Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    hedwardsb wrote: »
    I have a similar problem. My goal weight looks good in my problem areas, belly and legs, but from my ribs up i end up looking emaciated , sickly and gaunt :confounded:

I know this is of no help to you, but i have given up getting down to that weight again, 5'8"/143lbs, I am however 45 years old, so i need that bit of extra padding on the top half of my body. I'm currently 150lbs and even with the flabby belly, this weight is going to have to be good enough!!

Christine_72, I'm about your age and facing the same issue. At 5'5" around 125 pounds right now, I'm happy with everything except my triceps and my stomach. However, I keep reading that even strength training while losing weight won't maintain muscle mass, so I don't think I want to lose the last 10-14 pounds that would make me happy with my tummy and triceps.

Wherever you read that is sort of false. Strength training and adequate protein will maintain muscle mass, especially if you don't create a very steep deficit. Technically there will probably be a little bit of muscle loss, but if you maintain all the above factors, you would never notice from a visible standpoint. Certainly not a reason to give up those last few pounds

OP,
    to get the look you want you are going to need some patience, a solid strength training program, and some cardio if that's your choice(recommend at least some). You don't have to avoid carbs or sugar, however, limiting calorie dense junk foods that could send you above maintenance is probably a good thing. And protein & vegetables are always good, but don't feel that you are severely limited in your choices. Lastly, please don't worry about looking like a body builder, that doesn't happen by accident, it takes a LOT of very hard work and discipline.

Right, it doesn't happen by accident, and it takes a lot of hard work. But I'm doing like three days per week of strength training and weights...and I see my thighs bulging already. Is three or four days "a lot?" How do I know what's a lot?

'Bulging'? Really? :huh:

Yes, like, when I tense that area, it bulges up...isn't that a sign of bulging?

Not the same thing. Muscles always look a little thicker when you tense them, since tensing them shortens them. Think about a rubber band: When it's stretched, it looks longer & thinner. In the reverse condition, it looks shorter but wider.

Anecdote: I get to know a lot of rowers in a strong NCAA division I program. I watched the Varsity's weight workout once. They were rolling out weight plates that I swear looked like freight-train wheels, and loading multiples of those for leg work. When you see them right after a race in the"pumped" post workout state, they look very muscle-y . . . maybe a way you'd prefer not to look, I dunno.

But here's the thing: I go to their end-of-season banquet. In their high heels and party dresses - often short, spaghetti-strap, rather minimalist confections - they look sleek, "toned", slim, elegant and beautiful. I can't speak for you, but most women would be overjoyed to look the way they look.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    hedwardsb wrote: »
    I have a similar problem. My goal weight looks good in my problem areas, belly and legs, but from my ribs up i end up looking emaciated , sickly and gaunt :confounded:

I know this is of no help to you, but i have given up getting down to that weight again, 5'8"/143lbs, I am however 45 years old, so i need that bit of extra padding on the top half of my body. I'm currently 150lbs and even with the flabby belly, this weight is going to have to be good enough!!

Christine_72, I'm about your age and facing the same issue. At 5'5" around 125 pounds right now, I'm happy with everything except my triceps and my stomach. However, I keep reading that even strength training while losing weight won't maintain muscle mass, so I don't think I want to lose the last 10-14 pounds that would make me happy with my tummy and triceps.

Wherever you read that is sort of false. Strength training and adequate protein will maintain muscle mass, especially if you don't create a very steep deficit. Technically there will probably be a little bit of muscle loss, but if you maintain all the above factors, you would never notice from a visible standpoint. Certainly not a reason to give up those last few pounds

OP,
    to get the look you want you are going to need some patience, a solid strength training program, and some cardio if that's your choice(recommend at least some). You don't have to avoid carbs or sugar, however, limiting calorie dense junk foods that could send you above maintenance is probably a good thing. And protein & vegetables are always good, but don't feel that you are severely limited in your choices. Lastly, please don't worry about looking like a body builder, that doesn't happen by accident, it takes a LOT of very hard work and discipline.

Right, it doesn't happen by accident, and it takes a lot of hard work. But I'm doing like three days per week of strength training and weights...and I see my thighs bulging already. Is three or four days "a lot?" How do I know what's a lot?

'Bulging'? Really? :huh:

Yes, like, when I tense that area, it bulges up...isn't that a sign of bulging?

Not the same thing. Muscles always look a little thicker when you tense them, since tensing them shortens them. Think about a rubber band: When it's stretched, it looks longer & thinner. In the reverse condition, it looks shorter but wider.

Anecdote: I get to know a lot of rowers in a strong NCAA division I program. I watched the Varsity's weight workout once. They were rolling out weight plates that I swear looked like freight-train wheels, and loading multiples of those for leg work. When you see them right after a race in the"pumped" post workout state, they look very muscle-y . . . maybe a way you'd prefer not to look, I dunno.

But here's the thing: I go to their end-of-season banquet. In their high heels and party dresses - often short, spaghetti-strap, rather minimalist confections - they look sleek, "toned", slim, elegant and beautiful. I can't speak for you, but most women would be overjoyed to look the way they look.

female rowers are right up there with female swimmers on the scale of physical perfection.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I'm only about half way to my goal weight, with about 30lb to go. I'm already getting comments like "when are you going to stop?" and "you look great as you are". While they are well meaning I find them highly offensive because I feel like they are trying to discourage me. I admit a big part of me just wants to call them out and tell them they are being offensive because a: they may not realise it and b: I really want them to shut up. its often the same people making the comments.

Moral of the story is ignore the comments (yep easier said than done sometimes) and concentrate on doing what YOU want to do.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I'm only about half way to my goal weight, with about 30lb to go. I'm already getting comments like "when are you going to stop?" and "you look great as you are". While they are well meaning I find them highly offensive because I feel like they are trying to discourage me. I admit a big part of me just wants to call them out and tell them they are being offensive because a: they may not realise it and b: I really want them to shut up. its often the same people making the comments.

Moral of the story is ignore the comments (yep easier said than done sometimes) and concentrate on doing what YOU want to do.

our own personal successes make those around us feel insecure.

just gotta

giphy.gif
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You need to lift. That'll tone and tighten everything up. And get rid of that bit of fat haning around.