Confused About Weight Loss Plateau

Options

Replies

• CheersforWhit
    CheersforWhit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I have been losing over a pound a week for 12 weeks so I consider it a plateau . If I'm running a calorie deficit and exercising I should be losing. I believe the issue is not enough fiber in my diet so I'm going to try that. Thanks anyway
    It's a stall though and not a plateau. A plateau would be 6 weeks or more of no weight movement if one was CONSISTENT (especially in calorie counts) with diet and exercise. If consistency was lost at anytime, then it wouldn't be a plateau. It is a stall, but usually by identifying certain things (calories taken in, rest, exercise) and making adjustments, it should resolve itself.
    I liken a stall and plateau to a stop sign and a red light stop . One is a quick stop, the other could keep you there awhile.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Im extremely consistent . I have a menu I eat every week. Breakfast Lunch and Dinner. As in I eat 2 pieces of 6oz baked fish every Monday with half a cup of broccoli. I am also very consistent with exercise.

• CheersforWhit
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Okay just so we're clear. I know my body. I know what I eat. If I eat the same thing all the time it's illogical to track calories because the calories in the things I eat don't change. And finally I know when I've hit a plateau because I know my body. Thank you to everyone who posted positive support and answered the question.

You may eat the same things, but are you sure you're eating the same amounts of those things. A little creep in portion sizes with high cal stuff is going to mount up pretty quickly.

Nony. Nope. Not the case. I literally eat the same thing. Not sure why thats so difficult to understand.
    So you eat the same thing everyday and have lost weight. But when you lose weight, you need less to eat. So if you're eating the same amount, then you're more likely closer to maintenance. However, we don't know because you don't know how many calories you're eating in the first place.
    From the above, if you know your body, then you should have no problem figuring out what the issue is. But yet you're here asking?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

-*sighs* I know how many calories I'm eating. I said I don't count calories anymore because when I planned my menu 12 weeks ago I counted the calories then. And have not deviated from that. Hence I don't count calories anymore
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Okay just so we're clear. I know my body. I know what I eat. If I eat the same thing all the time it's illogical to track calories because the calories in the things I eat don't change. And finally I know when I've hit a plateau because I know my body. Thank you to everyone who posted positive support and answered the question.

You may eat the same things, but are you sure you're eating the same amounts of those things. A little creep in portion sizes with high cal stuff is going to mount up pretty quickly.

Nony. Nope. Not the case. I literally eat the same thing. Not sure why thats so difficult to understand.
    So you eat the same thing everyday and have lost weight. But when you lose weight, you need less to eat. So if you're eating the same amount, then you're more likely closer to maintenance. However, we don't know because you don't know how many calories you're eating in the first place.
    From the above, if you know your body, then you should have no problem figuring out what the issue is. But yet you're here asking?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

-*sighs* I know how many calories I'm eating. I said I don't count calories anymore because when I planned my menu 12 weeks ago I counted the calories then. And have not deviated from that. Hence I don't count calories anymore

How much weight have you lost in 12 weeks?
  • CheersforWhit
    Options
    I have been losing over a pound a week for 12 weeks so I consider it a plateau . If I'm running a calorie deficit and exercising I should be losing. I believe the issue is not enough fiber in my diet so I'm going to try that. Thanks anyway
    It's a stall though and not a plateau. A plateau would be 6 weeks or more of no weight movement if one was CONSISTENT (especially in calorie counts) with diet and exercise. If consistency was lost at anytime, then it wouldn't be a plateau. It is a stall, but usually by identifying certain things (calories taken in, rest, exercise) and making adjustments, it should resolve itself.
    I liken a stall and plateau to a stop sign and a red light stop . One is a quick stop, the other could keep you there awhile.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Im extremely consistent . I have a menu I eat every week. Breakfast Lunch and Dinner. As in I eat 2 pieces of 6oz baked fish every Monday with half a cup of broccoli. I am also very consistent with exercise.
    How do you know they are 6 oz if you don't measure? How do you know you've drank the same amount of liquids everyday without measuring? How do you know the intensity of your exercise is exact every time? You can't just by gauging it.
    Trust that you're NOT the first person or client I've had this discussion with. What's been mentioned above about identifying how much your eating IS NOT a big deal, unless you make it one. Measure everything for a week. Just a week. If your weight changes, then you've likely identified what might have been the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They're all precut and then frozen. I buy them from the market that way. They measure it there. The only liquid I drink is water. I run on a treadmill so that information is tracked. 4mph for 30 minutes. Weights are simple to track as well. Anyway as I've said before Ive resolved the issue

