13»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Thank you for all your advice, I know that I need to eat more and am trying to work on it! I do not think I need to see anybody, as I am perfectly sound minded and nowhere near being underweight or anything like that.

Really appreciate all the input xx

is there a reason you choose to fast?

I used to fast without even realizing it and then one day I heard of IF did more research about it. I have it a shot and I find I feel way more energetic in a prolonged fasted state :)

Interesting comment when you admitted in the thread that I linked that your fasted due to an unhealthy relationship with food?

Admittedly it was both. However I do not find that I struggle with the emotional side of it anymore. I don't feel guilty for eating or any negative feelings towards food. I merely find that I feel uncomfortable and more sluggish when I eat often

How do you feel about the fact you're massively undereating at the moment?

I don't really think about it much, I guess I don't care but I know it's affecting my progress so that does challenge me a bit.

I am trying to incorporate higher calorie foods into my diet, sometimes it just messes with my macros but I guess it's not the end of the world

When you don't provide your body with enough fuel to do the stuff it needs to do every day, and you are already fairly lean, your body will get some of that needed energy by going after your muscle tissue. So not only will you not build muscle, you will actually lose some. One of your most important muscles is your heart BTW. Your body will also to save energy stop doing non-essential stuff, like growing your hair and repairing tired cells.

The concern is that as noted earlier, you were struggling with this back in February. Six + months of under-eating is not just a little blip! Please take care of yourself :):flowerforyou:

Are you saying your heart will shrink if you eat too little?

The heart is a muscle too. Prolonged under eating can cause the heart walls to thin and weaken and chambers enlarge. Heart function will decline and seriously, your heart can fail, not to say OP is at risk quite yet, I see she has been under eating at least 6 months+..
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice, I know that I need to eat more and am trying to work on it! I do not think I need to see anybody, as I am perfectly sound minded and nowhere near being underweight or anything like that.

I used to fast without even realizing it and then one day I heard of IF did more research about it. I have it a shot and I find I feel way more energetic in a prolonged fasted state :)

An interesting statement, and if you weren't undereating so drastically it would probably not be as notable. However, since you are limiting yourself to so few calories on a daily basis, this does jump out as somewhat disordered--you're in it for the thrill, even if you have to go without eating to get it. You should probably seek some help...
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

An interesting statement, and if you weren't undereating so drastically it would probably not be as notable. However, since you are limiting yourself to so few calories on a daily basis, this does jump out as somewhat disordered--you're in it for the thrill, even if you have to go without eating to get it. You should probably seek some help...

As a long time intermittent faster I will say I myself enjoy the fasted state because I do indeed feel more energy and my mind feels sharper and more clear while fasted. The energy she speaks can be a normal side effect of fasting. I do not however condone how she has been dieting and fasting. I IF but I make sure to get all of my calories and nutrients, no matter what you gotta fuel the machine.

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

As a long time intermittent faster I will say I myself enjoy the fasted state because I do indeed feel more energy and my mind feels sharper and more clear while fasted. The energy she speaks can be a normal side effect of fasting. I do not however condone how she has been dieting and fasting. I IF but I make sure to get all of my calories and nutrients, no matter what you gotta fuel the machine.

And it may be entirely true for IF; it's just that in combination with chronic under-eating, and a denial of that fact, that it starts to sound disordered.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Interesting comment when you admitted in the thread that I linked that your fasted due to an unhealthy relationship with food?

Admittedly it was both. However I do not find that I struggle with the emotional side of it anymore. I don't feel guilty for eating or any negative feelings towards food. I merely find that I feel uncomfortable and more sluggish when I eat often

I don't really think about it much, I guess I don't care but I know it's affecting my progress so that does challenge me a bit.

I am trying to incorporate higher calorie foods into my diet, sometimes it just messes with my macros but I guess it's not the end of the world

When you don't provide your body with enough fuel to do the stuff it needs to do every day, and you are already fairly lean, your body will get some of that needed energy by going after your muscle tissue. So not only will you not build muscle, you will actually lose some. One of your most important muscles is your heart BTW. Your body will also to save energy stop doing non-essential stuff, like growing your hair and repairing tired cells.

The concern is that as noted earlier, you were struggling with this back in February. Six + months of under-eating is not just a little blip! Please take care of yourself :):flowerforyou:

Sort of? Obviously I'm talking about over a period of time, not occasionally fasting.

"Heart , Circulation and Temperature: The heart is a muscle which can be eroded by extreme under-eating and thus becomes weaker. Blood pressure may fall to dangerous levels and pulse rate slows up. Sluggish circulation can lead to ulcers on the legs and feelings of extreme cold. But the most worrying effect of a weakened heart would be if arrhythmia occurred (irregular beating)."

http://eating-disorders.org.uk/information/the-effects-of-under-eating/
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options

And it may be entirely true for IF; it's just that in combination with chronic under-eating, and a denial of that fact, that it starts to sound disordered.

There was a time of my life when I would say that I was very irresponsible when it came to my health but I feel like I am definitely not experiencing disordered eating. I appreciate the concern, however I can safely say I am not in danger of an eating disorder :)
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Sort of? Obviously I'm talking about over a period of time, not occasionally fasting.

"Heart , Circulation and Temperature: The heart is a muscle which can be eroded by extreme under-eating and thus becomes weaker. Blood pressure may fall to dangerous levels and pulse rate slows up. Sluggish circulation can lead to ulcers on the legs and feelings of extreme cold. But the most worrying effect of a weakened heart would be if arrhythmia occurred (irregular beating)."

Thank you for the link, it explains so much. A few weeks ago I was getting really numb and tingly sensations in my legs and arms, even when I was moving and keeping the blood flow going. This has opened my eyes so much xx
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Thank you for the link, it explains so much. A few weeks ago I was getting really numb and tingly sensations in my legs and arms, even when I was moving and keeping the blood flow going. This has opened my eyes so much xx

So have you made an effort to eat more since getting some good advice in this thread?
  • joelucky777
    joelucky777 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ive been IF for a while, on an off, im trying to gain muscle, and cut fat. It seems like its completely safe if your consuming enough during the eating periods. I also feel better overall, I think the body has more time to process foods like carbs better. Im also drinking alot of water which I know helps. It can be pretty hard to get enough protein though for muscle gain/maintain muscle. I have been trying for .5 grams per 1 pound of body weight. And I have seen some gains while fasting. But its tough to meet that number every day in 8 hours even with protein shakes and a few good sized meals.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Have you done your BMR ? 500 , 700 calories is low. I know your vegan and would have to eat a lot of veg to reach your calorie goal and the food is likely rich in nutrients. I always get full and i would get bloated when eating lots of veg sometimes i feel i put on weight when i eat to much veg. Pasta and rice is how i topped my cals and i needed the carbs for training beetroot you must try if not already.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Two year old thread....