Is fruit healthy?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    All

I am on a fitness quest since last few weeks and want to know if it's ok to have some fruits in my routine. Might sound like a silly question since ofcourse fruits are considered to be good but I have also seen a lot of negative comments! I would love to know how you all think! Thanks!

Fruits are healthy. If you have a medical reason to watch your sugars or carbs, limit the amount of them you eat and do not drink fruit juice.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    It's a sad world in which we live when this is legitimately asked because of widespread misinformation.

Agree. Trying so hard to be nice and helpful, instead of saying the first thing that popped into my head.

Berries, apples, pineapple, peaches, kiwi, clementines, etc, etc. Oh, so good! (Except you, cantaloupe. You suck.)

You need to pour a brandy-infused syrup over it and add some chopped mint leaves.

Hmmm, intriguing. But I really don't like cantaloupe. It would have to completely change the flavor to make me like it.

I'm glad someone else hates the taste of cantaloupe. It's disgusting & everyone looks at me weird because I don't like it

I get those looks when I mention I hate bananas.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    It wholly depends on HOW YOUR BODY reacts to them. If your blood sugar is stable then they wouldn't be a problem as long as they were included in your total allowable calories. For other people, like me, for example, unless I eat fruit with a protein or as part of a meal, it affects my blood sugar.
  • Daniellemh33
    Daniellemh33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Fruits are great in moderation. I try to eat different kinds. I find that I crave fruit when I'm thirsty. I drink water first and if I still want fruit then I eat some, but most of the time after I drink water I don't want fruit anymore.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It's a sad world in which we live when this is legitimately asked because of widespread misinformation.

I was coming in here to post this very same sentiment.

Fruit is a whole, natural food packed full of nutrients. Enjoy it as part of a balanced diet.

Edit: We're coming into apple season people! I know apples are boring to a lot of people, but seriously, a chilled in season Honeycrisp is a treat.

I just made applesauce in the crockpot. What I like to do is get 3 lbs of assorted apples in there. A Honeycrisp, an Ida Red, a McIntosh, a Granny Smith... No Red Delicious, though. They're pretty but tasteless.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Fruit is a whole, natural food packed full of nutrients. Enjoy it as part of a balanced diet.

Edit: We're coming into apple season people! I know apples are boring to a lot of people, but seriously, a chilled in season Honeycrisp is a treat.

I just made applesauce in the crockpot. What I like to do is get 3 lbs of assorted apples in there. A Honeycrisp, an Ida Red, a McIntosh, a Granny Smith... No Red Delicious, though. They're pretty but tasteless.

Homemade applesauce is one of the purest pleasures on earth.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Fruit is healthy for most people. Unless you have a medical condition for which you've been advised not to eat fruit, which I'm assuming you don't since you are asking, it should be fine for you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

It's already apple season here and it's been a good year. I canned so much apple butter and apple-pumpkin butter (also pumpkin season). And a few pints of applesauce for the grandkids (I can't stand it).
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I'm on a healthy calorie controlled diet, there isn't much room for fruit because of the sugar. Mfp diary pops up with some message telling me off. I didn't eat any fruit at one point because it didn't fit my macros very well. I add fruit now regardless and I feel healthier.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I'm on a healthy calorie controlled diet, there isn't much room for fruit because of the sugar. Mfp diary pops up with some message telling me off. I didn't eat any fruit at one point because it didn't fit my macros very well. I add fruit now regardless and I feel healthier.

I personally ignore the MFP recommendation for sugar - I use fiber and sodium as my 2 additional columns
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Most whole fruits are highly nutritious. If you have no medical reason to restrict carbs there is no downside.

Even if you do have a medical reason, you should test your own blood sugar after eating fruit and learn how you react rather than simply assuming. I'm a type 2 diabetic, which means I do have a reason to watch carbs, and whole fruit does not spike my blood glucose, unlike some other foods such as refined flour, added sugars, and rice. Different diabetics react differently to foods - I have a friend who does spike in response to fruits - but for me it seems the fiber slows down digestion enough that the sugar is not a problem. Even very sugary fruits such as peaches and grapes are not an issue for me in moderation.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Things that are not healthy:
    - Smoking
    - Cocaine and other hard drugs
    - Alcoholism
    - Trans fats (probably?)
    - Obesity

Humans are very resilient when it comes to food and can thrive on many styles of eating. That's why lots of people succeed as vegetarians, while other's succeed with high-protein while others may succeed with low-carb/keto. Health is mainly based on genetics, and the "unhealthy" stuff I mentioned above. If you're generally in good health, you could probably just eat fast food for every meal at reasonable portions and not suffer much consequence, health-wise.

The core tenets of healthy eating are:
    - Everything in moderation
    - Adequate protein/fat

So... obviously fruit are fine. They have nutrients that are good for your body. But if you only ate apples all day, you'd suffer from lack of protein and fat and missing out on other nutrients. So moderation is key.

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Great Apes, like humans, have been eating fruit longer than any other food. I think you're safe.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Just as an FYI, you can turn off those "insights" in your diary. I found them to be fairly nonsensical (they'd praise a food as high in protein one day and then scold me for the fat in it the very next day) so I shut them off as soon as MFP gave us the option.
  • AlexandraWk89
    AlexandraWk89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think you should only avoid it if you're like me :D I'm absolute fruitoholic
  • earlnabby
    Options

I make my applesauce from 100% Cortlands. Not as sweet as others and their skins give a great pinky color to the applesauce.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options

It's already apple season here and it's been a good year. I canned so much apple butter and apple-pumpkin butter (also pumpkin season). And a few pints of applesauce for the grandkids (I can't stand it).

What even is apple butter and why has it been missing from my life???
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

What even is apple butter and why has it been missing from my life???

That's the saddest thing I've read on here in a long time, Aeloine. :(