sugar my problem

Options
124»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Guys, lets try to get back on topic. If people want to discuss the plausibility of sugar or fat addiction in humans, please use the below 21 page thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226257/food-addiction-a-different-perspective/p1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    faramelee wrote: »
    Soooo.... I never did get an answer :(

Are all of these health benefits due to cutting out sugar or can some be attributed to eating a more nutritious diet?

Most of the health benefits are attributable to eat a better overall diet. I still eat sugar...I don't eat a ton of it...but I just finished a mini Kit-Kat a few minutes ago. I also had a lentil stew with sweet Italian sausage, potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms and onions for breakfast. For lunch I had a couple hundred grams of a mixed vegetable saute and some grilled chicken and quinoa. For dinner tonight I'm making a green chile stew (New Mexico thing).

My diet overall is on point and consists of a lot of whole food nutrition and I've improved my health markers significantly with a better diet and regular exercise...a Kit-Kat really has no bearing on my health...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I actually think this thread was an accident and OP was trying to respond to the earlier thread with that title.

In case I'm wrong, OP, did you have a question or want opinions?

I'd personally find fruit a much more satisfying source of sweetness than a bit of honey, but people are different.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    faramelee wrote: »
    Soooo.... I never did get an answer :(

Are all of these health benefits due to cutting out sugar or can some be attributed to eating a more nutritious diet?

Some health benefits can be attributed to just cutting sugar. Others result from a more nutritious diet. I think most dieters that remove sugar will usually replace it with a more nutritious food - most foods are more nutritious than sugar, even if they only facilitate hormones and vitamins like a fat would.

And many times, the impetus for cutting out or restricting added sugars is related to weight loss - as a person loses weight due to the calorie reduction, they often experience health benefits simply from losing weight. As has been discussed several times on these threads - just losing the weight, without any dietary changes or specific focus on cutting out a particular food/ingredient - often results in improvement in health markers.

So while cutting back on added sugar and replacing it with more nutrient dense foods is something that would benefit many who are consuming a diet high in added sugar, I don't believe it would have a direct and noticeable impact for people who consume added sugar in moderation as part of an otherwise balanced calorie appropriate diet.

True. Weight loss will generally improve a person's health.

For those which keto is medically well suited for like those with insulin resistance, high cholesterol, hormonal imbalances or BP problems, health improvements will usually start to occur before any significant weight loss happens - often in the first week or two.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Paschen81 wrote: »
    I've a question for all of you who have "cut sugar out" obviously that's not technically correct as you do still eat sugar may in a restricted manner.

When you plan your sugar consumption do you count total grams per day or instead only eat foods with no more than "x" grams of sugar?

I started cutting sugar by only eating foods with less than 3 grams of sugar but during the process I was utterly shocked at how much sugar so many of my favorite foods had. Like balsamic vinegar! And bananas! I became disheartened and gradually stopped following it

So which do you do and what amounts do you limit yourself to?

I am pretty low in sugar. Under 10 g with some days approaching zero. I cut out all sugar meaning granulated sugar. I don't own any. If I bake I use stevia, and if it needs bulk I may use a powdered stevia but will more often use a protein powder.

As a general rule, my sugars come from some sweeter veggies like peppers, some dairy, and some processed meats. I rarely eat fruit but will have some once in a while.

I'm doing a couple of weeks of low carb, and cant fathom how you have under 10g sugar when you include peppers and dairy.... Perhaps I just eat a lot more vegies, but even sticking to predominantly green ones (some red cabbage) I'm at 28g sugar for the day. The dairy I have is cheese without lactose, so no sugar contribution from that...