Why don't people use MFP to set their calorie goals?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Not trying to be snarky - but everyday I see multiple posts about "how do I determine my calorie goal? Someone help me figure out how much to eat / exercise to meet my goals?"

I find these questions confusing. When I first stumbled upon MFP, it was obvious that I could put in my stats and MFP would help calculate & track this. Yet so many on the Forums seem completely unaware of this.

Maybe someone can help me understand - why don't you take advantage of the MFP calorie goal and tracking? Does MFP need to draw more attention to those features so people know they exist? Do you see the tools but not trust their accuracy? Or is there another reason people come to the MFP site and decline to use the tools they offer?

Simply because our bodies are different, there's no calculator in the world that can pinpoint exactly how much is your maintenance. In my case, my metabolism is so high that most calculators get my maintenance wrong. I burn so much calories and all I do is lift weights + no cardio. The only way to estimate your maintenance is with trial and error. You try a certain number of calories for 3 weeks and see the results, change the calories if it's not being met, rinse and repeat until you get the desired results.

While that may be the case, what makes asking other members for a starting point any more accurate than letting MFP calculate it?

It doesn't which is why I state that the only way to find out is by trial and error. You could use the mfp calculator or your own number as a starting point, it doesn't really matter. As long as you adjust if your objectives are not met after 2-3 weeks.

Yes, I completely agree. It's just something newbies need not worry about for a while. If entering stats and pressing a button is complicated enough, worrying about calculating adjustments would be an overkill for someone who is already overwhelmed.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    This. Or someone asking you how many calories they've burned
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    SimplyAdia wrote: »
    I suspect a lot of people are hoping to find some secret formula that will lead to peak weight loss. I think a lot of people also don't trust the MFP estimates because they assume the only way to lose weight is through extremely low calorie diets, so they think MFP is wrong when they get 2000/day or something moderate like that.

This. MFP gave me 2700 calories and I'm still questioning it. BUt this week I'm going to try and hit those calories. I keep trying to hit macros and it's not working for me. So I'm going to focus on hitting those calories and see if it makes a difference in 30 days.

I'm curious, is this after exercise adjustment or do you have a very active job?
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    SimplyAdia wrote: »
    I suspect a lot of people are hoping to find some secret formula that will lead to peak weight loss. I think a lot of people also don't trust the MFP estimates because they assume the only way to lose weight is through extremely low calorie diets, so they think MFP is wrong when they get 2000/day or something moderate like that.

This. MFP gave me 2700 calories and I'm still questioning it. BUt this week I'm going to try and hit those calories. I keep trying to hit macros and it's not working for me. So I'm going to focus on hitting those calories and see if it makes a difference in 30 days.

But...you took the time to go enter your stats and get a starting calorie goal. You're tracking and monitoring, and will adjust in 30 days as needed. That's taking ownership of the process! :-)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I assume that people who do that stubble across the forum and don't realize that there is an app associated with it.
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I assume that people who do that stubble across the forum and don't realize that there is an app associated with it.

I thought you are required to create an account in order to post a question on the Forums...let me know if I'm wrong about that.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I think that people just starting out probably need to set a lower goal than what MFP calculates. Especially when you first start counting, you're going to suck at it. You will underestimate everything, you will forget to log stuff, etc. You will suck at it.

After you're used to tracking, and get better at it, you can raise your calories up to what MFP calculates.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I thought you are required to create an account in order to post a question on the Forums...let me know if I'm wrong about that.

Yup, I believe that's the case - you can't post without an account, you can't have an account without it asking you questions.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. Sometimes our TDEE is different than we realize. Mfp sets me way too low. I prefer the fat2fitradio calculator. And I eat the same each day according to my TDEE, so I don't need to eat based on exercise calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    "Reading the manual" has gone out of fashion.

It's never been the case that everyone can learn by reading static material, IME. Over 20-some years managing people, I learned that even some pretty smart people need more structure/interactivity . . . or hand-holding, if you prefer.
  • kayla25mfp
    kayla25mfp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    I think that people just starting out probably need to set a lower goal than what MFP calculates. Especially when you first start counting, you're going to suck at it. You will underestimate everything, you will forget to log stuff, etc. You will suck at it.

After you're used to tracking, and get better at it, you can raise your calories up to what MFP calculates.

Some of us suck at it the opposite way though. I have a natural tendency to overestimate the amount I'm eating when I'm dieting.

I think these are the exact reasons it's good to go with what they suggest to start with. Then if you aren't losing the amount you're set to you know what problems to look for. Or you can then adjust it accordingly to make up for your own errors.

• SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    MFP settings are not accurate for my purposes and my goal is 0.75lbs weekly which (from what I recall and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) MFP doesn't offer as an option.

I set my own calorie goals with a custom amount I got from scoobys workshop for TDEE-xx% to provide me with my weight loss goal over a year timeframe. This has led to 60 pounds down in the last year.
    > it took some trial and error to find the right rate of loss for my happiness and I initially lost closer to 2 pounds weekly before I balanced everything out.