Tell me about your last binge....

When was it? How long did it last? What triggered it? What stopped it? What are your thoughts about it?

Replies

• mgood924
    mgood924 Posts: 7 Member
    Well it hasn't happened yet, but today is my birthday and my mom is making her homemade mac & cheese and my dad is smoking a bunch of meat....not to mention my birthday cake...so a binge is in the near future. :# but I know tomorrow is a new day and I'm going to go sweat some of it out at the gym tomorrow. All you can do is accept it and know that you'll do better tomorrow. It happens to everybody. Don't stay stuck on it. Don't feel guilty. Just move on. We'll get the hang of it eventually.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Last week I bought a pint of blueberry vanilla Talenti. Did not moderate and ate the whole thing. Still was on track for the week, no regrets.
  • imanibelle
    imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
    My last binge was three weeks ago. I have a huge problem with binging. I can do well for months, eating mostly healthy foods, having junk in moderation and thinking binging is a horrible thing that will never happen to ne again. But it happens, and i don't know what sets it off, but the binging can last for a few days or sometimes for a couple of weeks. Last time it was for two or three days. I know what keeps a binge running - and thats the strange high I get from eating, even when the food doesn't taste so great anymore or when I'm sick. I can wipe out so much of my progress in a few days just by binging. What stopped my last binge was finally trying to understand what keeps a binge going. The high I get from eating nonstop only comes from eating unhealthy foods. I've decided to practice some abstinence and make real junk food just an occasional treat. I don't think it's good for me to have alot of that stuff around at this point. I've struggled with this for years.
  • potatoyeti
    potatoyeti Posts: 38 Member
    My last binge lasted for about two years. It was a farmers breakfast wrap from Tim Hortons in the morning on my way to work. Then would eat a egg on a bagel from the coffee shop by my work. Would skip lunch then on the way home would stop at McDonald's or Wendy's and get a Angus combo or a Asiago chicken combo........then would have a snack when I got home (chips, crackers, ECT) and finish it off with a takeout dinner with the family bacause was too lazy to cook. Needless to say I ended up weighting 290 lbs and have a lot of work to do to turn this around.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Yesterday. Well, it wasn't really a binge, just overeating. It was my 68th birthday and Hubby made boiled shrimp with Old Bay seasoning. I don't really know how many shrimp I ate, but it was over a pound and I dipped each shrimp in butter. Plus, I had numerous beers. I tried to estimate calories and THINK, I was at maintenance, but probably somewhat over. Nonetheless, because of the huge amount of sodium, I was up a couple of pounds today. How do I feel? Well, it was good yesterday and I enjoyed every beer and every morsel. Today, I'm not so sure. I haven't had boiled shrimp in over a year and while it tasted great, not sure if it was worth the extra weight today.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    This thread is very interesting to me. I hope more people will share. I usually shy away from threads about binging as I find them incredible at times but don't really consider myself to have a binge eating disorder. I feel I have truly "binged" about six times in my life and the way I categorize most of those events is the psychological feelings I have when eating, far more so than the quantity of food I eat.

Last night I had two excellent higher end beers and a vegetarian corn dog that were unplanned. But for me that wasn't a binge at all. It was a "I hiked almost 9 miles in extreme heat and I deserve this over-calorie Saturday night free for all". No bad feelings whatsoever. No feelings I'd categorize as a binge event. I dunno. Maybe I'm just defining it differently than some do?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Not truly a binge (not completely out of control, just freely overeating), but I ate almost 5K calories yesterday, around 2x NEAT + exercise.

Rowed in the morning, after a light breakfast of kefir, peanut butter & flaxseed on Ezekiel pita, hot skim milk with vanilla.

After rowing, had a skim latte with friends, one of whom gave me 3 homemade almond butter/chocolate chip energy bites, of which I ate one.

Had decided to go to a "chocolate with a cop" (new police chief) event at my favorite chocolate shop in a nearby town, where I had a "choffee", which is a black coffee with one of their coconut-oil chocolates melted into it, plus one sample-sized chocolate.

By then, it was about 2PM, so I went out for lunch at my favorite Mexican restaurant. At leisurely pace while reading, I had a bunch of chips, a whole bowl of salsa, half an order of blue corn enchiladas and frijoles (rest = today's lunch), 2 big glasses of water, and two sangrias. On the way home, I had a gelato, half black cherry, half salted caramel.

No doubt influenced by the sangria, I went home and later started grazing for dinner. It was a lot of items, none individually massive, but it added up. Hitting the high points, there was cheese, crispy broad beans, whole wheat tortilla with fromage blanc, guava, more sangria, focaccia, ice cream (individual cup), taco Doritos (1 oz), and a couple of chocolates.

I'm in maintenance, well into my 2nd year. I internationally eat under my maintenance calories most days, to allow for an indulge-y day once every week or two. This was the day. I'll end up pretty close to maintenance over that period of days.

I stopped when I didn't feel like eating more, and went to bed.

How do I feel about it? Meh. I'm trying to lose half a pound a week or thereabouts, since I'm a bit above my maintenance range right now, and I won't have lost much if any for the past week-ish. But I'm at a healthy weight, holding steady or losing ultra-slowly over recent weeks, so I'm not unduly stressed about it.

