Vegans/vegetarians I need advice!!!!

Options
So I'm really trying to make the switch over to a vegan/vegetarian way of eating. And I loved all my food for the day and my protein is very low. Other than shakes, how can I get in more lean protein? I am also trying to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. Thanks for any suggestions! Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm new to this & trying to learn.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am not currently eating vegan.
    When I was, I limited fruit to 2 a day to have enough calories for chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, tofu, edamame, tempeh, black beans, lentils, peas, adzuki beans, broccoli, and other veggies. And lots of green leafy veggies like kale, collard greens, turnip greens, swiss chard, spinach, broccoli rabe, romaine
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Doing recomp is about eating at maintenance whilst lifting.... Doesn't matter whether you're vegan/vegetarian.

Which one are you? there are easy ways to incorporate protein as a vegetarian as you still have eggs and dairy available to you.

As a vegan, you'd have to carefully plan your diet to get sufficient protein from plant based sources. Quinoa and seitan are other options not mentioned above...
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Doing recomp is about eating at maintenance whilst lifting.... Doesn't matter whether you're vegan/vegetarian.

Which one are you? there are easy ways to incorporate protein as a vegetarian as you still have eggs and dairy available to you.

As a vegan, you'd have to carefully plan your diet to get sufficient protein from plant based sources. Quinoa and seitan are other options not mentioned above...

Vegetarian, I am still consuming egg whites. But milk/cheese very rarely because my stomach gets upset.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Look at this thread, which links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by by protein efficiency - most protein for fewest calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Scroll down past the mainly meaty fishy stuff at the top until you find some suitable foods you enjoy. East more of those, and less of something else.

I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 43 years (yes, since 1974). I do eat occasional eggs, and quite a bit of dairy, but some other higher-protein things I personally eat are beans, peas, lentils, peanut (and peanut butter, peanut butter powder), hemp seeds, watermelon seeds, chickpea pasta, tempeh, tofu, edamame, dry-roasted soybeans, tree nuts . . . .

Nuts and seeds also have a lot of fat, so the calorie ratio is high, but a person needs healthy fats - might as well get some protein with it.
  • Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Beans. Protein bars. Protein shakes. lacto ovo vegetarian: Eggs. Milk. Cheese (which I see bothers you, maybe a lactose free kind?) It's seriously hard to get protein, I know, I've been a vegetarian for years. Good luck!!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »

Vegetarian, I am still consuming egg whites. But milk/cheese very rarely because my stomach gets upset.

Have you tried lactose free options?

I developed an intolerance from avoiding dairy, starting to incorporate small amounts helped, now I have no issues with it. You can also get tablets to help with lactose digestion. If you're struggling with protein, it may be worth considering those to open up your options.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I get most of my protein from beans, tofu, tempeh, seitan, grains, and vegetables. Occasionally I'll have a protein shake. Try building your meals around a high quality source of protein and then adding other things -- this can really help.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    P.S. There's an underlying theme here, in some posts, that it's oh-so-hard to get enough protein as a vegetarian or vegan. I disagree, vehemently.

I subscribe to the "0.6-0.8g minimum per pound of healthy goal weight" protein theory (others will differ, but it's on the medium-high side of common theories). This is dead easy for me (vegetarian, 120 pound goal weight, 100g protein goal). I'm pretty sure I could do it as a vegan, but think I would need to eat more soy than I personally prefer.

If someone has additional eating limitations - allergies or LC aspirations - it may be much more difficult. Frankly, unless someone has strong moral/ethical motivations, I encourage them to consider being low meat/fish flexitarians . . . this, despite being vegetarian myself for 4+ decades
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    P.S. There's an underlying theme here, in some posts, that it's oh-so-hard to get enough protein as a vegetarian or vegan. I disagree, vehemently.

I subscribe to the "0.6-0.8g minimum per pound of healthy goal weight" protein theory (others will differ, but it's on the medium-high side of common theories). This is dead easy for me (vegetarian, 120 pound goal weight, 100g protein goal). I'm pretty sure I could do it as a vegan, but think I would need to eat more soy than I personally prefer.

If someone has additional eating limitations - allergies or LC aspirations - it may be much more difficult. Frankly, unless someone has strong moral/ethical motivations, I encourage them to consider being low meat/fish flexitarians . . . this, despite being vegetarian myself for 4+ decades

I agree. I also agree with your protein recommendations.

I'm an ovo/lacto veggie. I definitely would have difficulty being vegan (I've flirted with the idea), but I have celiac disease and soy intolerance, and that really limits my vegan protein options.

I honestly have no trouble hitting my protein goals at all with low fat dairy, eggs, egg whites, powdered peanut butter, beans, bean pasta and yes, some protein powder (I like making desserts with it).
  • HOKA36
    HOKA36 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians eat vegitables so if you like carrots... There's my advice
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    HOKA36 wrote: »

61 grams of carrot (about 1 medium carrot) has .6 grams of protein. Probably not the way for OP to meet her protein needs.
  • HOKA36
    Options

61 grams of carrot (about 1 medium carrot) has .6 grams of protein. Probably not the way for OP to meet her protein needs.

Yes but she'll be able to see in the dark really well
  • dehlirium
    dehlirium Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Tofu!! There are also faux meats available that have high protein as well. My favorite brand is Gardein, but there is also Quorn, Morningstar, Lightlife, etc. They are usually made with tempeh, soy, or Seitan (and I think Quorn is made with mushroom protein?)
  • HOKA36
    Options
    Heard bad things about tofu, puts hairs on your chest and gives you bushy eyebrows
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Yes but she'll be able to see in the dark really well

And look like an oompa loompa
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »

I guess I would be called pescatarian seeing as I occasionally eat salmon, but I'm around 95% veggie, I eat eggs but don't drink dairy thanks to an intolerance and rarely eat cheese as I only like mozzarella and halloumi. I also lift so need a decent amount of protein and don't really have any difficulty getting that in.

Today's breakfast was a 2 egg omelette with banana, sultanas and cashews, quite high Calorie at 470, but 20g protein and it fits in with my Calories for the day. I eat a lot of chickpeas, beans, lentils, green leafy veg, quinoa, nuts, seeds etc. And if I need a protein boost then I'll make myself a smoothie using pea or hemp protein powder (warning pea protein powder is funky tasting, gritty and takes some getting used to), along with berries, banana, handful of oats, some nuts, chia seeds, spinach and whatever else I fancy.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Lentils, beans, chickpeas - dried I find are higher percentage (and cheaper) than canned.
    Quinoa, nuts, seeds, broccoli, peas etc.
    Certain vegan alternatives such as yogurts, meat substitutes (not all of them have much protein, definitely check!)

If you want any food ideas, feel free to add me on here. I don't eat any animal products and have a goal of losing fat while gaining strength/maintaining muscle.
  • amandacalories
    amandacalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There are already some good suggestions here. The hardest part for me at first was feeling like I had to give up the foods I liked and ate. Truthfully it's pretty easy to substitute a meat product for a non meat one. Tofu is very versatile. There are many plant based "meat" products available now with high protein. Many restaurants offer veggie friendly meals now.

It should be noted that vegetarian/vegan diet does not equal fat loss. It's still very possible to over eat with a no meat lifestyle. My advice is make sure it's something you really want and not just a fad to lose weight.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Heard bad things about tofu, puts hairs on your chest and gives you bushy eyebrows

Sounds like you're getting some misinformation. And now you're spreading it.