Why don't people use MFP to set their calorie goals?

Options

Replies

• DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I personally do. It has always worked for me. I do the adjust calorie burns for exercise to remove the amount i would have spent sedentary for the same amount of time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    phwdjones wrote: »
    I don't use it because mfp gives me a 1500 calorie goal as a 6'1 male who walks 3-4 miles a day. My sex drive is already tanking from eating only 1800. So sod that

That's because you chose 2 pounds a week. That's the thing new people don't understand, you don't have to pick 2 pounds a week. That's what MFP calculated based on the rate of weight loss you chose, it hasn't forced that number on you and that rate of weight loss is not possible without going that low (or in your case possibly even lower since 1500 is the lowest it would go for men).

ETA: I'm not sure if this is already a thing, but does MFP have (Recommended) next to a moderate rate of weight loss? If it doesn't, this may help some people.

I want 2lbs per week loss, I dont have to eat 1500 cals a day to do that, Imho.

Well, you're 26, 6'1" and 192(ish) pounds. Aiming for a goal of 2 pounds per week probably isn't achievable for you, even if you want to hit that. Most people really can't lose that quickly without having to take their calories down to an unreasonable level.

@phwdjones at 6'1" and 192(ish) pounds, you must be pretty close to your goal weight, yes? In that case you need to adjust your expectations and be patient.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Back to the OP's question... I think that people are a little bit naive and would like to take the quick/easy way out...

It would be lovely if the guided setup was the first screen that popped up after registering as a user. It would also be lovely if, upon registering your starting weight and goal weight, mfp defaulted to a reasonable rate of weight loss (not 2 lbs a week!) to help folks manage their expectations.

I was under the impression it did. It was 2.5 years ago when I signed up, but from what I can recall, as soon as I registered, it took me to a guided set up screen ... and everything seemed pretty clear to me.

But ................ maybe things have changed in 2.5 years???

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Again, for me, even if you I type in the highest activity level, it's still just too low at maintenance. And when I eat the amount I need to maintain, it tells me I am going to gain weight. Sometimes we need other sources of information, calculation, along with our own trial and error. But, when people first join they don't know all of that yet. So people post, and others share what they have learned. Plus some people just do better calculating TDEE, seeing the range of possibilities based on activity levels, and not doing the exercise calorie thing day to day.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't use it because mfp gives me a 1500 calorie goal as a 6'1 male who walks 3-4 miles a day. My sex drive is already tanking from eating only 1800. So sod that

That's because you chose 2 pounds a week. That's the thing new people don't understand, you don't have to pick 2 pounds a week. That's what MFP calculated based on the rate of weight loss you chose, it hasn't forced that number on you and that rate of weight loss is not possible without going that low (or in your case possibly even lower since 1500 is the lowest it would go for men).

ETA: I'm not sure if this is already a thing, but does MFP have (Recommended) next to a moderate rate of weight loss? If it doesn't, this may help some people.

I want 2lbs per week loss, I dont have to eat 1500 cals a day to do that, Imho.

You do need to eat that low if you are sedentary. These are simple calculations. If you are active, any activity you add would increase your calories and in that case you could eat more and keep that rate of weight loss.

Perhaps that's the problem--the calculations are too simple to be accurate for everybody. MFP recommended 1600 calories/day for me for 2 lbs/week weight loss (back when I had over 150 lbs to lose) but that daily calorie amount had me binge eating every few days (I thought I just lacked "will power"). However, that calorie level was way too low for me for sedentary (about 35% too low) as I eventually figured out (2 years later) that 2200 calories/day @ sedentary is about right for me for a 2 lbs/week weight loss rate. That daily calorie level for me has recently (July2017) been confirmed by an RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) test--I just wish I had done that RMR test 2 years ago when I was having such a difficult time sticking to my diets (i.e. any diet I tried, including MFP--and binged on all of them because I followed the diet guidelines or ate the recommended daily calories).
  • krystenmlee1
    krystenmlee1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    In five years here, I'd have to say that a whole lot of people are just generally clueless as to how this tool works and is designed to work...which I really don't understand because it seemed pretty straight forward to me.

