Does it matter what foods make up my daily calorie intake?

Replies

• Strictly speaking, it shouldn't affect weight loss, as long as you stick to your calorie goals. However, it could affect body composition, if you aren't getting enough nutrition to support muscle growth and repair. Also, high levels of sodium might contribute to bloating and weight fluctuations.

I think it's much harder to stick with your calorie goals if you aren't getting adequate nutrition. Your body has had enough calories, but not enough nutrients, so there is a physiological drive to keep eating. That said, too austere of a diet can make you feel deprived. I recommend an overall balanced diet with regular treats.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There are various groups for specific ways of eating that are low fat (like Fuhrman), but no question that low carb is currently much more trendy than low fat.

The alternative to low carb is not low fat, however, that's a false dichotomy. Some enjoy eating lower fat, some enjoy eating moderate fat, some enjoy eating higher fat. What is more satiating depends on the person and what else the person eats, obviously.

The Japanese diet is WAY lower fat than the US diet, and yet the Japanese obesity stats are better (and were even better when the diet was even lower fat, and more traditional). I don't think the Japanese perceive themselves as constantly starving, but perhaps you do.

^This.

And to further to address the PP, the vast majority of forum posters don't belong to groups, and the vast majority of forum posters simply eat balanced macros.

I happen to eat low fat since I have familial hypercholesterolemia, but most MFP'ers who aren't low-carbing get more fat than I do. I also am not satiated by fat and don't particularly feel that I want to spend calories on it.

Furthermore, what is this, a popularity contest now? This isn't about fads or popularity, for goodness sake. We don't need groups or support to just eat what we like and control our calories. Weight loss is a complicated process and people approach it from all sorts of perspectives. The single perspective that I find most mystifying is that of finding a certain way of eating to be a belief system that everyone else needs to share or it upsets the belief holders world view.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    There are various groups for specific ways of eating that are low fat (like Fuhrman), but no question that low carb is currently much more trendy than low fat.

The alternative to low carb is not low fat, however, that's a false dichotomy. Some enjoy eating lower fat, some enjoy eating moderate fat, some enjoy eating higher fat. What is more satiating depends on the person and what else the person eats, obviously.

The Japanese diet is WAY lower fat than the US diet, and yet the Japanese obesity stats are better (and were even better when the diet was even lower fat, and more traditional). I don't think the Japanese perceive themselves as constantly starving, but perhaps you do.

It is socially unacceptable to be fat in Japan. Real fat shaming there.

That's a non sequitur that really doesn't address why the Japanese obesity stats are better.

Precisely.

Especially if the contention is that they are constantly starving.

I suspect that the average Japanese person would not say he or she is starving.
  • lemurcat12
    Re macros and obesity, on average increased obesity in developing countries goes along with increased protein and fat. Is that because protein and fat make you fat? No, it's because they are moving from a subsistence diet to one that might, in some ways, be healthier, but also has unhealthy aspects and goes along with diseases of surplus.

Anyone who claims that a particular macro breakdown can't be satiating or leads to obesity, inherently, isn't looking at the evidence of human diets (which are extremely diverse, and obesity is not attached to any particular mix, nor is health).

There are particular issues with diets that can be unhealthy, obviously, but other than being so low on fat and protein as to suggest one may be generally nutrient deficient or struggling on a low cal or mononutrient diet, in large part, macros is the wrong place to look.

Among other things, there are huge differences in sources of all three macros.

Someone who insists that a particular macro or foods that have long been the staple food of most human diets (essentially, starch) cannot be filling or healthy and will necessarily lead to obesity seems to me to be uneducated on nutrition and perhaps to be too much buying into some low carb hooey.

That's not a slam on low carbing, which I often do and quite enjoy. It's a slam on the idea that CARBS are unhealthy or eating carbs will make everyone hungry and fat.
  • lemurcat12

That's a non sequitur that really doesn't address why the Japanese obesity stats are better.

Precisely.

What does not being overweight have to do with starving?

Go back to how this particular side discussion began: the contention that staple starchy carbs (specifically, rice) will make you so hungry you will not be able to help overeating and that eating a low fat/high carb diet therefore leads to obesity. That was the contention you claimed was so reasonable plus your implication in claiming that low carb is good for weight loss and low fat is bad.

I don't like low fat for me, but it works well for various groups of humans (plenty of traditional healthy diets were lower fat), and for individuals even in the US. The US diet on average (the one followed on average by obese people in the US) is certainly not low fat.
  • lemurcat12

Precisely.

What does not being overweight have to do with starving?

Go back to how this particular side discussion began: the contention that staple starchy carbs (specifically, rice) will make you so hungry you will not be able to help overeating and that eating a low fat/high carb diet therefore leads to obesity. That was the contention you claimed was so reasonable plus your implication in claiming that low carb is good for weight loss and low fat is bad.

I don't like low fat for me, but it works well for various groups of humans (plenty of traditional healthy diets were lower fat), and for individuals even in the US. The US diet on average (the one followed on average by obese people in the US) is certainly not low fat.

Never claimed low-fat is great for everyone and low-fat is bad for everyone. It just seems to me that there are more successes with a higher-fat, lower carb diet than the other way around.

You seem to be relying on anecdotal evidence from sources that are promoting that conclusion.

This is interesting: https://deniseminger.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/

Also, again, look at traditional diets. Healthy diets are all over the place with macros, but if you focus on blue zones you see some commonalities like not a lot of sat fat/animal products (but not none), a good amount of veg, high fiber.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Like others, I would be interested in OPs motivation for posting this in the first place. Was it merely a hypothetical to provoke discussion? Or are you considering filling your 1800 calorie days with nothing but "junk" food? And what does that mean to you OP? What would your ideal 1800 calorie day look like?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Unless you really think that their culture of fat shaming is the sole reason they aren't obese. If you really think that, I'm just going to walk away shaking my head.

The Japanese have the same fast-food restaurants and high-calorie packaged junk food offerings that we have, yet the remain just about the thinnest country on the planet. Meanwhile, obesity and T2 diabetes are soaring in China.

WHY?

More non sequiturs from you.

When I was growing up in the 60's, we had fast food restaurants and packaged convenience foods too.

The population was much thinner then.

The answer to your question is that people avail themselves of these things as occasional indulgences rather than regular parts of their daily diets.

This isn't rocket science.

Energy balance is still king.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »
    It does matter because some food will provide you with more satiety than other food. Find the foods that you enjoy and fill you up. It will make your life a lot easier.

Everyone is different. If I eat a 350-calorie donut I might as well have eaten nothing. But a 250-calorie omelet stuffed with all sorts of stuff (the eggs contain 150 calories) keeps me full for a long time.

A 350 cal donut (I'm looking at you apple fritter) would totally fill me up. So you see, it's all individual.

Pssst....apple fritter is closer to 410 o:)
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    It matters in how it affects your satiety. But no, it doesn't matter in terms of weight loss. I know this because most days I eat alot of sweets- donuts, ice cream, ect. I still lose as long as I'm in deficit. You could eat an entire box of cereal and still lose, but will you feel good or satiated for long? That's the problem..