NCAA Football Season 2013 - Official Thread

Options

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    [
    *smh* Now that's funny... Even still, the news channels up here are just now starting to talk about it.. and the local ag fans (alum or not) are all up in arms as if he were the ONLY QB to be investigated for things where money was involved. OU QB Rhett Bomar was kicked off the team back in 2006 for "working" at a local car dealership... but I don't remember all the details about that.

meh, he and another OL (iirc) got paid for hours they didn't work by a known booster at a local car dealership. They had the paper trail on that one though. Small stuff really.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    pre-season polls do more harm than good. It's based on nothing on-the-field and everything about guessing and last year. If a good team gets ranked around 50, they are going to have a difficult road to try to get to the MNC simply because they started so low. I am a proponent of not having any polls until week 1 of October. At least base it on SOMETHING from this year.

Exactly. Pre-season polling is the ONLY reason Auburn was not the 2004 national champions. Pre-season #1 and #2 never lost, so nobody else had a chance. It is bs to declare which teams will get to play assuming a perfect season before the season even starts.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    BTW - I am going to be upset if Manziel get's suspended and denies me the chance to revel in (almost) certain sophomore suckitude.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    GO RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • _noob_
    Options
    BTW - I am going to be upset if Manziel get's suspended and denies me the chance to revel in (almost) certain sophomore suckitude.

dude, we run a mickey mouse offense with better personnel than almost anyone who has ever run a mickey mouse offense. No way he goes downhill with more experience in the offense.

The only thing that kills this offense is if the new WR's we have don't pick it up. And if they do, we have just as fast and talented wideouts with several that are 6'3" plus and can run. We could be scary good on O, and I'm not even talking about our true strength, which is RB and OL.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    [
    *smh* Now that's funny... Even still, the news channels up here are just now starting to talk about it.. and the local ag fans (alum or not) are all up in arms as if he were the ONLY QB to be investigated for things where money was involved. OU QB Rhett Bomar was kicked off the team back in 2006 for "working" at a local car dealership... but I don't remember all the details about that.

meh, he and another OL (iirc) got paid for hours they didn't work by a known booster at a local car dealership. They had the paper trail on that one though. Small stuff really.

Yeah... but what my point is is that IF Manziel is found "guilty" of taking money from someone for his autograph and suspended... He is not the first nor will he be the last College athlete that has been taken down for going against the NCAA rules about money. But it is fun seeing all the aggies being all butthurt over it. Because we are all haters because he is a winner. *snickers*
  • _noob_
    Options
    [

Yeah... but what my point is is that IF Manziel is found "guilty" of taking money from someone for his autograph and suspended... He is not the first nor will he be the last College athlete that has been taken down for going against the NCAA rules about money. But it is fun seeing all the aggies being all butthurt over it. Because we are all haters because he is a winner. *snickers*

I take it you took the *kitten* whooping in last years cotton bowl personal...
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I heard the SEC is going to send one of their lower tiered teams to play the the best players from each Big Ten School - what they are referring to as an All-Star Team for charity.

The SEC??? Isn't that a collection of overgrown community colleges with jails attached for the athletes?

The difference between the Big Ten and the SEC is that the SEC cares about the difference.

IF the Big 10 were WINNING, then it would matter.

If the football players from the SEC were making the news for academic excellence instead of criminal mischief then maybe it would matter.

Cam Newton still does not have a degree. Denard Robinson does. Go figure.

when people start championing off the field accomplishments you know they have lost the debate.

I'm sorry that all you see are work horses whose only purpose in life is to win games for your team. So if thats how you feel then we can agree to disagree.

Its college football. These are young men and human beings. The reason people attend college is to get an education. If you happen can get a championship ring during the process, then thats an excellent bonus. Its people like yourself that only care about one thing and the mentality that the end justifies the means that keep perpetrating the thug mentality. But I guess there hasnt been enough football movies that cover this topic already.

So, we can either care about the student athlete as a whole person or you can just care about what they do only ON the football field like in the case of Aaron Hernandez:

First-team All-American
    First-team All-SEC
    National Champion
    John Mackey Award Winner

When you argue how awesome you are at beating everyone else in the country (at what cost). Clearly that conference is producing top notch quality human beings that contribute greatly to society.

