Weighing all food and gaining weight

Options
2»

Replies

• kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Please please don't continue eating and excersise the way you are.. very unhealthy for you to eat only 600 Calories and work out 2 hours! I don't know where you even find the energy. Please input stats into MFP and it will give you a much better plan. Good luck.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Chances are really good that if you've significantly increased exercise you're retaining water as your body deals with the increased workload you've given it. BE PATIENT. Trust physics and biology. Eat at a reasonable deficit and keep exercising (again, reasonably). Effective loss takes time.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1200. At least 4 days this week I was under 600. By the time I got home (ridiculously busy with kids and school etc) I was more tired than hungry and went to bed. It wasn't intentional. Plus exercise calories, which again I don't eat.

So for 4 days you ate 600, and did exercise which you didn't eat back? So net 0 intake. Not good. You're retaining water.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You are eating 600-1200 calories and not eating back your exercise calories? That's not much for 279 lbs and unhealthy, in that it can lead to fatigue, hair loss, brittle nails, and a host of other health issues.

Starting a new exercise routine can lead to water retention because water is needed to repair the muscles. So this might account for a recent gain, as would TOM or ovulation.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    OP this is good sound advice you're getting.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    So- in terms of not having enough. I hear what you are saying, but doesn't that primarily matter for smaller people? When I go to bed sans enough calories, my thought is that I *was* going to have a gastric sleeve. If I had, my caloric intake would be what I've had some days or less. It isn't magically safer for someone with a sleeve, so I thought that because I'm morbidly obese it was okay?

People who have weight loss surgery are medically supervised and required to follow a special diet with specific supplements to reduce possible damage. A friend of mine just went through it and she still had negative side effects. Our body can only use a certain amount of calories per pound of body fat per day. The estimate is between 4 and 6 calories per pound of body fat (the estimate used to be 10). Everything else is going to come from lean mass. So let's say you have 200 pounds of body fat your ideal deficit is between 800 and 1200 calories below your maintenance calories.

Damn, that's sobering. Obviously I knew we could only use a certain number of calories from body fat per day, but hadn't crunched the numbers any time recently, esp not with that lower figure. Time to start practicing what I preach and drop my deficit to 250! Thanks @usmcmp
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Started 60 days ago. Plateau was just over a week, then dropped suddenly. Then have been gaining about .4 to .8lbs a day, some days losing part of what I gained the day before. That's been going on for about a week. The scale read 279.8 this morning. I started working out a week ago, which is much more than I was doing before. I'm training for a 5k and then doing other cardio. Today I have my intro to the weight machines. My starting weight was 305.

My scale went up 7 pounds when I started working out:

4tr104p5vzdl.png

That's the big spike late Oct/early Nov.

Most of the other spikes represent ovulation and being premenstrual.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Started 60 days ago. Plateau was just over a week, then dropped suddenly. Then have been gaining about .4 to .8lbs a day, some days losing part of what I gained the day before. That's been going on for about a week. The scale read 279.8 this morning. I started working out a week ago, which is much more than I was doing before. I'm training for a 5k and then doing other cardio. Today I have my intro to the weight machines. My starting weight was 305.
    I'm really not intending to under eat. My go to food in the past has been fast food. I've done my best to eliminate that, but am not always able to replace it. I am a full time nursing student, part time teacher, mom and foster to puppies. I just bought an instant pot. I'm hoping that will help me get more quality calories in.

Also, you are over exercising, under eating, and have a very busy life, all of which is stressful, so no doubt your cortisol is increased, which also causes water retention.

https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/

...In any case, dieting in general is a stress. And of course training is a stress. And the more extreme you do of each, the more of a stress occurs. And I suspect that a lot of what is going on when folks try to combine excessive caloric deficits with massive amounts of activity is that cortisol just goes through the roof (there’s another issue I’ll come back to at the end that relates to this). Simply, you get these massive chronic elevations in cortisol levels.

...chronic elevations in cortisol can cause a lot of bad things to happen.
  • MelonColleyMom
    MelonColleyMom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the knowledge. I got some crappy sodium filled frozen meals (though I did get the newer "natural" ingerdient ones) to make it easier to get dinner eaten. I ate more today, and am planning on a snack but am having horrendous gas pains so idk if it will happen.

Went to the gym today, got my active Trax set up. I plan on doing my couchto5k program every other day, and following the weight routine set out by the program. I'm still going to avoid the fast food. I definitely have an addiction to food and it's hard for me to make good choices there. But I also bought some protein bars and packs of nuts to keep with me to snack as needed. I think my concern with the numbers on the scale is mostly because I joined a diet bet- and that only cares about numbers. I really don't want to lose! This will be my last one (I'm actually in 4, 3 4 week long and one 6 month). I may stick with 6 month ones because they are 10% in 6 months which is more reasonable than 4% in 4 weeks.

Again thank you to everyone that took the time to reply.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the knowledge. I got some crappy sodium filled frozen meals (though I did get the newer "natural" ingerdient ones) to make it easier to get dinner eaten. I ate more today, and am planning on a snack but am having horrendous gas pains so idk if it will happen.

Went to the gym today, got my active Trax set up. I plan on doing my couchto5k program every other day, and following the weight routine set out by the program. I'm still going to avoid the fast food. I definitely have an addiction to food and it's hard for me to make good choices there. But I also bought some protein bars and packs of nuts to keep with me to snack as needed. I think my concern with the numbers on the scale is mostly because I joined a diet bet- and that only cares about numbers. I really don't want to lose! This will be my last one (I'm actually in 4, 3 4 week long and one 6 month). I may stick with 6 month ones because they are 10% in 6 months which is more reasonable than 4% in 4 weeks.

Again thank you to everyone that took the time to reply.

It's good to see you reading the advice here. I'm always one to caution against the betting type stuff - not because losing weight and staying on plan isn't a good thing - it is. But if the plan incentivizes doing something unhealthy, like faster than healthy weight loss, it's not a worthwhile plan. A 10% plan over 6 months looks very reasonable. Just remember that if you accelerate that, you might win the bet, but lose the health benefits that a slower loss would give you. You're in this for life, not just the end of the coming 6 months!