Low calories or low carbs..what worked better for you?

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ianisha wrote: »
    No, they eat huge steaks, lots of cheese and butter

Cutting carbs does cut calories and help create a calrie deficit. Also, many people find they are less hungry the fewer carbs they have. That is definitely true for me.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    NOT eating aka fasting is keto. It's also known as starvation. Which is also a calorie restriction in the extreme sense. Calorie restriction, ranging from nothing (fasting) to below energy balance (deficit) leads to burning of stored body fat. Ketones are a byproduct of fat oxidation. Calorie deficits produce some measurable amount of ketones, so it's keto by definition.

Calorie deficit = keto. Want a higher number of measurable ketones? Eat less.

Not really.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/180858.php

"Some people encourage ketosis by following a diet called the ketogenic or low-carb diet. The aim of the diet is to try and burn unwanted fat by forcing the body to rely on fat for energy, rather than carbohydrates."

Keto dieters aren't starving themselves but trying to force their bodies to rely on fat as a fuel source. All keto eaters I know still hit their daily calories

I'm familiar with ketosis. I practice it. Though, in the practice of fat loss, calories will always dictate whether you're actually burning stored body fat or just adding more to it. It's not magic.

By removing carbs, you remove the competing substrate for cellular energy and allow free fatty acids to take the place of what glucose does for tissue function. Don't mistake substituting a fuel source for actual fat burning and therefore, fat loss.

Simplistic example, let's just assume I have a hybrid car that allows for electricity and diesel. Electricity will be fatty acids and diesel will be glucose. Just because I don't have to refuel with diesel, doesn't make electricity any more efficient to drive around the street. It just means I use less diesel. The same steady output to drive around the city is the same regardless.

Keto dieters can hit their daily intake of calories and if they're at a deficit, they will lose body fat. If they eat at maintenance, their net energy stores are in balance. If they eat at a surplus, they will store energy in the form of fat.

Again, not magic. It's thermodynamics. Low carb creates a deficit if you were to keep the other 2 macros the same simply because you're not eating that many calories worth of high carbs.

I responded to your statement comparing keto to fasting. I agree with your responding statement quotes here and stand by my statement that keto does not mean fasting or starving as stated in the comment I responded to
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    NOT eating aka fasting is keto. It's also known as starvation. Which is also a calorie restriction in the extreme sense. Calorie restriction, ranging from nothing (fasting) to below energy balance (deficit) leads to burning of stored body fat. Ketones are a byproduct of fat oxidation. Calorie deficits produce some measurable amount of ketones, so it's keto by definition.

Not really.

"Some people encourage ketosis by following a diet called the ketogenic or low-carb diet. The aim of the diet is to try and burn unwanted fat by forcing the body to rely on fat for energy, rather than carbohydrates."

Keto dieters aren't starving themselves but trying to force their bodies to rely on fat as a fuel source. All keto eaters I know still hit their daily calories

I'm familiar with ketosis. I practice it. Though, in the practice of fat loss, calories will always dictate whether you're actually burning stored body fat or just adding more to it. It's not magic.

By removing carbs, you remove the competing substrate for cellular energy and allow free fatty acids to take the place of what glucose does for tissue function. Don't mistake substituting a fuel source for actual fat burning and therefore, fat loss.

Simplistic example, let's just assume I have a hybrid car that allows for electricity and diesel. Electricity will be fatty acids and diesel will be glucose. Just because I don't have to refuel with diesel, doesn't make electricity any more efficient to drive around the street. It just means I use less diesel. The same steady output to drive around the city is the same regardless.

Keto dieters can hit their daily intake of calories and if they're at a deficit, they will lose body fat. If they eat at maintenance, their net energy stores are in balance. If they eat at a surplus, they will store energy in the form of fat.

Again, not magic. It's thermodynamics. Low carb creates a deficit if you were to keep the other 2 macros the same simply because you're not eating that many calories worth of high carbs.