Do You follow the macros or calories?
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think some people generally have trouble with numbers
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Back to the OP's question... I think that people are a little bit naive and would like to take the quick/easy way out...

It would be lovely if the guided setup was the first screen that popped up after registering as a user. It would also be lovely if, upon registering your starting weight and goal weight, mfp defaulted to a reasonable rate of weight loss (not 2 lbs a week!) to help folks manage their expectations.

I was under the impression it did. It was 2.5 years ago when I signed up, but from what I can recall, as soon as I registered, it took me to a guided set up screen ... and everything seemed pretty clear to me.

But ................ maybe things have changed in 2.5 years???

It may very well--it's been 5 years for me and I can't remember what I did last week, let alone 5 years ago :smile:

It seems that there has been a uptick in the number of "tell me how much to eat" posts lately (and it's not even January) so maybe they discontinued it? Or common sense is even less common than it used to be?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I didn't know you could skip all of that when you start an account (honestly I don't recall anything about the start-up process). I don't use MFP's method anymore but it was pretty obvious what to do in the beginning.
  • kmf117
    kmf117 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So, I used MFP's tool to establish my caloric goal. It said 1200, which I know is the minimum recommended for females. But then I read the "most helpful posts" thread listed as a sticky, and there are very compelling posts about why 1200 calories should never be your caloric goal, that it's simply not enough to live on, and might actually thwart weight loss. So I followed the links to find out my TDEE and BMR, and I came up with ~1400 calories for a goal. So yeah, I'm confused too, and I DID use the MFP tool at set-up, and read the most helpful posts thread.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    In five years here, I'd have to say that a whole lot of people are just generally clueless as to how this tool works and is designed to work...which I really don't understand because it seemed pretty straight forward to me.

Do You follow the macros or calories?

If you want to lose weight, you must be eating fewer calories than you spend, which generally means following the calories. Many people do lose weight by cutting down certain macros (carbs being popular right now), but that only works if cutting those macros also cuts calories far enough. The tool is really designed to track calories first, macros second if at all - many people (including me) rarely pay much attention to them.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If you're small and sedentary, 1200 may be okay. I'm 5'3" with 41 lbs before I reach goal (31 to hit the healthy BMI) and MFP has me on 1240 to lose 1lb/week. In practice, I take 2-hour plus walks and do resistance training 3 times a week, so the only reason I'm 'sedentary' is because if I didn't choose to do this, I'd never move around, unlike, say, a retail worker who spends a good part of their day on their feet and moving around. I eat back my exercise calories, so I'm usually eating more like 1700 or so. But on a day when I can't exercise, 1240 is my caloric goal.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    kmf117 wrote: »
    So, I used MFP's tool to establish my caloric goal. It said 1200, which I know is the minimum recommended for females. But then I read the "most helpful posts" thread listed as a sticky, and there are very compelling posts about why 1200 calories should never be your caloric goal, that it's simply not enough to live on, and might actually thwart weight loss. So I followed the links to find out my TDEE and BMR, and I came up with ~1400 calories for a goal. So yeah, I'm confused too, and I DID use the MFP tool at set-up, and read the most helpful posts thread.

How much do you weigh right now? If you are on the lower end of the scale, it can be very difficult to lose weight quickly and still stay healthy. 1200 is an educated estimate for the bottom end of what women should be eating to get sufficient nutrition, so the app will not give you a calorie goal below that. It can also happen if you're short and moderately overweight. Assuming that's what's going on, I'd probably say to start with 1400 for a month or two and see what happens.

