Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think there is any nutritional advantage to eating organic foods to justify the higher cost?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Modern "factory" farming techniques have more than doubled the amount of food produced in the last 50 years, despite the energy and material inputs (seed, fertilizer, water, etc) being almost unchanged over the same time period.

DJyB9EsVoAABO9A.jpg

DJyCeJuVAAAh2SV.jpg

And look at us now. All fat.

yeah, it was much better when people were starving to death.

Um, people are starving to death today.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Modern "factory" farming techniques have more than doubled the amount of food produced in the last 50 years, despite the energy and material inputs (seed, fertilizer, water, etc) being almost unchanged over the same time period.

DJyB9EsVoAABO9A.jpg

DJyCeJuVAAAh2SV.jpg

What are you doing about it?
    I hate when people use this to argue why you shouldn't leave food on your plate, are you going to mail your food scraps overseas?
    Go give to a charity or food to a homeless person.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member

DJyB9EsVoAABO9A.jpg

DJyCeJuVAAAh2SV.jpg

I hate when people use this to argue why you shouldn't leave food on your plate, are you going to mail your food scraps overseas?

How do you know they don't?

I asked what are you doing about it, it's a question, yes insinuating they do nothing but open to be proven otherwise.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

DJyB9EsVoAABO9A.jpg

DJyCeJuVAAAh2SV.jpg

That's not what this post was about.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

DJyB9EsVoAABO9A.jpg

DJyCeJuVAAAh2SV.jpg

Is this going to turn into some kind of virtue signalling competition?
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    Modern food insecurity is an issue of poverty and ability to afford food that is available, not food scarcity. "Organic" farming does absolutely nothing about either of those, and in fact exacerbates both by making food both more expensive to produce AND more scarce.

Using the environment, sustainability, or even climate change to justify buying organic food is silly nonsense.

If you wanna buy organic food because you can afford it, and you think it tastes better, more power too you. But those are the beginning and end of the reasons to buy it. there's nothing "progressive" about the organic food industry.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Modern food insecurity is an issue of poverty and ability to afford food that is available, not food scarcity. "Organic" farming does absolutely nothing about either of those, and in fact exacerbates both by making food both more expensive to produce AND more scarce.

Using the environment, sustainability, or even climate change to justify buying organic food is silly nonsense.

If you wanna buy organic food because you can afford it, and you think it tastes better, more power too you. But those are the beginning and end of the reasons to buy it. there's nothing "progressive" about the organic food industry.

I can buy organic for any reason I choose. What are you gonna do about it?
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member

DJyB9EsVoAABO9A.jpg

DJyCeJuVAAAh2SV.jpg

How do you know they don't?

I asked what are you doing about it, it's a question, yes insinuating they do nothing but open to be proven otherwise.

It's an irrelevant question. The statements we've made about people starving today were response to a post that stated that "it was better when people were starving to death" ( intended with sarcasm). I know my response was merely to state that starvation is not a problem we've overcome and is firmly in the past, but still exists today. There is no need for anyone to prove they're doing anything about a fact they post.
  • MeanderingMammal
    I don't know if there is a nutritional advantage to buying organic versus conventional but I buy organic. I've never followed organic or conventional farmers for a season to see the difference in their farming practices or if they're laughing all the way to the bank. I buy organic for the same reasons I recycle,think fracking is a poor practice and would like the US to join the Paris agreement. It's because I don't just focus on the here and now or just think about the fifty cents extra I spent on an apple. I don't think I'm a tree hugger or a fool that's been parted from his money but I am trying to look at the bigger picture and support things that seem to benefit our planet. If it cuts my pesticide consumption all the better

Problem is, that growing organic often requires more resources for the same yield. So it's kinda the opposite of recycling. Same with non-GMO products. It's part of the reason they are priced higher.

They also use pesticides and insecticides.

