military diet

2»

Replies

• maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Jdlobb I haven't looked ones at one in a long time, I think I still have one in the back of my pantry though I'll see how many calories it has. I just remember being glad it was enough calories for the whole day and laughing every time anyone lost weight on a "military diet".
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Jdlobb I haven't looked ones at one in a long time, I think I still have one in the back of my pantry though I'll see how many calories it has. I just remember being glad it was enough calories for the whole day and laughing every time anyone lost weight on a "military diet".

MREs have never had a full day's worth of calories. This has always been the military equivalent of a "wive's tale" that I never understood why people repeated, when they could just read the package they were holding WHILE they were repeating it. They're engineered so that 2 a day provides all the calories you need to sustain yourself, with an optional 3rd a day if you're deployed above a certain altitude or in a cold climate.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    As much as I love hot dogs and ice cream, no.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Yep that's the story, but my ex husbands 5 deployments to both Iraq and Afghanistan they were lucky to get one on lots of days and told to "embrace the suck". "Drink water drive on" and so forth. Interestingly enough the number of calories you just quoted is my allotment for today so I could in fact subside on one MRE a day. Sorry to have made you defensive I wasn't trying to one up you on your military knowledge, ''twas only making an off the cuff joke about low calorie military diets ;)
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    It's just a pet peeve of mine. I've heard the 3500 calorie myth since basic training, it's always bugged me how persistent it was, considering that it's literally right there on the label. And yeah, I've been there, in the desert, with 1 MRE a day. Fortunately never for very long, perks of being in the Air Force.