Does it matter what foods make up my daily calorie intake?

If my daily calorie intake is 1800, if I eat this amount of calories in junk food would it make me gain weight or does it not matter what types of foods I eat as long as I stick to the same amount of calories? Any advice?

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,447 Member
    Yes you will lose weight as long as you eat less than you burn.
    That said nutrition is importantfor things like good hair and nails and energy and muscles.
    So yes it mostly healthy foods but save a bit of space for things like ice cream and Reese cups because delicious matters too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2017
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Yes you will lose weight as long as you eat less than you burn.
    That said nutrition is importantfor things like good hair and nails and energy and muscles.
    So yes it mostly healthy foods but save a bit of space for things like ice cream and Reese cups because delicious matters too.

...Heart, endocrine system, and everything else.

.... and delicious nutrient dense foods as well!

(yes, treats are fun, and delicious too. But it's not an either/or. Nutrient dense foods can be super delicious as well)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    When you are trying to gain weight, but struggling to consistently consume enough calories, adding some less nutritious, calorie dense foods may be beneficial.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    lozzah8791 wrote: »
    If my daily calorie intake is 1800, if I eat this amount of calories in junk food would it make me gain weight or does it not matter what types of foods I eat as long as I stick to the same amount of calories? Any advice?

Nope- for weight gain/loss, it doesn't matter.

However,
    [1] you should make sure to get an adequate intake of protein in order to keep/build muscle (loss of that can decrease your calories out further down the road and in that way effect continuing weight loss/maintenance and your appearance at that weight).
    [2] adequate amounts of vitamins/minerals/fiber/fat (junk food should supply plenty of the last one).
    [3] 'Junk food' does tend to be calorie dense and not always very satiating..so it might be harder to stay within a certain number of calories if getting much of it from junk food.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Calories are all that count for weight loss. Getting a balanced diet rich in nutrients counts for energy, health, satiety, certain fitness goals, and likely other stuff I'm leaving out. But get that balanced diet with foods you enjoy. If you hate steamed rice and boiled chicken, then don't eat them. If you want something truly decadent, make room for it by eating a bit lighter on some of your other meals, exercising a bit more, or 'banking' calories (e.g. eating 100 calories below your target six days and then having a 600-calorie splurge on the seventh).

As a general rule, I try to limit my homemade desserts to 200 calories or fewer per serving. This week, that's crockpot applesauce, but in the past, it's been chocolate coconut truffles, meringues, sorbet, various unfrosted cakes, fruits cooked in a syrup that usually involves booze... (Oh and that applesauce? Has added honey and brown sugar. Not a whole lot of it, but enough to make me feel like I got a real dessert, not a consolation prize.)

And sometimes, I do have some jelly beans, red licorice, chocolate covered almonds or a piece of birthday cake, or a frosted shortbread. It's all about context, dosage, and moderation.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    lozzah8791 wrote: »

It only matters for nutrition and health. In theory, you could eat 1800 kcals of cake and lose weight, but that would be incredibly unhealthy.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    All good advice. And not one reply that didn't answer the question with a "yes", but then go on to talk about nutrition as well.

still waiting for that mystery person that advocates a diet of 100% junk, I see...:)

Ayup!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    All good advice. And not one reply that didn't answer the question with a "yes", but then go on to talk about nutrition as well.

still waiting for that mystery person that advocates a diet of 100% junk, I see...:)

Ayup!
    I never see anyone advocating for it, but I sure see a lot of people asking if they *can* eat their calorie allotment in junk food and lose weight. What I'm not always sure of is if they are asking for arguments sake, hypothetically, or because they want to know if *they* can.