RIP Hef!

Options

Replies

• browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    Can you imagine where we would be had he not started the magazine when he did? Some call him the leader of the sexual revolution. Some call him a feminist. He gave to charities. IMO, he was an amazing human being. Not to mention he gave millions of young men their first images of naked women that they filed in their spank bank. #RIPHugh
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Can you imagine where we would be had he not started the magazine when he did? Some call him the leader of the sexual revolution. Some call him a feminist. He gave to charities. IMO, he was an amazing human being. Not to mention he gave millions of young men their first images of naked women that they filed in their spank bank. #RIPHugh

Omg he was NOT a feminist, that’s for certain. Misogynist, sure.
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    MichSmish wrote: »

*kitten*.

His mode of feminism was outdated by NOW, for sure. Most of his ideals about sexual liberation are hardly controversial now, except among the puritanical right. But he was unquestionably a feminist. He stood up for womens' rights, empowerment, and sexual liberation at a time when women were expected to shut up, stay in the kitchen, take care of the kids, and take a good beating from their husbands now and again. He put women in positions of power in his company at a time when it was unheard of. He also published important articles on race, civil rights, and LGBTQ rights.

Yes, he had trouble keeping up with the times the last decade or so. Progressivism evolved beyond him, he could have done better in more recent times. But to deny the contributions he made, the revolution he fueled, is foolish.

Well said.

5e5ybas4q399.gif
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I saw somebody on Twitter last night say that if Hefner had died just 10 years ago he would have been remembered very differently. I think that's unfortunately true.

My only hope is that people listen to the millions of women lamenting his passing and praising the ways he made the lives of women better, fuller, freer.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

*kitten*.

His mode of feminism was outdated by NOW, for sure. Most of his ideals about sexual liberation are hardly controversial now, except among the puritanical right. But he was unquestionably a feminist. He stood up for womens' rights, empowerment, and sexual liberation at a time when women were expected to shut up, stay in the kitchen, take care of the kids, and take a good beating from their husbands now and again. He put women in positions of power in his company at a time when it was unheard of. He also published important articles on race, civil rights, and LGBTQ rights.

Yes, he had trouble keeping up with the times the last decade or so. Progressivism evolved beyond him, he could have done better in more recent times. But to deny the contributions he made, the revolution he fueled, is foolish.

Agreed, excellently put. Context is important and for his time it made incredible waves for women and there are negatives for it now but the movement he made is undeniable.

• SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Uh oh we're on to feminism already. Waiting for the religious talk..
    x4mxa219pskk.gif
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options

Without Hef, Cosby would have had to find somewhere else to cheat on his wife and roofie women.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

life is full of trade-offs, it damn sure is.

I reckon that a lil' misogyny helped me thru my teenage years. *shrug

When I was in college, I knew a few of Hugh's crew.
    Believe me, they loved the attention.... the experience made me think: who was working whom?
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Other than Barbi Benton, did he ever have sex with brunettes?

I'm pretty sure they're all brunettes under the bleach.

I've seen the centerfolds.
    The carpets did not always match the drapes.

We were just discussing carpets and drapes in the singles hangout :lol:
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine commented on Facebook that Hugh Hefner is going to be buried in the back of your dad's sock drawer.

Playboy's "Girls of the Big East" issue came out when I was in college. My roommate (who was much more bunny material than I was) was selected to be included in the pictorial, but ended up not going forward with it.

There was one professor at my school who did have a striking resemblance to Hef. At the end of each semester, following the final exam, he would host "The Bio Answer Show" (featuring the answers to all the exam questions) on the campus tv station. One year a friend of mine was producing the show and asked me and another friend to appear with the professor...with him dressed as Hugh Hefner and us as his bunnies. I am convinced that should I ever run for office, the long lost footage of this show will somehow reappear.