102.2

No, the calculation is wrong because of that.

LBM =/= lean muscle mass

LBM = lean body mass
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    In the original post the OP said "100 lbs lean muscle mass". They don't understand lean body mass includes tissues, organs, blood, bones, etc. They think they are 27% body fat and everything else is muscle.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    In the original post the OP said "100 lbs lean muscle mass". They don't understand lean body mass includes tissues, organs, blood, bones, etc. They think they are 27% body fat and everything else is muscle.

I know. But I guess I was the only one bothered by it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    First, unless you paid for a scan, the fat % you got is probably not accurate anyway (I know that they often use scales, and those are not accurate at all).

Second, I'm confused about how you're both losing weight slowly and too fast. You will lose muscle mass if you lose weight too fast at this point. I'd talk more to your dietitian or fire her (really, what does she offer you that you can't do with MFP?).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

????

140 * 27% = 37.8.
    140 - 37.8 = 102.2

No, the calculation is wrong because of that.

LBM =/= lean muscle mass

LBM = lean body mass

And there is no such thing as lean muscle mass. I pointed that out in posting further down.

But that confusion always comes up with muscle mass and LBM equated.