Confused About Weight Loss Plateau

Options

Replies

• CheersforWhit
    CheersforWhit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think you might have better luck on the low carb forum...

Here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

It's a group, so you'll have to join first...

The main forums aren't particularly keto oriented, and sometimes no one who is keto educated will be on the main forums at all. I think you've gotten good advice so far, but there may be some more detained stuff on that Group's forums.

Thank you!!!
  • CheersforWhit
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I have been losing over a pound a week for 12 weeks so I consider it a plateau . If I'm running a calorie deficit and exercising I should be losing. I believe the issue is not enough fiber in my diet so I'm going to try that. Thanks anyway
    It's a stall though and not a plateau. A plateau would be 6 weeks or more of no weight movement if one was CONSISTENT (especially in calorie counts) with diet and exercise. If consistency was lost at anytime, then it wouldn't be a plateau. It is a stall, but usually by identifying certain things (calories taken in, rest, exercise) and making adjustments, it should resolve itself.
    I liken a stall and plateau to a stop sign and a red light stop . One is a quick stop, the other could keep you there awhile.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Im extremely consistent . I have a menu I eat every week. Breakfast Lunch and Dinner. As in I eat 2 pieces of 6oz baked fish every Monday with half a cup of broccoli. I am also very consistent with exercise.

Oh, so you DO eat vegetables then, unlike what you said before.

I would guess your non-weight loss is due to constipation you mentioned upthread - if you are basically only eating meat and cheese, I can see why you would be constipated.

My other guess is that you have lost enough weight that you need to adjust your calories down. It might just be helpful for you to weigh your foods for one day just to check yourself because just because something says it's 6 oz, doesn't mean it is.

But, you seem to know everything already and know more than the rest of us, so keep doing what you are doing if you think that's working for you.

Yeah I only said I know I'm running a calorie deficit and I know I'm in a plateau. Why that sparked such rigorous debate I don't know.
  • CheersforWhit
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I have been losing over a pound a week for 12 weeks so I consider it a plateau . If I'm running a calorie deficit and exercising I should be losing. I believe the issue is not enough fiber in my diet so I'm going to try that. Thanks anyway
    It's a stall though and not a plateau. A plateau would be 6 weeks or more of no weight movement if one was CONSISTENT (especially in calorie counts) with diet and exercise. If consistency was lost at anytime, then it wouldn't be a plateau. It is a stall, but usually by identifying certain things (calories taken in, rest, exercise) and making adjustments, it should resolve itself.
    I liken a stall and plateau to a stop sign and a red light stop . One is a quick stop, the other could keep you there awhile.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Im extremely consistent . I have a menu I eat every week. Breakfast Lunch and Dinner. As in I eat 2 pieces of 6oz baked fish every Monday with half a cup of broccoli. I am also very consistent with exercise.

Oh, so you DO eat vegetables then, unlike what you said before.

I would guess your non-weight loss is due to constipation you mentioned upthread - if you are basically only eating meat and cheese, I can see why you would be constipated.

My other guess is that you have lost enough weight that you need to adjust your calories down. It might just be helpful for you to weigh your foods for one day just to check yourself because just because something says it's 6 oz, doesn't mean it is.

But, you seem to know everything already and know more than the rest of us, so keep doing what you are doing if you think that's working for you.

Yeah I only said I know I'm running a calorie deficit and I know I'm in a plateau. Why that sparked such rigorous debate I don't know.

I can tell you why it sparked a debate - because in 99 out of a 100 cases, the answer to "why am I in a plateau" is "because you aren't weighing your food and you are eating more calories than you think you are, so you are not in a deficit."

Please don't take this personally - no one here knows you, they only know that your question is an FAQ and your story has all the hallmarks of a common situation which regular forum goes have seen ten thousand times already. Without measuring your food in some way, it's unclear how you could possibly know you are in a deficit, or even that you are eating the same thing every day - studies have found that obese people habitually underestimate the food they eat, and when they get hungry, they eat even more and estimate even more poorly. The brain is tricky.