ETA: Finally, if you're new to calorie counting, know that these are just estimates and you have to get real life data to see what's going to work for you. MFP gave me a much lower goal than necessary, which was a nice surprise. Track your calories and your weight, see what happens, and adjust as needed.
  • kmf117
    kmf117 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

How much do you weigh right now? If you are on the lower end of the scale, it can be very difficult to lose weight quickly and still stay healthy. 1200 is an educated estimate for the bottom end of what women should be eating to get sufficient nutrition, so the app will not give you a calorie goal below that. It can also happen if you're short and moderately overweight. Assuming that's what's going on, I'd probably say to start with 1400 for a month or two and see what happens.

ETA: Finally, if you're new to calorie counting, know that these are just estimates and you have to get real life data to see what's going to work for you. MFP gave me a much lower goal than necessary, which was a nice surprise. Track your calories and your weight, see what happens, and adjust as needed.

I currently weigh 171 (down from 185 10 weeks ago). So I've lost 14 lb in 10 weeks, most of which was before I started using MFP and logging food. I just cut way back on sugar and alcohol, and upped my exercise to lose that first 14 lb. I'm a 55 yo female, 5'7" with a goal weight of 150 (so 21 more lb to go). I went in to MFP and changed my settings to lightly active as opposed to sedentary, as I have a desk job, but still get in 10,000 steps per day. In addition, I exercise 6 days per week, combination of cardio and strength, so MFP does add calories back when I exercise (though I read I should only eat back a portion of these?). I changed my goal from 1.5 lb a week to 1 lb a week, and my new caloric goal (before exercise calories) is 1460. That seems a lot more reasonable. I hope I keep losing!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I currently weigh 171 (down from 185 10 weeks ago). So I've lost 14 lb in 10 weeks, most of which was before I started using MFP and logging food. I just cut way back on sugar and alcohol, and upped my exercise to lose that first 14 lb. I'm a 55 yo female, 5'7" with a goal weight of 150 (so 21 more lb to go). I went in to MFP and changed my settings to lightly active as opposed to sedentary, as I have a desk job, but still get in 10,000 steps per day. In addition, I exercise 6 days per week, combination of cardio and strength, so MFP does add calories back when I exercise (though I read I should only eat back a portion of these?). I changed my goal from 1.5 lb a week to 1 lb a week, and my new caloric goal (before exercise calories) is 1460. That seems a lot more reasonable. I hope I keep losing!

First, I want to commend you for reading the stickied most helpful posts! So many people never seek that out, and I think there is a wealth of information in there.

Second, I think that all the changes you made sound perfectly appropriate for your stats and goals. You have about 20 lbs to lose, so 1 lb/week is good, in a few pounds you may want to drop that to 0.5 lb/week. Changing your activity level from sedentary to lightly active also makes sense, I'm in a similar situation, I have a desk job but average >12K steps/day.

Anecdotally - my story was very similar. I originally let MFP select my goal, but based on the stats that I entered, it also defaulted to 1200 (I am petite, and was overweight and sedentary at the time). I read good advice on the boards that most people, even petite females over 40 with desk jobs, can lose weight eating more than 1200 cals. I set my goal to 1400 and still continued to log and eat back exercise calories, and I continued to lose. Over time I became more active and after about 6 months when I got my FitBit and had lost about 20 lbs, I changed my goal and my activity level and got even more calories in my baseline. Now I'm in maintenance, and my TDEE according to my FitBit and actual results is 2200. There's no way that MFP would have predicted that for me, based on the stats I entered at the time, and to be fair, I'm far more active now and my maintenance calories are higher than from before I lost the weight! But starting with the MFP numbers, then reading more, and adjusting based on my own individual results worked really well for me and is what I'd recommend for almost every new user to this site.

I'd keep monitoring your results over the next few weeks but I think this all sounds really great - good luck!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I don't think MyFitnessPal does a good enough job explaining the tool or how to set goals and what the goals mean. It's had this problem since 2011 when I joined.

It's a weight loss site, what part of goal setting and weight loss specifically confuses you?