Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with simple calorie deficit? is it rocket science
  • jaspn1981
    jaspn1981 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Daymn jaspn! talk about throwing the hammer down. I agree with you but you can calm down.

The negatives that other are claiming are based on ketoacidosis not ketogenesis. I shouldn't have gone as far as saying the bad breathe was a myth but it is way overblown. If you are burning ketones as fuel you are not releasing them in your breathe, sweat, or urine. It is my understanding that there can be a transition period when your body is ramping up ketone production but isn't burning them yet at an efficient rate where you will expel more of them then normal.

Youre right, in my 1st post I stated that ketoacidosis is the "negative" state of ketosis to put it simply. But unless you re a diabetic, there really is no need to worry about that at all.

And im calm man. But you know how it is on forums. People think their opinion somehow carries some weight simply because they say so.

And I find nothing wrong with your post. There can be a period, especially within the 1st few weeks where Ketone use is not very efficient. After the sugar stores are gone, the body stats using Ketons like a boss.
  • jaspn1981
    Options

Because it is a tad more complicated than cals in vs cals out... Just a tad =)
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I won't even try to respond without punctuation. UNINTELLIGIBLE.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of my protein from meet.
  • dayhadley
    Options
    I did Atkins in/around 1997 - lost 18 pounds in the first month, 26 pounds by the end of 2 months. I think this guys needs to study the basics of that diet. I do remember to "kick in" the ketosis state, I had to eat only salads every day for 3 days in a row, with nooooo carbs at all. Body starts saying, "hey don't starve me, now I gotta go for your stored fat". It worked for me. But, sometimes that diet wasn't convenient, so over the years, I've added carbs - and we all know, without exercising, that is not a great thing. I now try to only go for the "good" carbs (found mostly in fruits and veggies). I'm on a healthier diet and already lost a few pounds. Pretty excited about being back on MFP and getting healthy again.
  • babydiego87
    Options

no it really isn't.
  • jaspn1981
    Options

no it really isn't.

YES, it really is. especially when you include the role insulin plays on the body. By you even making that comment tells me you are just looking for an argument. And I'm not interested. I'd suggest doing a little more reading.
  • cmcollins001
    Options

no it really isn't.

YES, it really is. especially when you include the role insulin plays on the body. By you even making that comment tells me you are just looking for an argument. And I'm not interested. I'd suggest doing a little more reading.

What reading? There are "facts" and studies on both sides of the argument. Bottom line and at the end of the day, it's cals in vs. cals out unless there is a medical reason to approach it differently. Find something that you can and will stick with, be consistent, be truthful, and be patient. It's pretty simple.

If you like your plan...and you believe its working for you, then fantastic. But I didn't get where I am now because of some research study someone did about ketosis, I ate anything I wanted at a caloric deficit and it was easy.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is somewhere around 20g carbs or less.

Cheese and seeds and nuts have carbs. It doesn't matter where the carbs come from, if you're consuming too many you won't get in to ketosis.
  • jaspn1981
    Options

no it really isn't.

What reading? There are "facts" and studies on both sides of the argument. Bottom line and at the end of the day, it's cals in vs. cals out unless there is a medical reason to approach it differently. Find something that you can and will stick with, be consistent, be truthful, and be patient. It's pretty simple.

If you like your plan...and you believe its working for you, then fantastic. But I didn't get where I am now because of some research study someone did about ketosis, I ate anything I wanted at a caloric deficit and it was easy.

The topic of this thread is about Ketosis... Need I say more?
  • jaspn1981
    Options

no it really isn't.

What reading? There are "facts" and studies on both sides of the argument. Bottom line and at the end of the day, it's cals in vs. cals out unless there is a medical reason to approach it differently.

Actually, I will say more. Getting into the state of Ketosis IS in fact more than just cals in vs cals out. The read is about ketosis. I dont understand why people need to make their points by including information which is totally irrelevant. If the thread were about simply losing weight. Then yes, we could talk all day long about cals.

but since it is about Ketosis... We arent talking about cals... The conversation is about ketones, ketosis, carbs, insulin, sugar... etc...

And almost all questions can be answered from the 1st few links I provided in my 1st post on this thread.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My grandma did this diet. She called it the chicken, fish and steak diet. No fruit or Veggies. No pasta or rice. Just meat and meat.

The weight melted away. As soon as she started eating a normal balanced diet, it all came back. I dont diet this way because I cant

live this way for the rest of my life.
  • cmcollins001
    Options

no it really isn't.

What reading? There are "facts" and studies on both sides of the argument. Bottom line and at the end of the day, it's cals in vs. cals out unless there is a medical reason to approach it differently.

