Why don't people use MFP to set their calorie goals?

Replies

• natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    When I first joined I didn't realise my calorie goal already included my deficit, so I guess people could get confused that way.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    When I first joined I didn't realise my calorie goal already included my deficit, so I guess people could get confused that way.

That's a very good point. Some people may get confused thinking the calorie level given is how much they burn, not how much they should eat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    phwdjones wrote: »
    I don't use it because mfp gives me a 1500 calorie goal as a 6'1 male who walks 3-4 miles a day. My sex drive is already tanking from eating only 1800. So sod that

That's because you chose 2 pounds a week. That's the thing new people don't understand, you don't have to pick 2 pounds a week. That's what MFP calculated based on the rate of weight loss you chose, it hasn't forced that number on you and that rate of weight loss is not possible without going that low (or in your case possibly even lower since 1500 is the lowest it would go for men).

ETA: I'm not sure if this is already a thing, but does MFP have (Recommended) next to a moderate rate of weight loss? If it doesn't, this may help some people.

I would have to sign up again to check, but it seems to me that MFP recommended I do not choose more than 1 kg/week, and that 0.5 kg/week would be the better choice.

It also seems to me that MFP said quite clearly that the number of calories includes the deficit. In fact ... unless I'm remembering completely wrong ... I'm pretty sure that the fact that the number of calories includes the deficit is written quite boldly and highlighted.

My recollection is that it was all clear and straightforward.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Not trying to be snarky - but everyday I see multiple posts about "how do I determine my calorie goal? Someone help me figure out how much to eat / exercise to meet my goals?"

I find these questions confusing. When I first stumbled upon MFP, it was obvious that I could put in my stats and MFP would help calculate & track this. Yet so many on the Forums seem completely unaware of this.

Maybe someone can help me understand - why don't you take advantage of the MFP calorie goal and tracking? Does MFP need to draw more attention to those features so people know they exist? Do you see the tools but not trust their accuracy? Or is there another reason people come to the MFP site and decline to use the tools they offer?

I also find it confusing why some people post as if MFP has never given them a calorie goal. I thought it was part of the sign up process to enter your stats and get a goal. I didn't think you could post on the forum without going through that.
    I remember getting my first calorie goal from MFP being pretty straight forward and obvious. After getting on the forums and reading several knowledgeable seeming people using TDEE and calculating differently it got confusing if I should do that or use the MFP calorie goal. I stuck with what MFP gave me because it was easy and it worked out fine.
    I guess the only thing I can think of is that people want a complicated formula or special diet plan and didn't get that so think they are missing something.

Well, it's possible that they just clicked through with random stats to be done quickly. I mean, it happens, just like "agree to terms and conditions".
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    edited September 2017
    Thank you to everyone for their perspective! I will continue to recommend the MFP goal as a good starting place for those who don't know where to start. And of course, accurate logging to help meet the goal and understand if it's working as expected.

Hopefully MFP will continue to develop the user interface to make the set up process easy and intuitive.

ETA: Added missing words and corrected spelling - clearly I need more coffee this morning!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    I'm aware that I can let the MFP program set my calories but I find it reinforcing to do it myself. It's like getting on the scale every day. It's not necessary but it reminds me of how I want to face eating each day.

Since there are several different formulas for calculating TDEE and each comes out with a slightly different estimate for me I figure by telling people which one I use I am letting them know that they, with the same statustics, may come up with a slightly different number if using a different calculator.

And TDEE is, however it is calculated, simply an estimate. Not only do we differ as individuals, we differ from day to day in our base level of energy expenditure. We acknowledge this when we consider exercise in our calculations but it is also affected by things we wouldn't count as exercise. None of us expends the exact same amount of energy every day no matter how routinized our activities.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    some people are just stupid and can't follow instructions.

also FYI-
    Just had to add this (in response to the comments of 'people choosing a not reasonable 2 lb/wk loss' being the cause of the 1200 calorie floor coming up)...
    the 1200 (net) calorie floor comes up for plenty of us that select 0.5 lb/wk (the minimum selectable) as well (1200 net --> 0.4 lb/wk last time I recalculated). (thankfully it's net calories and my net maintenance seems to be slightly higher than estimated).
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited September 2017
    Trying to think of my early days on MFP when still trying to get experienced with the system. I appreciated the math behind it and it made complete sense to me, but I struggled initially with trusting the system and always wanting to do more, so while speaking to the forum vets here I was also verify data from multiple sources. After time passed and I was hitting my goals I began to trust the system more and do things like eat back exercise calories and learned to focus on the things that mattered most.

I think some people immediately turn to the forums prior to checking out the site - wanting the social aspect first. Others have no clue that these forums exist. I think many are so indoctrinated with the diet and fitness industry woo it's almost like deprogramming someone who has been brainwashed.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Not trying to be snarky - but everyday I see multiple posts about "how do I determine my calorie goal? Someone help me figure out how much to eat / exercise to meet my goals?"

I find these questions confusing. When I first stumbled upon MFP, it was obvious that I could put in my stats and MFP would help calculate & track this. Yet so many on the Forums seem completely unaware of this.

Maybe someone can help me understand - why don't you take advantage of the MFP calorie goal and tracking? Does MFP need to draw more attention to those features so people know they exist? Do you see the tools but not trust their accuracy? Or is there another reason people come to the MFP site and decline to use the tools they offer?

I also find it confusing why some people post as if MFP has never given them a calorie goal. I thought it was part of the sign up process to enter your stats and get a goal. I didn't think you could post on the forum without going through that.
    I remember getting my first calorie goal from MFP being pretty straight forward and obvious. After getting on the forums and reading several knowledgeable seeming people using TDEE and calculating differently it got confusing if I should do that or use the MFP calorie goal. I stuck with what MFP gave me because it was easy and it worked out fine.
    I guess the only thing I can think of is that people want a complicated formula or special diet plan and didn't get that so think they are missing something.

Well, it's possible that they just clicked through with random stats to be done quickly. I mean, it happens, just like "agree to terms and conditions".

I suppose but that seems like a choice to make things up to get through sign up not actual confusion about how to set a calorie goal.
    No one replying here seems to be confused about how to get a calorie goal from MFP or another calculator so we probably won't know for sure why those people are posting to the forum asking how to figure out their goal. They aren't asking how they go back and edit their stats.