I responded to your statement comparing keto to fasting. I agree with your responding statement quotes here and stand by my statement that keto does not mean fasting or starving as stated in the comment I responded to

I appreciate that. There's a bit of disconnect from the quote of the diet's aim to "try and burn unwanted fat by forcing the body to rely on fat for energy" and eating enough so that people are hitting their daily calories [unspecified whether it's a deficit, maintenance, or surplus].

You're correct, keto doesn't mean anyone needs to be fasting or starving, but my point was fasting/starving *is* ketotic by nature. Without any outside source incoming energy, the body will be forced to rely on energy stores for fuel. It's a survival trait, which is what a keto diet is mimicking.

Any diet that imposes a calorie restriction (regardless of the macro composition) is a form of starvation in a very loose sense of the word, and therefore, I was making a connection that in order to force the body to pull from its own stored energy, it must be in a state of energy deficit.

What creates ketones is the ratio of acetyl-coA to oxaloacetate. If oxaloacetate is reduced, acetyl-coA will build up a production of ketone bodies. The liver can use protein and fat substrate conversion, but carbs are the just easiest source to farm oxaloacetate and keep the citric acid cycle going. To that extent, it means nothing if you eat in excess and produce an appreciable amount of ketones from a large influx of dietary fat. See Jimmy Moore.

Again, for actual fat loss, the net energy balance must create a deficit. Keto or not keto doesn't matter.
  • SCoil123
    Options

Not really.

I appreciate that. There's a bit of disconnect from the quote of the diet's aim to "try and burn unwanted fat by forcing the body to rely on fat for energy" and eating enough so that people are hitting their daily calories [unspecified whether it's a deficit, maintenance, or surplus].

You're correct, keto doesn't mean anyone needs to be fasting or starving, but my point was fasting/starving *is* ketotic by nature. Without any outside source incoming energy, the body will be forced to rely on energy stores for fuel. It's a survival trait, which is what a keto diet is mimicking.

Any diet that imposes a calorie restriction (regardless of the macro composition) is a form of starvation in a very loose sense of the word, and therefore, I was making a connection that in order to force the body to pull from its own stored energy, it must be in a state of energy deficit.

What creates ketones is the ratio of acetyl-coA to oxaloacetate. If oxaloacetate is reduced, acetyl-coA will build up a production of ketone bodies. The liver can use protein and fat substrate conversion, but carbs are the just easiest source to farm oxaloacetate and keep the citric acid cycle going. To that extent, it means nothing if you eat in excess and produce an appreciable amount of ketones from a large influx of dietary fat. See Jimmy Moore.

Again, for actual fat loss, the net energy balance must create a deficit. Keto or not keto doesn't matter.

I never said anything to the effect that a deficit isn't needed for weight loss. I simply responded to the statement that keto and fasting are the same thing is incorrect.

A lot of people on this site have negative ideas that keto means no veggies or starving yourself. That isn't the truth. My only goal is to make sure they know that.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Not really.

I never said anything to the effect that a deficit isn't needed for weight loss. I simply responded to the statement that keto and fasting are the same thing is incorrect.

A lot of people on this site have negative ideas that keto means no veggies or starving yourself. That isn't the truth. My only goal is to make sure they know that.

Nor did I say that “keto = fasting.” I said that fasting is ketotic by nature. Much like “a dollar = currency, but currency =/= dollars.” So you’ve succeeded in your goal. I’m actually not fully responding directly to you, though I address your quote as a segue into my points.

I can’t speak for others, but my negative view of keto comes from zealots who promote keto or low carb as the *only* way to burn fat, reverse diabetes, cure cancer, disregard calories, or eat obscene amounts of fat without consequence. And my goal is to negate any of those common misconceptions in a general statement.
  • SCoil123
    edited September 2017
    Options
    NOT eating aka fasting is keto. It's also known as starvation. Which is also a calorie restriction in the extreme sense..

This says "fasting is keto". You did say that. And that is what I responded to as false information.

I will take the fact that you now say you didn't make that claim that you must have mistyped and didn't mean it as it read.

