Losing inches but not lbs

Options
Hi all! I am hoping to get a bit of your insight here. I’m a 24 y/o and my height is 5 ft 1 and my weight is 107lbs ( 49 kg). The thing is that I have started intense cardio since the last month and I see visible changes in my body, such as flat abs, tighter hamstrings and glutes, fully toned arms etc. I am also watching my calories, but the weight hasn’t changed, which i find odd. Is there anything that I am doing wrong?

Replies

• Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    haniame wrote: »
    Hi all! I am hoping to get a bit of your insight here. I’m a 24 y/o and my height is 5 ft 1 and my weight is 107lbs ( 49 kg). The thing is that I have started intense cardio since the last month and I see visible changes in my body, such as flat abs, tighter hamstrings and glutes, fully toned arms etc. I am also watching my calories, but the weight hasn’t changed, which i find odd. Is there anything that I am doing wrong?

You're seeing all the right changes! Don't worry about the scale. The results you see are the better muscle tone, not a lower scale number. Hopefully you're not trying to lose more than a couple of pounds at a starting weight of 107. So minor water changes due to exercise and sodium and hormones can easily mask any weight change from fat loss. If you focus on the scale number, it's too easy to lose the muscle mass you want to keep.
  • haniame
    haniame Posts: 97 Member
    Options

how much weight are you trying to lose given that you are only 107 lbs to start with????
    Meghanebk wrote: »
    "haniame wrote: »

You're seeing all the right changes! Don't worry about the scale. The results you see are the better muscle tone, not a lower scale number. Hopefully you're not trying to lose more than a couple of pounds at a starting weight of 107. So minor water changes due to exercise and sodium and hormones can easily mask any weight change from fat loss. If you focus on the scale number, it's too easy to lose the muscle mass you want to keep.
    You'll only lose weight if you're eating less than you burn.

But at 107 I don't understand why you'd want to lose more weight if you already have "tone."

BASICALLY, I see a lot of cellulite buildup on my thighs and i just wanna see that gone. Plus I’m 107 @ 5ft1 so that isn’t a low weight. And I want to loose about 2-4 lbs max.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

But at 107 I don't understand why you'd want to lose more weight if you already have "tone."

This.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

how much weight are you trying to lose given that you are only 107 lbs to start with????

BASICALLY, I see a lot of cellulite buildup on my thighs and i just wanna see that gone. Plus I’m 107 @ 5ft1 so that isn’t a low weight. And I want to loose about 2-4 lbs max.

In that case, start lifting. Adding some muscle mass will help firm up those areas, but continue your healthy diet as this will boost results.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the answer is, but my weight frequently remains stable while my clothes seem to get bigger. I try to focus on the weight on the barbell, not the weight on the scale, but damn, it'd be nice to see the scale move, you know?
  • haniame
    Options
    I don't know what the answer is, but my weight frequently remains stable while my clothes seem to get bigger. I try to focus on the weight on the barbell, not the weight on the scale, but damn, it'd be nice to see the scale move, you know?

I know right? Like please what am I sweating like a dog for??
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

I'm 4'11 and my goal weight is 135. I spoke to a trainer who thinks I won't get below 140 since my goal is fat loss and muscle gain.

My sister is 5' and about 100lbs. She's skin and bones.

So even for 5'1 107lbs is a low weight.

If your only problem is cellulite then you need to start lifting more and ditch the cardio. That will tone up your legs. But expect the scale to go up with muscle gain.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Sorry, what's the problem?
  • haniame
    Options

Weight loss.
  • haniame
    Options

I'm 4'11 and my goal weight is 135. I spoke to a trainer who thinks I won't get below 140 since my goal is fat loss and muscle gain.

My sister is 5' and about 100lbs. She's skin and bones.

So even for 5'1 107lbs is a low weight.

If your only problem is cellulite then you need to start lifting more and ditch the cardio. That will tone up your legs. But expect the scale to go up with muscle gain.

Thanks! Then i guess it’s going well. I didn’t have much fat to begin with so i guess the muscle buildup has been a quick process
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sorry but muscle buildup is not a quick process
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Weight loss.
    Most people say "lose weight" as a proxy for achieving a certain body ideal. Sounds like you are making progress towards that body ideal, so why does the number on the scale matter?
  • haniame
    Options

When i say quick i mean over 2 months. :)
  • singingflutelady
    edited September 2017
    Options

When i say quick i mean over 2 months. :)

How much muscle do you think you have gained in 2 months?
  • haniame
    Options

Weight loss.
    Most people say "lose weight" as a proxy for achieving a certain body ideal. Sounds like you are making progress towards that body ideal, so why does the number on the scale matter?

BECAUSE i REALLY liked the way i look when I’m between wee 103-105 lbs.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Also are you lifting?