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Also the I know my body comment was in response to someone telling me I hadn't hit a plateau when I know I have. I know I'm running a large deficit. I know I work out. I know I account for water weight. I've been on a weight loss journey for over a year now do I've learned a few things about myself. What's new to me is the effects of Ketosis. That's what I was asking about. But thank you for responding. Ive figured it out. Have a nice day
    I'll leave you some information to ponder.

Adaptive Thermogenesis.

People don't know their bodies better than what science researches. Again, not something I've haven't had to deal in the 30+ years of teaching others how to overcome obstacles, stall, deterrences, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I think you might have better luck on the low carb forum...

Here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

It's a group, so you'll have to join first...

The main forums aren't particularly keto oriented, and sometimes no one who is keto educated will be on the main forums at all. I think you've gotten good advice so far, but there may be some more detained stuff on that Group's forums.
  • CheersforWhit
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

How do you know they are 6 oz if you don't measure? How do you know you've drank the same amount of liquids everyday without measuring? How do you know the intensity of your exercise is exact every time? You can't just by gauging it.
    Trust that you're NOT the first person or client I've had this discussion with. What's been mentioned above about identifying how much your eating IS NOT a big deal, unless you make it one. Measure everything for a week. Just a week. If your weight changes, then you've likely identified what might have been the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They're all precut and then frozen. I buy them from the market that way. They measure it there. The only liquid I drink is water. I run on a treadmill so that information is tracked. 4mph for 30 minutes. Weights are simple to track as well. Anyway as I've said before Ive resolved the issue
    So you can drink more water than the day before. Or the day before that. Or less. Unless you're calibrating the treadmill weekly, especially in a gym, then the numbers can be off by quite a bit. They DON'T calibrate them even on a yearly basis which is why even on 2 exact machines, heart rate and calorie burn readings can be off by a lot.
    Again, trust that I KNOW what I'm talking about. I'm not one of the trainers in the gym who does cookie cutting workouts or lack the advanced knowledge needed to help people resolve harder issues.
    The whole point is are you WILLING to learn some information, or do you just want to HEAR what you want to hear?
    That doesn't go over well in life either or at the job. Keep trying to learn. There's no harm.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The machines are fine. I cross check the distance with my phone and Fitbit, they all read the same
  • CheersforWhit
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So you can drink more water than the day before. Or the day before that. Or less. Unless you're calibrating the treadmill weekly, especially in a gym, then the numbers can be off by quite a bit. They DON'T calibrate them even on a yearly basis which is why even on 2 exact machines, heart rate and calorie burn readings can be off by a lot.
    Again, trust that I KNOW what I'm talking about. I'm not one of the trainers in the gym who does cookie cutting workouts or lack the advanced knowledge needed to help people resolve harder issues.
    The whole point is are you WILLING to learn some information, or do you just want to HEAR what you want to hear?
    That doesn't go over well in life either or at the job. Keep trying to learn. There's no harm.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think you're trying to find some inconsistency in my habits for some reason. But anyway like I said before I'm fairly certain the issue is both Fiber a low calorie related. I do appreciate your help though.

• CheersforWhit
    Options
    Can't waste anymore time offering advice to someone that doesn't want it. Time to watch football now.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Have a good one!