Wish Food Labels Weren't So Scammy!

Options

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »
    Why do they not advertise honestly and offer serving sizes that are realistic? No one eats half a can of ravioli. They eat the whole can, but if they label it as half a serving they can advertise it as 220 calories. Advertising as all natural and healthy when something has added sugars and tons of fillers. I shouldn't have to read every ingredient on every product ever when I am shopping to make sure they aren't lying. The serving sizes need to at least be standardized and companies should not be able to advertise "All Natural Apple Juice" in big letters with Flavored Drink in small letters and a tiny little print on the back that says "contains no fruit juice". You really think that is being honest, and that they don't know they can trick people into thinking it is healthy? I am educated and know what to look for, but tons of people are not so I can see why it is hard for many to lose weight.

To be honest, I eat half a can of something if that's the serving size. We've gotten so used to "Cheesecake Factory"-sized portions that what's normal can be distorted and seem too small.

For me, I start there, with the serving size. I add in veggies and whatever else (maybe protein) and then adjust for next time. Sometimes I do eat more than one serving at once. But I don't start there because my eyes may think I need more than the rest of my body.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    And obviously I am exaggerating, but there does need to be some sort of change and false advertising really needs to be cracked down on.

It's not false advertising to say, for example, 220 calories per serving...can of ravioli contains 2 servings. They're telling you it's 2 servings and each serving is 220 calories...whether you split that with someone else or not would be up to you. Also, serving sizes are established by the FDA, not the company making the product. The FDA is making some changes to their serving sizes to more accurately reflect what an individual would eat...but it's the FDA, not the company making the food that determines what they have to put on the label as a serving.

As far as something like All Natural Apple Juice being a flavored drink instead...I can't say that I've ever seen that.
    I've seen that one quite a bit. In the US, at least, "All Natural" isn't a phrase that the FDA regulates, so companies have a LOT of leeway in terms of when they use it. It's effectively meaningless in terms of giving you information about the product.

In the US, "juice" is a regulated term (probably other places too, but I'm not as familiar).

"Fruit juice" is limited to 100% juice. If other things are added, it has to be called "juice cocktail" or "juice drink." So if OP has seen something called "All natural apple juice" and it has other ingredients, that's something actionable that can be addressed.

I'll be totally honest, I have no idea how something labeled "All Natural Apple Juice Flavored Drink" (I think that's what she said the label read) would be handled. I just wouldn't personally let "All Natural" on the label help me make a decision about the product one way or another.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    And obviously I am exaggerating, but there does need to be some sort of change and false advertising really needs to be cracked down on.

It's not false advertising to say, for example, 220 calories per serving...can of ravioli contains 2 servings. They're telling you it's 2 servings and each serving is 220 calories...whether you split that with someone else or not would be up to you. Also, serving sizes are established by the FDA, not the company making the product. The FDA is making some changes to their serving sizes to more accurately reflect what an individual would eat...but it's the FDA, not the company making the food that determines what they have to put on the label as a serving.

As far as something like All Natural Apple Juice being a flavored drink instead...I can't say that I've ever seen that.
    I've seen that one quite a bit. In the US, at least, "All Natural" isn't a phrase that the FDA regulates, so companies have a LOT of leeway in terms of when they use it. It's effectively meaningless in terms of giving you information about the product.

Hmm...interesting. I'll have to look around. I don't buy a whole lot in terms of juices and whatnot except for low sodium V8 and the juice boxes I get for my kids that are 100% juice with no added sugar. I don't buy a whole lot of packaged goods either other than snacky kind of stuff here and there...but I'm also not really looking for "healthy" with that kind of stuff...just want my Cheetos sometimes...

ETA: I'd be wary of anything marketing itself as "healthy"...not that it's false advertising, but rather, it's a pretty subjective term...it could be that the product is simply high in fiber...or higher in protein, etc...bang..."healthy." Probably the reason that I gravitate to primarily whole foods and minimally processed food goods...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

In the US, "juice" is a regulated term (probably other places too, but I'm not as familiar).

"Fruit juice" is limited to 100% juice. If other things are added, it has to be called "juice cocktail" or "juice drink." So if OP has seen something called "All natural apple juice" and it has other ingredients, that's something actionable that can be addressed.

I'll be totally honest, I have no idea how something labeled "All Natural Apple Juice Flavored Drink" (I think that's what she said the label read) would be handled. I just wouldn't personally let "All Natural" on the label help me make a decision about the product one way or another.

Setting aside the "all natural" (which I agree isn't useful for making purchasing decisions), I think a company that was making a juice drink, adding sugar, and putting something like "All natural apple juice" on the front of a bottle and "flavored drink" on the back would be in trouble. FDA guidelines are pretty clear on this.