Actually, I will say more. Getting into the state of Ketosis IS in fact more than just cals in vs cals out. The read is about ketosis. I dont understand why people need to make their points by including information which is totally irrelevant. If the thread were about simply losing weight. Then yes, we could talk all day long about cals.

but since it is about Ketosis... We arent talking about cals... The conversation is about ketones, ketosis, carbs, insulin, sugar... etc...

And almost all questions can be answered from the 1st few links I provided in my 1st post on this thread.

But that's just it, the OP just wants to find a diet to lose weight...to "lose 100 lbs sooner rather than later"...this isn't about being healthy for ketosis for medical reasons, it's about a losing weight...it's about finding some diet plan the OP can jump into and drop the weight.

So, in essence, we are talking about calories. The OP just wants to drop weight and has heard or read about ketosis and thinks it's going to be the end all be all of weight loss.
  • jaspn1981
    Options

no it really isn't.

But that's just it, the OP just wants to find a diet to lose weight...to "lose 100 lbs sooner rather than later"...this isn't about being healthy for ketosis for medical reasons, it's about a losing weight...it's about finding some diet plan the OP can jump into and drop the weight.

So, in essence, we are talking about calories. The OP just wants to drop weight and has heard or read about ketosis and thinks it's going to be the end all be all of weight loss.

He did not say he wanted "lose 100 lbs sooner rather than later" on this thread. So it is irrelevant. I find it odd you went and looked through his threads from a 3 weeks ago, to cherry pick that comment.

Im honestly very tired of this back and forth nonsense. Im here to talk about Keto and answer questions that [pertain to that. if you are not replying to me in that regard. Then dont reply. I have no interest arguing over moot points, or comments people made from other threads.
  • jaspn1981
    Options
    My grandma did this diet. She called it the chicken, fish and steak diet. No fruit or Veggies. No pasta or rice. Just meat and meat.

The weight melted away. As soon as she started eating a normal balanced diet, it all came back. I dont diet this way because I cant

live this way for the rest of my life.

The ketogenic diet, is NOT a diet free from all fruits and veggies. i eat fruit, and vegs. You just do so in moderation. Again. I reference the videos in my original post.... for the umpteenth time.
  • babydiego87
    Options

no it really isn't.

i.e. I've been told and I can't handle it.

The point I was making is that this ketosis crap is unnecessary and needlessly complicated for what I'm assuming the end goal is for the OP...Weight loss which is achieved by:

DUN DUN DUNNNNN

Cals in, cals out!!!

WOW.

Mind blown!
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options

The point I was making is that this ketosis crap is unnecessary and needlessly complicated for what I'm assuming the end goal is for the OP...Weight loss which is achieved by:

DUN DUN DUNNNNN

Cals in, cals out!!!

WOW.

Mind blown!

If was really that simple it wouldn't be that hard for everyone to do it. Appetite and satiety like to screw that all up. If it was easy you could just down a 12-18 100cal snack packs a day. Problem is you likely wouldn't ever feel satisfied. For many people it is much easier to eat a diet that keeps blood glucose levels stable to keep appetite under control. A keto diet does not mean only eating meats. It should have plenty of veggies and 1-3 servings of fruit a day. You need to eat a fairly large volume of veggies to get to your carb limits. A good number of people that are on a high fat low carb or keto diet tend to eat less calories then other diets naturally because their appetite is under control and they feel satiated.

Yes in the end you have to have a caloric deficit but what you put in your mouth greatly effects the calories that come out.
  • jaspn1981
    Options

no it really isn't.

i.e. I've been told and I can't handle it.

DUN DUN DUNNNNN

Cals in, cals out!!!

WOW.

Mind blown!

Please stop trolling the forums with your nonsense. The point you're making is true. But it is not the topic of discussion. Yes you can eat nothing, 0 calories for a week, and you WILL in fact lose weight. True. Losing just weight does not equate to a healthy weight loss, nor does simply losing weight imply a better or more healthy body composition.

What is complicated for your brain, doesnt mean its complicated for everyone else. I know dozens of people who have no problem with simple math. They can easily add and subtract macro-nutrient ratio's. Maintaining a healthy state of nutritional Ketosis year long. While also maintaining under 10% bodyfat without being a competition level athlete. You obviously have no knowledge ont he subject, and are just looking to argue for the sake of arguing. Mr/Mrs Obvious Troll is obvious.

Weighting 150lbs. And losing 40lbs of lean tissue, is not healthy. Even if your goal was to DUN DUN DUUUUN.... get to 110lbs. Especially if you were still 20-30% bodyfat or more.

So please again... Just stop. Seriously. Your life cant honestly be that dull that you need to come to MFP forums to troll.