The next time they show a human interest piece regarding players giving back to the community you should switch the channel and talk about how its insignificant because all that matters is winning games and championships. Screw the little kid who just beat cancer.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-browns/0ap2000000226081/Cancer-survivor-scores-touchdown-at-Browns-practice

Cheer for the murderer (alleged)!! :drinker:

(This is the only reply there will be to this as to not derail this great thread)
  • _noob_
    Options
    The reason people attend college is to get an education.

I would think most people attend college to get paid. Just making a gamble that it will pay off in the future. Few people like being educated for their own self edification.
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I heard the SEC is going to send one of their lower tiered teams to play the the best players from each Big Ten School - what they are referring to as an All-Star Team for charity.

The SEC??? Isn't that a collection of overgrown community colleges with jails attached for the athletes?

The difference between the Big Ten and the SEC is that the SEC cares about the difference.

IF the Big 10 were WINNING, then it would matter.

If the football players from the SEC were making the news for academic excellence instead of criminal mischief then maybe it would matter.

Cam Newton still does not have a degree. Denard Robinson does. Go figure.

when people start championing off the field accomplishments you know they have lost the debate.

Hahaha, so true - the Big Ten is a great conference no doubt, though when it comes to Football there is no comparison to the SEC. OSU and Michigan would be decimated playing an SEC schedule year in and out - the injuries would be insurmountable compared to the Big Ten. My favorite team is Kentucky and we lose 8-10 players annually for the season - if not more, because of the non-stop intensity of the league.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    [

I take it you took the *kitten* whooping in last years cotton bowl personal...

Meh... Nope... I have gotten quite accustomed my Sooners inability to remember how to play when it counts... Particularly after the 2004 National Championship game against USC. But I still :heart: them anyway.
  • Kilokato
    Kilokato Posts: 33
    Options
    GO DUCKS!

105940805_crop_650x440.jpg?128821517
  • _noob_
    Options
    Meh... Nope... I have gotten quite accustomed my Sooners inability to remember how to play when it counts... Particularly after the 2004 National Championship game against USC. But I still :heart: them anyway.

in all honesty that had to be a tough game to get motivated for. Other than stopping the heisman winner, there was squat to play for. No championship, disappointing season by the program's standards anyway, and playing a team you play every season.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

in all honesty that had to be a tough game to get motivated for. Other than stopping the heisman winner, there was squat to play for. No championship, disappointing season by the program's standards anyway, and playing a team you play every season.

And it didn't help that OU had a pretty mediocre season anyway. At least compared to the last few years... they were barely winning games that they should have beaten the crap out of the other team (UTEP anyone).
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    2yyd1lc.jpg

GO BUCKS!!!!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

I would think most people attend college to get paid. Just making a gamble that it will pay off in the future. Few people like being educated for their own self edification.

How much money did you just get by typing out all those smart words?
  • mattywesmitchell
    Options
    BOOMER SOONER!!!

Damn straight!!

Make that 3!
  • _noob_
    Options

How much money did you just get by typing out all those smart words?

I'm salaried, so I'll have to estimate here. I think it took me about 10 seconds to think of the reply, 30 to type it, 5 to hit submit and have it go through, so I made about a dollar or so while typing that.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that all you see are work horses whose only purpose in life is to win games for your team. So if thats how you feel then we can agree to disagree.

Its college football. These are young men and human beings. The reason people attend college is to get an education. If you happen can get a championship ring during the process, then thats an excellent bonus. Its people like yourself that only care about one thing and the mentality that the end justifies the means that keep perpetrating the thug mentality. But I guess there hasnt been enough football movies that cover this topic already.

So, we can either care about the student athlete as a whole person or you can just care about what they do only ON the football field like in the case of Aaron Hernandez:

First-team All-American
    First-team All-SEC
    National Champion
    John Mackey Award Winner

When you argue how awesome you are at beating everyone else in the country (at what cost). Clearly that conference is producing top notch quality human beings that contribute greatly to society.

The next time they show a human interest piece regarding players giving back to the community you should switch the channel and talk about how its insignificant because all that matters is winning games and championships. Screw the little kid who just beat cancer.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-browns/0ap2000000226081/Cancer-survivor-scores-touchdown-at-Browns-practice

Cheer for the murderer (alleged)!! :drinker:

(This is the only reply there will be to this as to not derail this great thread)

thats loser talk. when your team isnt winning people will point to off the field achievements, academics blah blah blah. all that matters is wins on the field.

and i love your little notice on the bottom...fits in nicely with that kind of mentality. :D
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    GO DUCKS!

105940805_crop_650x440.jpg?128821517

can i hang out in your new facility? :)