Garmin Forerunner 235

Options
ABabilonia
ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
edited September 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone have the Garmin Forerunner 235? I am essentially looking for a Smartwatch for running. I am training for a 10K. I currently have the FitBit Blaze, and although I love FitBit and this device has been with me throughout my 50 lbs. weight loss journey, I think that it's time to get a new gadget. Since I've been running more, running with a phone (just to synch the FitBit with the GPS) it's just uncomfortable. I essentially looking at the Forerunner 235 for budget reasons. If you have this gadget, please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have a different Garmin watch, and used to have a Fitbit. This is worlds better.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have the 225 for running, it's fab, I love It!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have a 735XT, so the same form factor and GPS package, but broader range of data collection and multi sport.

They're light, easily readable, quick to acquire a position and they'll connect to a range of accessories.

Garmin equipment is generally very good, but they do tend to go through a public beta. The 235 is a mature, stable device so that shouldn't be an issue.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I was going to get the 235, would be my third Garmin device. But they just released the Vivoactive 3 and that will suit my needs better so have it on pre-order. But basically I don't think you can go wrong with Garmin.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've had my 235 since it was released. I love it, and I've never had any issues. Unlike my older Garmin it gets the GPS signal instantly. I have super small wrists, and it fits comfortably.
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone :)
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    I have a 735XT, so the same form factor and GPS package, but broader range of data collection and multi sport.

They're light, easily readable, quick to acquire a position and they'll connect to a range of accessories.

Garmin equipment is generally very good, but they do tend to go through a public beta. The 235 is a mature, stable device so that shouldn't be an issue.

I was watching this one too. Does this model have wrist HRM?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »

It does. In practice the only useful data point from always on HR is resting heart rate. Personally I find it overinflates background calorie estimation.

I find it accurate enough for running but got the set with the HRM Tri and HRM Swim. I use an Edge 520 for cycling though, as what mounted is of limited value in that situation.
  • ABabilonia
    Options

It does. In practice the only useful data point from always on HR is resting heart rate. Personally I find it overinflates background calorie estimation.

I find it accurate enough for running but got the set with the HRM Tri and HRM Swim. I use an Edge 520 for cycling though, as what mounted is of limited value in that situation.

Thanks. As long as it's accurate enough for running I'll be a happy camper (runner).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I was looking at the 235 also (and then the Vivoactive 3, which I was pretty much sold on), but I ended up buying the 935 just over a week ago. The 235 will be a big improvement over your Fitbit and should work great for your running.

If you want a thorough, in-depth review of the 235 before you buy, check out DC Rainmaker's review of it. It will answer questions you didn't even know you wanted to ask, lol.
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I was looking at the 235 also (and then the Vivoactive 3, which I was pretty much sold on), but I ended up buying the 935 just over a week ago. The 235 will be a big improvement over your Fitbit and should work great for your running.

If you want a thorough, in-depth review of the 235 before you buy, check out DC Rainmaker's review of it. It will answer questions you didn't even know you wanted to ask, lol.

Great review, thanks for the link.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

What did you like on the 935 to get you to spend the extra bucks? I have a VAHR and am looking at the VA3.

Thanks.
  • Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Love my 235, it's my everyday watch now too rather than just my running watch.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I use the 230 same as 235 but no wrist based hrm. I really like it easy to use and as accurate as anything else I've ever tried. I opted for the chest strap bundle as its more accurate for running and I just don't care about my pulse rate any other time of the day.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I got one back in June. My Charge HR bit the dust after getting caught in a rainstorm. So I started looking at waterproof options and since I primarily run I decided on the Garmin 235.

So far I really like it. It's quite a bit larger than the Fitbit, but it's also easier to read. It's great for running - you can see your splits and mileage as you run. It gives you a ton of data once you finish too.

Overall it gives me fewer steps and far fewer calories than the Fitbit did, but I'm not too concerned. I wasn't sold on the accuracy of the Fitbit, rather I used it as a guideline for moving more.

The Connect app isn't as nice as Fitbit, but they seem to be actively trying to improve it. It's enough for me, I like to track my steps and workouts and it does both.
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I got one back in June. My Charge HR bit the dust after getting caught in a rainstorm. So I started looking at waterproof options and since I primarily run I decided on the Garmin 235.

So far I really like it. It's quite a bit larger than the Fitbit, but it's also easier to read. It's great for running - you can see your splits and mileage as you run. It gives you a ton of data once you finish too.

Overall it gives me fewer steps and far fewer calories than the Fitbit did, but I'm not too concerned. I wasn't sold on the accuracy of the Fitbit, rather I used it as a guideline for moving more.

The Connect app isn't as nice as Fitbit, but they seem to be actively trying to improve it. It's enough for me, I like to track my steps and workouts and it does both.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, FitBit seems to be a little inaccurate and I'm not too concerned about calories or steps either. At this point I'm more worry about pace and miles (at least for now), so I'm sold on the Garmin Forerunner 235. Thanks everyone.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

What did you like on the 935 to get you to spend the extra bucks? I have a VAHR and am looking at the VA3.

Thanks.

The training load feature works pretty well. I think the 935 has a barometric altimeter? It supports power meters too, and has longer battery life. I don't know if the VA series can do turn by turn? I considered the 935 and it has a lot to love, but wound up with an F5X instead.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thanks. As long as it's accurate enough for running I'll be a happy camper (runner).

I find my 225 is usually within 50 cals of the bodyweight x 0.63 x distance calculation for calories burnt.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Thanks.

Honestly, the biggest thing (vs. the VA3) was having the five hard buttons instead of one button, touch screen and the 'swipe' function on the side of the case. I've worn an Apple Watch for the past two years and the touch/swipe gets a little fiddly/finicky - especially with wet fingers (not sure if that's the case with the Garmin, DC Rainmaker said he had no problems with it except the screen going a little crazy when he got it wet). I just like the idea of hard buttons to push.

Battery life on the 935 is longer, the workout pages are a bit more customizable and the 935 offers more training info (training load/productivity, etc.) - not features I need, because I'm not that 'hardcore' of an athlete, but I am finding them insightful. And I like numbers, lol.

The VA3 looks like a great watch, the price point is considerably lower ($299 vs $499) and it will be more than enough for most people in terms of functionality. It even has things the 935 doesn't (i.e. contactless payment and rep counting in strength workouts are two that come to mind immediately). I just liked the 935 a little better. I liked both the VA3 and the 935 better than the 235 because of their ability to track multiple sports, but if I was primarily a runner that wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

The training load feature works pretty well. I think the 935 has a barometric altimeter? It supports power meters too, and has longer battery life. I don't know if the VA series can do turn by turn? I considered the 935 and it has a lot to love, but wound up with an F5X instead.

Yes, the 935 does have a barometric altimeter. It does rudimentary mapping just like the 'regular' (non "X" model) Fenix watches - you can create routes in Garmin Connect, upload them to the watch and it will navigate them, but they won't be overlaid on a visible map like the F5X. According to DCR's review, the 935 is the (non-"X") Fenix's guts in a polymer case instead of metal - with the addition of wi-fi, which only certain Fenix models have.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I had a Fenix 3 before this. It's has the same breadcrumb trail mapping as the 935. I've used it to navigate me through unfamiliar territory on the bike and in the backcountry on foot. I save waypoints for things like where to find water, good camps, etc, or use Ride With GPS to plan a course and send it to the watch.

We're supposed to get fire season ending rains starting later today. My watch has been going crazy with storm alarms lately.