Double overhand grip gave away during deadlifting

Options
13»

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Chalk was the ticket for me. I had started mixed grip at around 250 because the bar would slip. After getting to 275 a guy recommended chalk. Completely changed everything. Now at 315 about ready to re-try the hook grip after immediately going back to overhand when I introduced chalk. I can definitely say that chalk allowed me to keep overhand for much longer.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    Tried 200lbs again. Hook grip - 1 rep and I knew it isn't for me lol.

I squeezed the bar like a mofo and this time it didn't even fall to my fingers for any of the 5 reps. So I'm good till 220 I think.

You can't decide on a hook grip after one rep...or even one set. If that was the case, no one would ever use it. It's not comfortable, especially the 1st few times. But once you get used to it, it fine and you'll never wonder how you got along without it.

I second this. Hook grip took me MONTHS of consistent use (everyday) to get used to it. I hated it so much but it's kind of critical for Oly lifting. I honestly never pick up a barbell without it now and wonder how I ever did thats how much more secure it feels once you really get used to it. I will note I still go mixed grip for max attempt singles deadlifts or high volume heavy deadlifts (>5reps over approximately 85%)
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get to grips (literally!) with hook at the moment...
    How long before it stops feeling like you're going to dislocate your thumbs?!

I guess I'm heading in the right direction... warm up sets are fully hook grip now, and I try and get through 2 or 3 reps in my main sets before giving up, but the stretchy thumb feeling freaks me out.
  • gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Hook grip hurts too much, so I use mixed grip. To avoid imbalances I switch which hand is over/under. My best deadlift is 565lbs and I haven't had any bicep issue. The issue is caused by trying to curl the bar.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    Tried 200lbs again. Hook grip - 1 rep and I knew it isn't for me lol.

I squeezed the bar like a mofo and this time it didn't even fall to my fingers for any of the 5 reps. So I'm good till 220 I think.

You can't decide on a hook grip after one rep...or even one set. If that was the case, no one would ever use it. It's not comfortable, especially the 1st few times. But once you get used to it, it fine and you'll never wonder how you got along without it.

I second this. Hook grip took me MONTHS of consistent use (everyday) to get used to it. I hated it so much but it's kind of critical for Oly lifting. I honestly never pick up a barbell without it now and wonder how I ever did thats how much more secure it feels once you really get used to it. I will note I still go mixed grip for max attempt singles deadlifts or high volume heavy deadlifts (>5reps over approximately 85%)

Had my thumb skin ripped off when we got a new bar was pretty metal though. Shins bleeding , hands bleeding, pr's set.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I have been working with mixed grip. Like I said before, at about 285lbs my "normal" grip starts to fail me. I continue to work on that, though. And, switching hands - when doing the mixed grip - seems to be a good idea. It does feel really weird, though! I guess that is normal. I mean, one way feels so natural and the other way feels just wrong. Anyway, have not messed with hook grip since I tried one time. Having my thumbs chopped off at the knuckle would feel better. LOL! But, I am sure that it is a matter of getting comfortable - like everything else. Gonna stick with working on my grip strength and mixed grip. Anyway, not trying to hijack this post. And, the Man from Montreal is dead on correct! I am just not at that point (yet - I am too stubborn to accept that my grip strength is not there!)