Maybe I'm just rationalizing, but I seem to have a little more difficulty moderating as days shorten in Fall. Fortunately, we're having a warm Fall, so I'm still rowing 4 days a week (in addition to year-round stuff), which helps balance things out.
  • ashesnposies333
    ashesnposies333 Posts: 59 Member
    I gained ten lbs in two weeks binging. It was whatever I thought would taste good with zero thought to calories or more importantly portions. I don't think I've had proper portions of vegetables in that time. Loads of alcohol, I got plastered drunk I think five times this month already, mixed drinks full of sugar and sweet Ness. Horrible hangovers, where after it passed I would just eat whatever I could find, and living with my mom, that means every nook and cranny is stuffed full with food stuffs. Sweets and candy and bread and cereal and beer and nachos and salty good things and ramen and soda and fast food and Chinese food and six or seven slices of pizza and fried everything, sampler platter type *kitten* but just for me and just. In retrospect the flavor was worth it, it always is, but my body is so mad at me. I didn't pay any attention to what I was putting in my body but on its way out I have no choice but to pay attention. My belly hurts at the end of the day, and the next morning I'm constipated and boy does it show.
    When I pay attention to what I eat and my activity level, I poop three or four times a day. Now I'm lucky if I poo once and that's usually from after drinking.
    I want to say I'm disappointed in myself, Id like to say my body deserves better. But honestly it was so gratifying to just for a while stop focusing on it and let myself be. Of course, to be fair, my personal life has been thrown into chaos and everything is shifting because of that so the food and alcohol has been !y refuge and release and comfort and hey! That's bad habits coming back but I think I subconsciously decided to let rip and back off of myself until this shitshow in my life cools off, so today I'm trying to rein it back in before I get out of control lol
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    I haven't binged but I ate something today I normally wouldn't of and that's a steak sandwich from my favorite place. I only ate half, but half was 450 calories and I stayed in my calorie budget but I went over my fat intake allowed.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Last one consisted of half a large apricot tart with mascarpone, several servings of Greek yoghurt, skittles, some chocolate and some frozen yoghurt ice lollies. I have no idea the calories. I also had several whilst on a small holiday and went around 1800 calories over my maintenance on two occasions. I was still the same weight a week later and the 4 pounds I had gained, presumably mostly water, disappeared with a return to my usual programme of exercise and food. I go through phases sometimes of emotional/anxiety based eating but fortunately not often now. Fortunately, barring one occasion when on an anti depressant, my weight has never been anywhere near overweight for my height because I always pull myself together in time presumably. But yeah. Binge eating is a real kick to the self esteem and tends to leave you feeling physically and mentally rubbish.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    @JeromeBarry1 I'm having a rough go of it in maintenance too. Hang in there. There are very specific things (for me) that can trigger mini-binges including not getting a good nights sleep and letting myself get too hungry.

Not exactly a binge, but I had TWO pints of Halo Top today. They rolled out the new flavors at my Publix today and I couldn't help myself. Once I wait for it to soften up, the whole pint is a goner.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I had a good long binge on Friday after learning that my cat died. It started around 4 pm and stopped when I passed out around 3 am. My thoughts are that *kitten* happens, and it's okay. Still in a deficit for the month.

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat.

{{{{{{{{{{ hugs }}}}}}}}}}
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Last Monday. I visited my mom and she was stressing me out (long story and lots of reasons). I helped her get groceries because she was struggling with some health issues. We bought a packet of creme horn pastries to split. I ate one, with a plate & fork, like a civilized being...six to a pack, so we each had two more in a baggie. I'd already had a small brownie and a hamburger a few hours earlier, mind you. I was roughly at my calorie limit for the day even after the hamburger & brownie, and I definitely hadn't eaten as healthy as I'd like or as I do normally. I feel like having even one creme horn was just comfort/stress eating because she was doing my head in with her own issues and gripes.

In the car driving home from her house, I ate another creme horn. Then I licked the creme filling out of the last one, breaking it in half to get all of the creme, and it didn't even honestly taste good but I just felt like I "had" to have all the sugar in that moment. As I was eating it, I thought about how stupid it was, and how out of character for me. I haven't done anything like that in ages. I'd also thought of throwing the two creme horns out the window (not the bag though, I wouldn't litter something like that just edible food).

As a result, I felt sick to my stomach and humiliated as well. It wasn't worth it at all. Once in awhile, my husband and I will get a couple of donuts and coffee that is outside of our calories/macros but it's totally worth it to me and fun and not shameful at all. This was totally the opposite experience for me. I was in my car feeling like a rat pushing a button to get a pellet of food or something. The pastries were not even very good, and the filling just tasted like fluffy sugar with no real taste. I felt extra weird about it because a week earlier I'd noticed a packet of the same pastries in the supermarket and thought, "Man I could eat all six of those" and eating this stuff in my car, at night, secretly, was just not even behavior that I normally have ever had even during the many years when I was morbidly obese.

I think we all have low moments and that was one of mine. I hope this doesn't sound lame because it's "not a true binge" (roughly 500-600 calories)...for me, it definitely was. I've been controlling my calorie intake for years and this was a fail for me. I'm moving past it though. I'm pretty sure if that happened again I'd pull over and just throw the two creme horns in a convenience store garbage can.

I can totally relate to your "rat pushing a button" analogy...

Did you feel so awful from the overeating that you stopped thinking about about the stress with your mother? I have certainly used food to self medicate like that many times in the past.

I like your plan for next time :)
  • ProdigiousDigit
    ProdigiousDigit Posts: 49 Member
    edited September 2017
    I don't eat out very often anymore but I had to go into downtown Denver on Friday and stopped for a couple of Torchy's Beef Fajita tacos while down there.

Didn't think much of it until I got home and logged them. 2880 mg's of sodium!!

Arrrrg!!! Damn it! Didn't even realize I was binging on salt.