Low calories or low carbs..what worked better for you?

Options

Replies

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Low calorie diet is the only thing that matters. Going low carb can help make low calorie more sustainable, because you usually feel full longer on protein and fats, although of course fiber (a carb) helps with that as well.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Carbs are your energy calories. I do much better on a balanced protein/carb plan. Remember that even veggies have carbs - some many more than others.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I didn't do either...I cut calories which is the only way to lose weight...but I wasn't "low calorie"...I maintained a reasonable calorie deficit.

Low carb works in the same way that any diet works...you reduce calories. For many, going low carb will simply default to a calorie deficit because you are substantially restricting an entire macronutrient.

When I cut weight I tend to cut back on carbs but that's only because my protein and fat remain pretty consistent whether I'm maintaining or losing weight...but I wouldn't say I'm "low carb" when I cut...I just reduce them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Low calories? Nope - a small calorie deficit worked best for me.
    Low carbs? Hell no, that would be horribly restrictive for no good reason for me.
  • esmerelda9479
    esmerelda9479 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find I lose most when I eat lots of healthy carbs and protein. I know some people can eat 1200 calories worth of candy and fast food and lose weight. Not me. I'd rather get my fat from an avocado and have more energy. To each their own though.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Reasonable deficit and definitely not low carb.

I low carbed many years ago, thinking that all I had to do was count carbs and not calories. I lost weight, but only to a certain point, and that point had me still 15 pounds overweight.

I became discouraged and eventually started gaining weight, and gave up low carbing to try something else.

Learning about calories and how to keep a calorie deficit is the only thing that has worked for me.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    low carb doesnt = weight loss....so if you mean to lose weight....calorie deficit :/ I eat very high carb and lose fine. Never understood keto, fruits and vegetables are carbs and very good for you lol
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    low carb doesnt = weight loss....so if you mean to lose weight....calorie deficit :/ I eat very high carb and lose fine. Never understood keto, fruits and vegetables are carbs and very good for you lol

Keto doesn't eliminate veggies and all fruit FYI
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Keto doesn't eliminate veggies and all fruit FYI

good majority of them
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    NOT eating aka fasting is keto. It's also known as starvation. Which is also a calorie restriction in the extreme sense. Calorie restriction, ranging from nothing (fasting) to below energy balance (deficit) leads to burning of stored body fat. Ketones are a byproduct of fat oxidation. Calorie deficits produce some measurable amount of ketones, so it's keto by definition.

Calorie deficit = keto. Want a higher number of measurable ketones? Eat less.

Not really.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/180858.php

"Some people encourage ketosis by following a diet called the ketogenic or low-carb diet. The aim of the diet is to try and burn unwanted fat by forcing the body to rely on fat for energy, rather than carbohydrates."

Keto dieters aren't starving themselves but trying to force their bodies to rely on fat as a fuel source. All keto eaters I know still hit their daily calories
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Low calories, which is made easier by limiting carbs (for me, individual results may vary)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    NOT eating aka fasting is keto. It's also known as starvation. Which is also a calorie restriction in the extreme sense. Calorie restriction, ranging from nothing (fasting) to below energy balance (deficit) leads to burning of stored body fat. Ketones are a byproduct of fat oxidation. Calorie deficits produce some measurable amount of ketones, so it's keto by definition.

Calorie deficit = keto. Want a higher number of measurable ketones? Eat less.

Not really.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/180858.php

"Some people encourage ketosis by following a diet called the ketogenic or low-carb diet. The aim of the diet is to try and burn unwanted fat by forcing the body to rely on fat for energy, rather than carbohydrates."

Keto dieters aren't starving themselves but trying to force their bodies to rely on fat as a fuel source. All keto eaters I know still hit their daily calories

I'm familiar with ketosis. I practice it. Though, in the practice of fat loss, calories will always dictate whether you're actually burning stored body fat or just adding more to it. It's not magic.

By removing carbs, you remove the competing substrate for cellular energy and allow free fatty acids to take the place of what glucose does for tissue function. Don't mistake substituting a fuel source for actual fat burning and therefore, fat loss.

Simplistic example, let's just assume I have a hybrid car that allows for electricity and diesel. Electricity will be fatty acids and diesel will be glucose. Just because I don't have to refuel with diesel, doesn't make electricity any more efficient to drive around the street. It just means I use less diesel. The same steady output to drive around the city is the same regardless.

Keto dieters can hit their daily intake of calories and if they're at a deficit, they will lose body fat. If they eat at maintenance, their net energy stores are in balance. If they eat at a surplus, they will store energy in the form of fat.

Again, not magic. It's thermodynamics. Low carb creates a deficit if you were to keep the other 2 macros the same simply because you're not eating that many calories worth of high carbs.