Not enough calories- rant

Options
2»

Replies

• tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Also consider switching the kinds of food. People are satiated on different macros! I can eat a bunch of carbs and be hungry inside an hour. Eat less calories of protein? I'm good for hours. Everyone is different.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if your dietician doesn't understand that stuff - then you need to find a new one...
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Are you NETTING 1500, or are you just eating 1500 (not compensating for exercise calories burnt)?

I've been averaging 1300 calories with a 30 minute circuit training workout 3 days a week for 6 weeks and feel fine. And I'm 5'11 and very close to my goal weight. So, if I can do 1300, 1500 would be a vacation.

I think it might be "what" you are eating, not "how much". Fat and Protein are your friends.
  • KristyDonovan
    KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    She didn't understand the nuances because I did not give her all the information she needed. It was my fault. I don't eat back any exercise calories. Think my dietician is bogus.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    She didn't understand the nuances because I did not give her all the information she needed. It was my fault. I don't eat back any exercise calories. Think my dietician is bogus.

or like you said, you didn't give her all the information she needed...

what have you upped your calories to OP?
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    and if she is calculating your calories based on TDEE then you DON'T eat back workout calories...difference in how MFP calculates calories compared to other calculators
  • KristyDonovan
    KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    She hasn't gotten back to me with my new intake. We've been playing phone tag. Until she does I'll probably eat 1600-1700 calories. I'm sure I'll hear from her today, though.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    using http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/ and your stats (I assuming 30 for age) and moderate activity - your TDEE is 2077 (to maintain weight) - this is using Mifflin St Jeor calculation; if you take an average of the 6 calculators then it gives you 2180 calories

I would potentially increase up to that and doing progressive strength training - will help with recomp
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Wow I had no idea the thread would go in this direction. People are extremely interesting! I appreciate everyone's feedback and I apologize that my original post was not through. It was simply a rant.

Yes, I know I am made up of more than muscle and fat- I simply misspoke. I originally was losing 5-10lbs a month. Now I'd be happy just doing body recomp. I don't have a goal weight. I spoke with my dietician about my goals and we are going to up my calories. I have no desire to lose 1-2lbs a week. I solely want to focus on body fat percentage. I know scales are not 100% effective at measuring body fat but as long as I am consistently decreasing on the same scale I am satisfied.

My measurements are decreasing quite a bit every month which feels great! The reason I want more calories is because I am training for an inline skating marathon. Some weeks I skate 70+ miles. I also have a neurological disorder that requires me to eat a certain amount of calories when I take my medications or I'll get wicked sick.

My dietician simply didn't understand the nuances of my situation or the demands I've been placing on my body.

Thanks everyone!

Even though you don't have a particular goal in mind, unless you have a small frame, at 5'4" and 140 pounds you must be within 20 pounds of goal yes? In that case, I suggest you use MFP to obtain your calories.

Set your weekly weight loss goal to a half pound per week and eat back some to all of your exercise calories - experiment with what works for you. Some here easily eat 100% and others recommend 50% as the MFP database entries are inflated for them.

Or perhaps you want to maintain and just recomp. In which case you'd eat at maintenance.

Congrats on your loss so far! At this point with your current goals, you might be better off working with a trainer than a dietitian. (Don't get nutritional advice from your trainer.)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Holy cow--if I were skating 70 miles a week and just eating 1500 calories a day, I would seriously be tearing someone's head off. Skating is a considerable calorie burn. Your rant was very restrained for this situation. :)

I agree with the comments that suggest you might want to spend some time at maintenance and focus on recomping with resistance training, while getting some excellent cardio preparing for your skating event.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ok, gotta ask - how long distance and general time for a skating marathon?

And is this outside skating, or like the constant dancing contests, inside on rink non-stop movement (hopefully restroom allowed)?