Do you believe it is ALL just CICO?

Options

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Look up the Twinkie diet. In my opinion yes it is all about calories in and calories out.

One guy doing a Twinkie diet is not a study. Just like one guy losing weight on keto is not a study.

Who claimed it was a study?

I don't believe this stuff below for a second. Losing 27 lbs. in two months (from 201 to 174) on an 1,800 calorie diet? Complete BS. If it were that easy, we wouldn't have any "can't lose weight" posts on this site.

And a little research shows that Haub was on Coca Cola's payroll. And he did an an unsupervised, unverified study, and claims to lose weight eating Twinkies.

"For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.

I don't think it's "complete BS" that a guy could lose 27 pounds on an 1,800 calorie diet of anything. I don't know his activity level, that could be a pretty big deficit for him. Keep in mind that 1,500 is a minimum for most men, so 1,800 isn't really that much. I'm a small woman and I maintain on about 2,220 calories a day.

If memory serves, he did also supplement with some protein sources (so not quite 100% snack cakes).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Look up the Twinkie diet. In my opinion yes it is all about calories in and calories out.

One guy doing a Twinkie diet is not a study. Just like one guy losing weight on keto is not a study.

Who claimed it was a study?

I don't believe this stuff below for a second. Losing 27 lbs. in two months (from 201 to 174) on an 1,800 calorie diet? Complete BS. If it were that easy, we wouldn't have any "can't lose weight" posts on this site.

And a little research shows that Haub was on Coca Cola's payroll. And he did an an unsupervised, unverified study, and claims to lose weight eating Twinkies.

"For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.

I don't think it's "complete BS" that a guy could lose 27 pounds on an 1,800 calorie diet of anything. I don't know his activity level, that could be a pretty big deficit for him. Keep in mind that 1,500 is a minimum for most men, so 1,800 isn't really that much. I'm a small woman and I maintain on about 2,220 calories a day.

Yes. A man who isn't a couch potato will likely be in a decent-sized deficit at 1800.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    No though it is a big part. Unfortunately nutrition and metabolism also play large roles. You calories consumed get turned into glucose for fuel but you need other nutrients in the process of burning that fuel. Also the body adapts so your metabolism changes to match your calorie intake which causes stalls and rapid weight gain once you go off diet. The simple calorie out part gets complicated by metabolic changes. Just my two cents though.

First, there aren't huge changes in metabolism. And second, if there are changes in metabolism, you have a change in your CO, which means that your deficit will be less unless you adjust your CI. Ironically, my maintenance levels have maintained at 3000 calories the entire time I lost weight and have continued in maintenance over the last 5 years. Now how is that possible, because my intensity during exercise (TEA) and daily movements (NEAT) have increased.

It's all about energy balance. Adjustments in CO can and may occur. Inaccuracies in CI are highly likely considering professionally trained people can be off by 400 calories. Neither disprove CICO.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/95/4/989
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Weight yes, health and muscles no.