Booty Building

Options
2»

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Barbell hip thrust and GHD both activate glutes a lot more than squats do. You should probably squat as well, but those two will give you much better butt gains.

What is GHD? Sorry, I probably know, but it's not ringing a bell.

I agree with everyone about hip thrusts and strong curves. More calories and protein.

Do you all think hip thrusts are sufficient. Or do you think it's very helpful to join a gym and use the quadruped hip extension machine (butt blaster or something like that), basically weighted kick backs on hands and knees?

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Barbell hip thrust and GHD both activate glutes a lot more than squats do. You should probably squat as well, but those two will give you much better butt gains.

I agree with everyone about hip thrusts and strong curves. More calories and protein.

Do you all think hip thrusts are sufficient. Or do you think it's very helpful to join a gym and use the quadruped hip extension machine (butt blaster or something like that), basically weighted kick backs on hands and knees?

While hip thrusts are great and my main glute builder, I do a huge variety of exercises to hit them from all angles. Strong Curves has many substitutions for exercises, you definitely do not need to join a gym to make it work.

What kind of equipment do you have ? You can do hip thrusts using bodyweight, bands, dumbbells in the beginning but over time as you get stronger it is easier to progress with a barbell.

I workout at home so I don't have any fancy equipment (except maybe a standard cable machine) even if you don't have that, you can do kickbacks and abductions with bands and add an ankle weight

• BinaryPulsar
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

While hip thrusts are great and my main glute builder, I do a huge variety of exercises to hit them from all angles. Strong Curves has many substitutions for exercises, you definitely do not need to join a gym to make it work.

What kind of equipment do you have ? You can do hip thrusts using bodyweight, bands, dumbbells in the beginning but over time as you get stronger it is easier to progress with a barbell.

I workout at home so I don't have any fancy equipment (except maybe a standard cable machine) even if you don't have that, you can do kickbacks and abductions with bands and add an ankle weight

Thanks. I do barbell hip thrusts with a barbell and plates at home.

I do have an ankle weight. It's ten pounds. Is it worth doing the quadruped hip extension kick backs with that?

My apartment has a weight room. I think they had a cable. But, last I checked it was broken. Maybe we can fix that.

I have a gym membership, but it's on hold for now, while I decide.
  • sardelsa
    Options

I do have an ankle weight. It's ten pounds. Is it worth doing the quadruped hip extension kick backs with that?

My apartment has a weight room. I think they had a cable. But, last I checked it was broken. Maybe we can fix that.

Yea I've done them like that with the ankle weight. Bands are great too for added resistance.

I've never used a butt blaster, leg press, GHD.. I use my bench to do back extensions and reverse hypers and I actually don't even squat heavy (since I don't have a rack) so I still get it done despite limited equipment.

• BinaryPulsar
    Options

Yea I've done them like that with the ankle weight. Bands are great too for added resistance.

I've never used a butt blaster, leg press, GHD.. I use my bench to do back extensions and reverse hypers and I actually don't even squat heavy (since I don't have a rack) so I still get it done despite limited equipment.

Wonderful! Thanks so much! Oh, what is GHD?
  • sardelsa
    Options

Wonderful! Thanks so much! Oh, what is GHD?

No problem!

It's a type of machine, it stands for "glute ham developer"
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Thanks @sardelsa
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    EMG activation results for various exercises and some progression ideas from Contreras if you don't want to buy Strong Curves:
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/inside-the-muscles-best-leg-glute-and-calf-exercises
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/dispelling-the-glute-myth
  • GerlaineGerry
    GerlaineGerry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Weighted squats, lunges, leg press, etc. lifting heavy will build muscle, not only in your butt! Make sure you hit all parts of the glute muscles. Vary your workouts one day heavy, next time include some plyos and then lower weights with higher rep.