You are also not in a plateau, which is defined on the FAQ as a failure to lose weight for three weeks or more.

My feeling is that since you aren't really in a plateau but have only been stuck for two weeks, you will soon be happily surprised by losing weight. I wish you the best and hope that you will consider that it's impossible to learn anything if you are sure you already know everything.

• CheersforWhit
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

How do you know they are 6 oz if you don't measure? How do you know you've drank the same amount of liquids everyday without measuring? How do you know the intensity of your exercise is exact every time? You can't just by gauging it.
    Trust that you're NOT the first person or client I've had this discussion with. What's been mentioned above about identifying how much your eating IS NOT a big deal, unless you make it one. Measure everything for a week. Just a week. If your weight changes, then you've likely identified what might have been the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They're all precut and then frozen. I buy them from the market that way. They measure it there. The only liquid I drink is water. I run on a treadmill so that information is tracked. 4mph for 30 minutes. Weights are simple to track as well. Anyway as I've said before Ive resolved the issue

Again, information you could have given pages ago...

Or you could have just trusted me mate.

Or you could have read any of the what? 3? 4? threads on plateaus in the stickied "must reads" lists. Or lurked the ten other threads on plateaus today. Instead you opted to get defensive and insult people trying to help you.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

How do you know they are 6 oz if you don't measure? How do you know you've drank the same amount of liquids everyday without measuring? How do you know the intensity of your exercise is exact every time? You can't just by gauging it.
    Trust that you're NOT the first person or client I've had this discussion with. What's been mentioned above about identifying how much your eating IS NOT a big deal, unless you make it one. Measure everything for a week. Just a week. If your weight changes, then you've likely identified what might have been the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They're all precut and then frozen. I buy them from the market that way. They measure it there. The only liquid I drink is water. I run on a treadmill so that information is tracked. 4mph for 30 minutes. Weights are simple to track as well. Anyway as I've said before Ive resolved the issue

Or you could have read any of the what? 3? 4? threads on plateaus in the stickied "must reads" lists. Or lurked the ten other threads on plateaus today. Instead you opted to get defensive and insult people trying to help you.

I didn't see a thread that involves Ketosis. Thanks for chiming in though.

• davidacorreia
    davidacorreia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've read for keto plateaus intermittent fasting helps. 20/4 is recommended. That is 20 hours fasting 4 hours eating
  • CheersforWhit
    Options
    I've read for keto plateaus intermittent fasting helps. 20/4 is recommended. That is 20 hours fasting 4 hours eating

Thank you!!!

• CheersforWhit
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

We were trying to help you. Again, lots of people vow and declare they know how many calories they're eating. They're not lying, they truly do believe that. In this instance, you do know, and you could have very easily said how you know. And it likely would have become apparent at that time, or soon there after, that you're stressing your body by undereating and probably have raised cortisol levels as a result.

You can either take this as a lesson in providing full and accurate information to the people who are giving their free time to help you, or you can continue to be angry about it (which isn't going to help those cortisol levels, fyi).

Nony I understand that but you can't go into a situation assuming the worst of people because you've had bad experiences with others. That's when unnecessary conflict arises.

We didn't assume the worst. We assumed something that is really, really common, that you could have knocked on the head from the outset by saying 'I know my calories because I work to a meal plan and everything is portioned out in the freezer already'. If we assumed that everyone who posts that they're not losing weight (which is several people a day) was actually being accurate with their calories just because they say they are, while they refuse to say how they know that, those people would be left spinning their wheels. The onus is on the person asking for help to provide the proper information.

Anyway, I'm glad that we have hopefully identified your problem. I also hope you take the advice of a maintenance break for a couple of weeks to let that cortisol level settle.

Alright Nony. We will have to agree to disagree on that. Have a good evening.