Massive Bellies

Options
ChgingMe
ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
Let me start out by saying I am in no way here to judge or condemn. This is strictly curiosity on my part as an almost 50 year old woman. Yesterday in the mall I was sitting in the food court with my 18 year old. A group of young adults who I am going to guess were between the ages of 18 and 25 walked by. One of the girls had a belly that hung down below her shirt and rested on the tops of her thighs. I have lived a lot of years and seen a lot of things. But for the life of me I can not figure out how a body does that at such a young age. I know right after I had my daughter I had a big belly but it never hung down below my waist so much it came out of the bottom of my clothes.

Even now. With my belly fat it does not present itself like that. She was not an obese person, a little overweight yes. But the belly thing has really bothered me. Maybe I shouldn't care at all, but it totally took me aback. You mostly see bellies like that on your pot bellied grand daddy.. What are our kids eating that makes the body react like that? And it wasn't a case of drastic weight loss as the rest of her body wasn't like that. Just her belly. Just had to get this off my chest..

Replies

• Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Genetics. Same reason some people have stretch marks, or freckles, or cellulite, etc.
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Surgery such as a c section or histerectomy can cause this by cutting the muscle that hold the belly in place. If the muscle doesn't heal correctly.
  • JSA17
    JSA17 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think you're being quite judgemental here. If you're 50 and you've "seen a lot of things" as you say then you should know well enough to NOT judge people based on their appearances. Perhaps she has a condition? Or an illness? I mean, come on! Yeah, maybe she's just overweight or whatever she eats goes straight to her tummy just like the rest of us who have a "problem zone"...?

I'm so irritated by this thread. How about you show us a picture of you so we can ask you why certain things are the way they are on your body?????
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Loose skin? Maybe she had just lost a lot of weight. More likely, it's none of your business.
  • JSA17
    Options
    Loose skin? Maybe she had just lost a lot of weight. More likely, it's none of your business.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Perhaps she has a medical condition? What an odd topic.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    you should have asked her directly.
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    Options
    I think you're being quite judgemental here. If you're 50 and you've "seen a lot of things" as you say then you should know well enough to NOT judge people based on their appearances. Perhaps she has a condition? Or an illness? I mean, come on! Yeah, maybe she's just overweight or whatever she eats goes straight to her tummy just like the rest of us who have a "problem zone"...?

I'm so irritated by this thread. How about you show us a picture of you so we can ask you why certain things are the way they are on your body?????

Oh my goodness, she is asking a question chill out.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Loose skin or stretch mark will be gone or fade away for years of dieting and exercising,, supplements can help too
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Weird thing to be curious about. Your life must be full of excitement.
  • JSA17
    Options
    P.S-I don't care if you're fat. And if I saw what you looked like I certainly wouldn't ask why you looked the way you do.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    you have no idea if this young lady has lost 100 pounds, if she had a scarring surgery, if she had a child and is recovering. you don't know her, why would you ever care about how her stomach looks?

and i find it hard to believe that you've "never seen" anything like a belly with loose skin. maybe you shouldn't go out in public if you're so offended by other people's bodies.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I somewhat agree, but I think today people wear less clothing and tighter clothes. Growing up in the late80's and early 90's, it seemed like I had never seen the belly hang back then because it was probably covered up with hip hugger jeans and girls back then had "puffy, big hair" that may have made their bellies look smaller.
  • amj3303
    amj3303 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    and she deactivated her account lol
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have a nasty belly and it's been that way since my first child at 21. I never went back to normal, it just always hung. I gained 60 lbs in that pregnancy.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    "ChgingMe has deactivated their account."
  • busy91
    busy91 Posts: 15
    Options
    Everyone's fat presents itself differently. I ihave a belly, that is both petruding above the belly button and hangs a little below my waist. I am overweight, not obese. The doctor said the belly is due to metobolic syndrome. Perhaps she has this. Or maybe, like someone else said, she lost a large amount of weight recently and the skin has not snapped back yet. Who knows. I've seen all kinds of belly fat. Nothing surprises me anymore.
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^Absolutely
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i don't understand. she was doubting why she should care about this woman's body. she said "maybe i shouldn't even care." if you post something and KNOW what the response is going to be already, why get upset when you get that response?

i'm not sure what she was getting at. did she want everyone to say "yeah that woman we've never seen in a random mall in a random town sure does have a nasty belly"
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with what she's eating. It could be any number of things. Genetics (not every one stores body fat the same, ya know), weight loss (I know you say it wasn't that but seriously, how could you tell? even if you had also oggled her thighs, arms, back, etc, why would you assume that you'd see signs elsewhere? ridiculous), or from a previous pregnancy, etc.