(I'm assuming OP is in the US, she may not be).
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    In the US, serving sizes are based on FDA databases. They aren't determined by the companies. The serving size is based on what consumers self-report as a typical serving of types of food.

I get what you're saying but the people self-reporting lie. A serving size of Doritos is something like 13 chips. Who in the world only eats 13 Doritos at a sitting? It's impossible.

First, it's not impossible. I often eat just a single serving of foods, including tortilla chips. It may be challenging for some people or with some foods, but it's done.

Second, I know self-reporting is an issue and I'm not defending it as some sort of accurate process. I think there is room for a conversation about how it could be improved. I'm simply pointing out that companies aren't determining the serving size. It's done by the FDA.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I remember the good old days when I could eat a box of Oreos and feign ignorance of the nutritional data clearly printed on the back. "Doo di doo, I'm not looking at you, Mr. Oreo Box!" It is a harsh dose of reality when you realize 25 servings is somewhat more than 100 calories. Nowadays I just try to limit it to one sleeve, what with all my healthy eating and such.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight counting calories was in the late 70s. There were NO nutrition labels back then. You had to look up generic foods in a book and use the generic calories listed, like "Tomato soup 100 calories" or whatever. Having any kind of nutrition label is a god-send!
    Nonetheless, I recently noticed that a favorite frozen entree, items almost ALWAYS intended as single serving unless labelled as "family size" or "large size", was actually listed as 2 servings. That was annoying, but completely my fault for not reading that before.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    The only package I've ever been frustrated by was a box of granola cereal. When looking more closely at the box, it said 10 servings per package, but there were four individual inner packages. Yup, each inner package was 2.5 servings. Fortunately, I read the box and weighed the serving.

It seems to me that you are becoming increasingly aware of foods and food labels, and seeing demons where there really isn't anything. Things that are right on the label aren't hidden. Serving sizes that are right on the label aren't hidden. It's like with everything else you purchase (vehicles, homes, etc.) it is on you to educate yourself. Keep working at it, keep learning.

The only label to ever defeat me was/is microwave popcorn. It can be really confusing (unless there is a trick that I'm missing).

I usually just air-pop anyway.

Oh my gosh! Yes! Just tell me how many calories the whole stupid bag is, because I'm going to eat it all myself anyway!

Yeah, we can argue all day about whether anyone just eats one serving of whatever, but I am HIGHLY skeptical that many people pop up a bag of microwave popcorn and don't eat the whole dang thing, potentially split with whoever happens to be around. I guess if you split it with 1.5 other people you might be good? Sadly, I failed at self-control too many times and had to take myself off microwave popcorn entirely for the time being and switch to pre-popped.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    i3cxoyyt7aq5.jpg
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    In the US, serving sizes are based on FDA databases. They aren't determined by the companies. The serving size is based on what consumers self-report as a typical serving of types of food.

I get what you're saying but the people self-reporting lie. A serving size of Doritos is something like 13 chips. Who in the world only eats 13 Doritos at a sitting? It's impossible.

First, it's not impossible. I often eat just a single serving of foods, including tortilla chips. It may be challenging for some people or with some foods, but it's done.

Second, I know self-reporting is an issue and I'm not defending it as some sort of accurate process. I think there is room for a conversation about how it could be improved. I'm simply pointing out that companies aren't determining the serving size. It's done by the FDA.
    @janejellyroll Do you know what is the definition of a serving size?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

They make single serve bags of Doritos and other chips...never counted how many chips, but it's not that many...but that's what I eat when I want Doritos or Cheetos or something. I get the single serve bags as otherwise I would indeed chow down...single serve and I'm limited to that serving...
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

@janejellyroll Do you know what is the definition of a serving size?

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the question.

Are you asking how the FDA defines the term "serving size" or are you asking how they determine what the serving size of a food is? If it's the latter, it's based on self-reporting from individuals of how much they eat (I don't know how they find their focus groups for this or how large the groups were).

Again, I'm not defending this is an accurate practice, because I think we all know how wonky self-reporting can be. I'm just pointing out that it isn't determined by the companies. When a company prints that there are 2.5 servings in a bag of chips, that's based on an FDA determination of what a serving size of potato chips is, it isn't Frito-Lay trying to get one over on us.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am the only one responsible for what I eat and part of that responsibility includes reading labels, knowing portion sizes, etc. Of course companies aren't going to spell it out or make it easy for you, if they did, you wouldn't grab that bag of chips that's actually 3 servings and eat the whole thing, because then they won't make money.