How does all this calorie counting work??

Options
124»

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My fitnesspal counter gave me 1800 but I want to drop weight and since I work out, calorie in and calorie out...so I chose to lower my intake. I'm lost lol

Then you should eat 1800. Faster does NOT equal better in this game.

In fact, if the more you exercise, the more you should eat.

I exercise every day both cardio and strength training. I started out cutting carbs, which cut calories significantly, it also suppresses my appitite. So how do I get more calories if I'm just not hungry?

Ice cream, peanut butter, chocolate... I could go on.

I eat peanut butter :) I'm obese and want to lose 80 pounds, so ice cream is not an option

Why is it not an option? Seriously I started out at 290lb, have lost 141lb and eat ice cream on a fairly regular basis throughout the warmer months.

• nicci288693
    nicci288693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    My fitnesspal counter gave me 1800 but I want to drop weight and since I work out, calorie in and calorie out...so I chose to lower my intake. I'm lost lol

I exercise every day both cardio and strength training. I started out cutting carbs, which cut calories significantly, it also suppresses my appitite. So how do I get more calories if I'm just not hungry?

Ice cream, peanut butter, chocolate... I could go on.

I eat peanut butter :) I'm obese and want to lose 80 pounds, so ice cream is not an option

Why is it not an option? Seriously I started out at 290lb, have lost 141lb and eat ice cream on a fairly regular basis throughout the warmer months.

I do better on a more structured diet. I'm not confident enough in my diet yet to add sweets back in without over doing it. And I'm on a very low carb low sugar diet. It's working and I don't want to mess it up.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Make different food choices..........

When people eliminate carbs, they generally eat more fat. Olive oil, avocado, nuts, nut butter, full fat dairy......
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

Are you planning on low carbing after weight loss? Because you will have more calories then. If you can't eat your calories now, how are you going to eat them in the future?

If you are planning on eating more carbs after weight loss, then you will still need MFP to monitor your calorie consumption because you haven't been "practicing" good portion control for a great many foods. Elimination diets kind of make you start over (unless they are lifestyle changes).
  • nicci288693
    nicci288693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Make different food choices..........

When people eliminate carbs, they generally eat more fat. Olive oil, avocado, nuts, nut butter, full fat dairy......
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

Are you planning on low carbing after weight loss? Because you will have more calories then. If you can't eat your calories now, how are you going to eat them in the future?

If you are planning on eating more carbs after weight loss, then you will still need MFP to monitor your calorie consumption because you haven't been "practicing" good portion control for a great many foods. Elimination diets kind of make you start over (unless they are lifestyle changes).

I plan on eating keto as a lifestyle not just a diet
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    It's working and I don't want to mess it up.

That's the important part. As you go though be thinking about if eating the way you are now is feasible for long term (as in forever) because low carb/low sugar diets, unless it's a medical requirement such as a diabetic, generally aren't followed forever. Once you lose your weight and go off that diet you could easily rebound all the weight you lost. It was better for me (everyone's different) to simply practice calorie restriction because I could eat the things I normally do (within reason) and once I hit my goal all I had to do was continue with the same foods and slowly increase my calories. Here I am 2 years later and have not regained the weight doing it that way. There are some differences still. For instance I still drink almond milk (because I found I like it better than fatty milk) and make sure I get my protein, fiber, fat, and carbs (in that order) in my set macros, but I eat what I want. I also kept up my exercise regimen I learned while dieting.