Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat, the new normal

Options
124»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    Very useful charts - they clearly show that I'm too short.

Sounds like you need to do more stretching.

I need to get the inversion table out after squat and deadlifts and hang for bit.

Last annual Dr visit I discovered I'm actually going the wrong way on the chart, so better stretching too!
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    Very useful charts - they clearly show that I'm too short.

Sounds like you need to do more stretching.

I need to get the inversion table out after squat and deadlifts and hang for bit.

Last annual Dr visit I discovered I'm actually going the wrong way on the chart, so better stretching too!

I recently went to a chiropractor for the first time and found a missing 1/2 inch of spine that I haven't had for about 3 years lol.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I wish we still saw a BMI in the healthy range as normal. So many people don't even think they are that fat because "well I still fit into ____ size and I am smaller than everyone else" even if they are overweight. Saw new numbers showing 40% are obese and 80% americans are overweight. Overweight IS the new normal when a majority of the population is overweight/obese. Not many people left who are actually at a healthy weight so when you see them, people think normal weight people are "too skinny" simply because we are used to seeing overweight and obese people. I hate the fact it is like this. In 50 years obesity WILL be normal at the rate we are going. I bet 97% will be obese/overweight by then.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    cjpnh wrote: »
    4xhe1c0g2adr.jpeg
    I'm obviously obese based on these charts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Dude, you need to spend some time at the gym.

:trollface:
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of BMI and I have stated this time and time again. According to BMI I am pretty much obese. Well, I am 28.2 (kinda in the middle of 'overweight'). Now, I could absolutely stand to loose 10 lbs. I would be awesome and amazing at 198lbs. Still overweight - according to BMI. I will show you 'overweight'! LOL!

I think that it is a guideline.....and a poor one at that, but a guideline.

And, I agree more and more with the "but I am average" thought process that a lot of people seem to have. Average? Really? Compared to what? I knew someone who wore a size 16 pant and she told me that this was the most common size for a woman's pant. She is 5'10" and carries herself very well. Not everyone else is 5'10"!

Now, if we are looking at the average person - who is at the least overweight if not obese - then I am not sure that I would want to make the comment "I am average" (read: I look like everyone else). And, please, I am not being ugly with this at all. It is just a HUGE concern of mine at how inactive and out of shape the people in this country have become. This is *NOT* a good trend.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    My take on this thread: All charts are BS .... find a weight YOU feel and look good at and then maintain it. Don't let some crazy number on a chart be your goal lol
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    @Go_Deskercise - agreed! Well stated. Kinda like "don't let the number on the scale for this one day blow your mind". Find a range that works for you and rock it!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Interesting chart! it tells me what I already thought according to my wrists - I am more than medium frame but not quite large framed. The weight I shouldn't exceed to be healthy is apparently 118. I maintain at 125-128lbs. People tell me I am skinny now but perhaps its because everyone does think its normal to look heavier. I'm happy with my weight now in general, having a BMI of 23 is healthy imo.

Charts perhaps should be taken with a pinch of salt.