I'm not keto either. I love my dried fruit too much for that. I do think it works great for some though. I personally feel best at around 100g net carbs and my only food eliminations are based around allergies. It's important that everyone find what works for them. And again, I am just bothered by all of the and keto posts about how it eliminates veggies 100% or you have to starve yourself on that plan. Without accurate info the people it could work for might not find it.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I feel best eating lower calorie- eat roughly 100-125 grams carbs- whole food diet- seldom eat real junk food- balance, nutrition, and variety is my preference. Eating around 100 grams of carbs gives me more variety and also seems to keep sugar cravings under better control.
  • dtmpofu
    dtmpofu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit. Lost over 20 kg. Plus work out 5/6 times a week.

Lost 20kg After how long?
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    NOT eating aka fasting is keto. It's also known as starvation. Which is also a calorie restriction in the extreme sense..

This says "fasting is keto". You did say that. And that is what I responded to as false information.

I will take the fact that you now say you didn't make that claim that you must have mistyped and didn't mean it as it read.

I'm not keto either. I love my dried fruit too much for that. I do think it works great for some though. I personally feel best at around 100g net carbs and my only food eliminations are based around allergies. It's important that everyone find what works for them. And again, I am just bothered by all of the and keto posts about how it eliminates veggies 100% or you have to starve yourself on that plan. Without accurate info the people it could work for might not find it.

Just a quick observation. I find that you mention the spreading of misinformation about what constitutes Keto interesting. Not that this does not happen, but let's get real here; can you name me another subset of the dieting and fitness world that routinely spews more rank nonsense than the Keto crowd? I can't think of any offhand. This makes it far more difficult for many people to take them seriously, and even more difficult to have much pity for people mischaracterizing their plans.
  • SCoil123
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »

Just a quick observation. I find that you mention the spreading of misinformation about what constitutes Keto interesting. Not that this does not happen, but let's get real here; can you name me another subset of the dieting and fitness world that routinely spews more rank nonsense than the Keto crowd? I can't think of any offhand. This makes it far more difficult for many people to take them seriously, and even more difficult to have much pity for people mischaracterizing their plans.

I'm not keto. I do think most of the misinformation though comes from people jumping on it like a fad without understanding or researching what it is.

My whole point was to end some of the misinformation. How would judging someone rather than spreading correct information help anything?
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »

I'm not keto. I do think most of the misinformation though comes from people jumping on it like a fad without understanding or researching what it is.

My whole point was to end some of the misinformation. How would judging someone rather than spreading correct information help anything?

I was not referencing you specifically, just making a general observation. My point being that groups and individuals who routinely spread false information are not often afforded much courtesy when they claim to be misunderstood.

As an example, take some wackaloon who claims 911 was an inside job, global warming is a myth, aliens are being held by the government, etc. Is it possible that such a person might be incredibly bright and able to offer some insightful commentary on a wide range of topics? Perhaps, but they will have a much more difficult time getting people to listen because their credibility is crippled from the onset.

The beginning of this very thread did not exactly start off on the right foot now did it?
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Well, carbs are 50-65% of my daily intake on any given day so I definitely am NOT low carb. I eat whatever suits me and is within my very reasonable calorie goals for weight loss - a deficit but also not particularly low cal because I eat quite a lot compared to others my height.

I eat at whatever macro level feels right to me that day. I tend toward mostly protein and plants some days, and other days is more carb heavy. Nothing is cut from my diet because I intend to do this forever and I don't believe in omitting anything (except bananas, those things are evil) because then I don't have to relearn any eating habits.
  • rosyone1
    rosyone1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm watching calories and carbs, the latter because a 30 to 50g a day carb diet suppresses and stabilizes my appetite and makes it easier to stay within my calorie budget. I only plan to stay on it a few weeks, though, before I start working up to a moderate carb level that will be more sustainable. When I did this before I reached my goal weight and managed to maintain for 4 years before I slipped off the wagon. I'm not eating steaks, by the way, and rarely more than one or two standard servings of cheese or butter a day.