Wish Food Labels Weren't So Scammy!

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I am the only one responsible for what I eat and part of that responsibility includes reading labels, knowing portion sizes, etc. Of course companies aren't going to spell it out or make it easy for you, if they did, you wouldn't grab that bag of chips that's actually 3 servings and eat the whole thing, because then they won't make money.

Many chip companies sell single-serving bags (real single serving bags) and they seem to be doing fine. I ate a single serving bag of Lay's chips just the other day.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    In the US, serving sizes are based on FDA databases. They aren't determined by the companies. The serving size is based on what consumers self-report as a typical serving of types of food.

I get what you're saying but the people self-reporting lie. A serving size of Doritos is something like 13 chips. Who in the world only eats 13 Doritos at a sitting? It's impossible.

First, it's not impossible. I often eat just a single serving of foods, including tortilla chips. It may be challenging for some people or with some foods, but it's done.

Second, I know self-reporting is an issue and I'm not defending it as some sort of accurate process. I think there is room for a conversation about how it could be improved. I'm simply pointing out that companies aren't determining the serving size. It's done by the FDA.
    @janejellyroll Do you know what is the definition of a serving size?

I do! It's the serving that you serve yourself.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    "If it seems too good to be true it probably is."
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    They do sometimes spin products as lower calorie on the front because people might not look to see how big that serving size is or look at ingredients.
    Read the actual nutrition label not just the front where they are trying to sell the product.
    Weigh things to check portion size.
    Buy more non-packaged foods. An apple, carrots, or cheese are probably not going to fool you into thinking are eating 1 serving when you are really eating 25 servings.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am the only one responsible for what I eat and part of that responsibility includes reading labels, knowing portion sizes, etc. Of course companies aren't going to spell it out or make it easy for you, if they did, you wouldn't grab that bag of chips that's actually 3 servings and eat the whole thing, because then they won't make money.

Many chip companies sell single-serving bags (real single serving bags) and they seem to be doing fine. I ate a single serving bag of Lay's chips just the other day.

You are right, but sometimes we still have to read the label to know even if it's a single serving bag. Or if it isn't.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »
    Why do they not advertise honestly and offer serving sizes that are realistic? No one eats half a can of ravioli.

Speak for yourself. Some of us understand portion control.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

You are right, but sometimes we still have to read the label to know even if it's a single serving bag. Or if it isn't.

Yes, because of the air in the bags, the single serving size bag doesn't look much different than the slightly bigger bag.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Of course you do...but as has been stated, what constitutes a serving size is established by the FDA...a 3 serving bag of chips is going to be a mediumish sized bag...I would be able to tell by looking that it isn't one serving and would look at the label to determine how many servings it is...but I'd know right away that it wasn't one.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I don't see reading the label as an imposition, I guess. I mean, some foods are packaged in single servings, some foods are packaged in multiple servings. It always make sense to take a quick look at the package to check if your assumption is the right one.

Companies that make foods people want to eat will make money despite packaging because you've got all kinds of customers -- people who want to buy single servings of foods, people who want to buy and eat multiple servings at a time, and people who are buying multiple servings because they're actually feeding multiple people.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    To everyone who thinks the confusion is silly, lots of people are confused, which is why the FDA is changing label requirements.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm

... we are making important updates to ensure consumers have access to the information they need to make informed decisions about the foods they eat. These changes include increasing the type size for “Calories,” “servings per container,” and the “Serving size” declaration, and bolding the number of calories and the “Serving size” declaration to highlight this information.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    In the US, serving sizes are based on FDA databases. They aren't determined by the companies. The serving size is based on what consumers self-report as a typical serving of types of food.

I get what you're saying but the people self-reporting lie. A serving size of Doritos is something like 13 chips. Who in the world only eats 13 Doritos at a sitting? It's impossible.

First, it's not impossible. I often eat just a single serving of foods, including tortilla chips. It may be challenging for some people or with some foods, but it's done.

Second, I know self-reporting is an issue and I'm not defending it as some sort of accurate process. I think there is room for a conversation about how it could be improved. I'm simply pointing out that companies aren't determining the serving size. It's done by the FDA.
    @janejellyroll Do you know what is the definition of a serving size?

Right? And then the whole "hidden sugar" thing, which was actually a thing for a while because as soon as sugar became evil manufacturers switched to using everything that could be used as a sweetener that wasn't actually table sugar. You practically had to carry around a list of things that were sugar besides the obvious maple syrup and honey. It was a great day when labels were required to include "total sugar" on the label whatever it was called.

eta: I was trying to quote lorrpb's comment on pre-required labels, not sure why Jane's comments showed up instead. Sorry. :o
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Of course you do...but as has been stated, what constitutes a serving size is established by the FDA...a 3 serving bag of chips is going to be a mediumish sized bag...I would be able to tell by looking that it isn't one serving and would look at the label to determine how many servings it is...but I'd know right away that it wasn't one.

The single serving chips (at least the ones that I buy) have a bag that is about the size of my hand, maybe a little bigger. They're clearly smaller than the "big grab" bags of the same product that have 2.5 or 3 servings.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »
    "Only 100 calories!" the label exclaims in a giant bright star. "Wow!" I think. I have finally found it, a healthy food with minimal calories! I eat a whole box and am surprised to find I feel bloated. Hmm. Did I read the label wrong? I go to investigate, and lo and behold, it is in fact a 100 calories....but there are 25 servings of 0.01257^2 *x2= pi circular cuboidal grams. Of course I did not measure that out, thinking I could rely on the company to be honest and forward with their nutrition information.

Or my breathe is a bit gross after working out, and I want something sweet, so I eat a pack of no-sugar Tic Tacs. Later on the internet I learn that in fact they are 100% sugar, but since the serving size is 1 tic tac, they can use a legal loop hole to label their candy no calorie no sugar.

Of course these are somewhat of an exaggeration, but I am so frustrated with having to shop for hours to find actually healthy food, which is rare. And having to carefully examine ingredients to make sure I do not get tricked into thinking I ate a healthy meal when I did in fact not. Why can't food companies just be honest or sell their products in single serve sizes? I hope their is an overhaul soon to fix this.

Of course I could buy only chicken and vegetables and weigh them, but working a busy schedule this is unrealistic for me and it won't stick.

The calorie counts on packaged foods and some drinks are for the birds. Literally. Because you usually have to multiply by 2 or 3 to get a human portion. Given that most people don't weight and/or measure the food, it is malpractice on the part of the FDA.

I recently bought some blueberry drink. Calorie count was reasonable. After I drank it I read the label again. There were two servings. Ridiculous.

How would that be malpractice on the part of the FDA? The FDA determined a serving size of that beverage is...the company decided how much to include in the product as per what the demand is for that product.

For most people, the nutritional information is just a bunch of numbers anyway...XXX calories is pretty meaningless information for most people. Before I got into nutrition, you could tell me something was whatever calories and I'd just stare at you blankly because it's meaningless without context...most people don't even know what a calorie is or how many calories they need anyway...
  • janejellyroll
    Options

A serving of fruit gums is 8.....they are TINY.

Swedish Fish are the same way. I used to eat them all the time, but it's just not worth it anymore.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I just want to say on the idea that no one eats half a can of ravioli that things like canned ravioli are what I picture a child eating and they don't all eat whole cans of ravioli at one sitting.
    You really have to decide how much you are going to eat of something and figure out how many calories that is.