I'm not sure that there's any suggestion that organic farming doesn't have some need for herbicides and insecticides. Some are certainly certified for compliant use here. The questions are around what the secondary effects of them are.

One of the biggest challenges for new entrants is that it can take 12-15 years to achieve certification, which makes it a fairly significant business decision.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member

everybody is entitled to whatever silly nonsense they chose. but your beliefs about a thing don't change the facts about that thing.
  • Need2Exerc1se

everybody is entitled to whatever silly nonsense they chose. but your beliefs about a thing don't change the facts about that thing.

And the fact is, I can buy what I want for any reason I want.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

DJyB9EsVoAABO9A.jpg

DJyCeJuVAAAh2SV.jpg

Was that a big problem 50 years ago?

I mean it's a problem in some areas still, but not so much in the US.

Closer to 80ish years ago. ;P
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Wow this thread has certianly spiraled significantly since I made it a couple of days ago. It would seem after scanning over many of the posts here that much of the attachment to organic stems from ideological or emotional reasons rather than practical or health related reasons. There is also some borderline conspiracy theory, but I will ignore that and instead suggest that this is not the Alex Jones forums.

There is also of course the issue of taste, which is the reason any of us eat food to begin with. While this is similarly subjective, I don't think many would dispute that a tomato from a framers market will beat out the grocery store any day of the week. The larger issue as it pertains to cost is not so much with produce but with the multitude of ready made products from places like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. and the army of pretentious clowns who line up for them. I would suggest that about 90% of such people purchase those products for the same reasons they buy designer handbags, listen to annoying indie pop, and pay 15 bucks for a Latte.

So, you claim you are above "emotional or ideological reasons" governing your food choices and yet in the same breath you say that people who do buy organic are an "army of pretentious clowns" and that "90% of such people purchase those [organic] products for the same reasons they buy designer handbags, listen to annoying indie pop, and pay 15 bucks for a Latte". Yeah....right...sorry but I think you've just made an emotionally unstable and definitely ideological attack on the sort of people you perceive to buy organic and have made zero comment about the practical or health related reasons associated with organic food production.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Wow this thread has certianly spiraled significantly since I made it a couple of days ago. It would seem after scanning over many of the posts here that much of the attachment to organic stems from ideological or emotional reasons rather than practical or health related reasons. There is also some borderline conspiracy theory, but I will ignore that and instead suggest that this is not the Alex Jones forums.

There is also of course the issue of taste, which is the reason any of us eat food to begin with. While this is similarly subjective, I don't think many would dispute that a tomato from a framers market will beat out the grocery store any day of the week. The larger issue as it pertains to cost is not so much with produce but with the multitude of ready made products from places like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. and the army of pretentious clowns who line up for them. I would suggest that about 90% of such people purchase those products for the same reasons they buy designer handbags, listen to annoying indie pop, and pay 15 bucks for a Latte.

Just so you know, Trader Joe's is pretty inexpensive, so shopping there isn't pretentious. We go there to save money on some products.

Saying that I have on occasion bought organic, and that's when it's looked fresher than the alternative when I've been shopping for that particular item. This happens a lot when I'm shopping for bananas. The organics are more ripe and ready to eat and I want one that day or something like that.

I've bought organic salad mix if it's the one that's on sale that week.

I really don't have a horse in this race, just wanted to make a comment about Trader Joe's and their prices. The coffee is cheap, yo.
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    The higher cost is a product of supply and demand.

But yes definitely nutritional advantage and health benefits to eating organic foods.

Whether you justify the cost is a personal choice...
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Anything non-natural causes problems. Particularly when introduced directly into our bodies. As citizens we need to doubt the veracity of government bodies who are heavily lobbied by industry. The evidence of the past 50 years including the increase in obesity points to a flawed system.

People shouldn't be afraid to question dictats from people in power with conflicted interests.
  • MeanderingMammal
    wolfruhn wrote: »
    Anything non-natural causes problems.

What do you mean by that?